Photo

Has Anyone Run the HD500 Through the AMPLIFi?

amplifi hd500 pod

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

I am still looking for a portable FRFR solution for my HD500.  I am very happy with the 500, my JTV, my DT25 head and my Rocktron Velocity 300.  However, I don't always want to lug the DT and my 2X12 cab or the Rocktron with a pair of Peavey 15" PA cabs!  I want a portable FRFR solution that is easy to carry and won't break the bank.

I am well aware of the L2T and all its features but $850 is hard to part with.  There are competitive products out there but I just don't like carrying a funky looking active monitor to a gig.  I was hoping Behringer would release their new keyboard amp as that looked promising but who knows if its ever coming.  For stereo all these solutions require me to buy two of them and that jacks the cost up again.

So here comes the AMPLIFi and I have been one of the many saying "cute, but not for me".  Doesn't support the JTV or the POD.  However, I have since learned that I can plug the POD into the aux input and actually have a nice stereo amp that is easy to carry out.  I am not sure but I also believe I can stream tunes at the same time.  As a bonus I can just grab it and a guitar and sit in in a pinch with nothing else.

What I want to know is if anyone else has actually used it this way and what was your experience?  Is this a viable setup?  Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking this would make a nice stereo FRFR for my POD/JTV while still giving me decent stand alone capabilities?

Why one earth they didn't just build in 1/4 stereo input jacks is beyond me...

Picture4.png

#2 RIblues

RIblues

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

"Why one earth they didn't just build in 1/4 stereo input jacks is beyond me..."

Probably cost. Can you use a "Y" cable?

http://www.amazon.co...s to 1/8 stereo

I would like to know how the specs compare between the outs of the pod and the input of the Amplifi before I tried it.

#3 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5549 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

I tried it shortly, and it sounded fine to me. The biggest issue is that with the 1/8" input, there's not a whole lot of lateral support for whatever you plug in there. I had a little 1/8" jumper cable with a right angle plug that I plugged into the jack to provide some strain relief, and that helped. As far as what outputs to use, I think I used the 1/4" outs from the POD and used adapters to go the 1/8" jack on the Amplifi.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#4 brue58ski

brue58ski

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Not a bad idea. But not until Amplifi is compatible with Android.

#5 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

"Why one earth they didn't just build in 1/4 stereo input jacks is beyond me..."

Probably cost. Can you use a "Y" cable?

http://www.amazon.co...s to 1/8 stereo

I would like to know how the specs compare between the outs of the pod and the input of the Amplifi before I tried it.

On a $400-500 piece of gear adding a pair $1 jacks wouldn't have made a difference...  I am sure a stereo cable adapter is easily made...  interesting about matching specs, I just want to hear anyone actually doing it...

Picture4.png

#6 darwan23

darwan23

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

And what about this piece of gear instead of Amplifi?

The number of inputs is IMHO optimal and support technician from Laney confirmed me that its frequency response is relatively flat (-/+ 4 dB)
I don’t have one yet but it is a serious candidate for my needs similar as Radatats has.

#7 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

And what about this piece of gear instead of Amplifi?

Looks pretty good and price is reasonable.  However, it is still a mono piece of gear.  The AMPLIFi has the stereo edge if it all works out.

Picture4.png

#8 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

I stopped in to Altos  today and got hands on the AMPLIFi.  Nice piece of gear but its definitely not for me.  The mini stereo in on the back and the useless USB is just too much to get over when I don't even own any Apple gear either.  However, I still love the concept of a 1X12 combo form factor stereo FRFR amp/cab.

So I spent a few hours and burned some brain cells at Parts Express and I have a couple of different parts lists lined up to make my own.  Looks promising too.  No modeling of course but 600 wats tri amped with subwoofer and stereo FR driver/tweeter is definitely doable for under $400.  All high quality parts too.  No need to use a guitar speaker as it will be more of a one piece stereo PA under 40lbs with no compromises..

A lot more planning to do but I know what my next project is...

Apparently others had similar ideas...

http://www.parts-exp...ect-the-podzuma

http://www.parts-exp...he-workshop-box

http://www.parts-exp...er-sound-system

Picture4.png

#9 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

so this is starting to come together.  Same size as AMPLIFi 150, same weight more or less.  6 channel amp (6X100W) gives tri amp to subwoofer, mid-bass and tweeter.  Each speaker gets 100W with the dual voice coil sub getting 200W.  Crossover handled by separate LP, HP and BP filters. Behringer Q502USB mixer built in to handle all inputs, outputs, controls, EQ and mixing with USB capabilities too.  So far total cost for all components including the mixer is under $350 . Another $50 tops for materials and hardware.  Should be a monster for under $400...  Sealed box for the sub with ported boxes for the mid/bass, dimensions calculated from driver T-S parameters.  Pretty simple construction, basic woodworking, soldering and wiring skills will do everything...

Check out my mockup at https://tinkercad.co...ngs/0FclgQ8m0TDhttps://tinkercad.co...ngs/bXQrY8BSCi4.

Click the 3D button to zoom in and look around...  

Comments welcome...

Picture4.png

#10 seratone

seratone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

I was really excited when I heard that some people were having good results plugging in the HD500's to Amplifi - having tried various Amps with the four cable method, various output configurations, Keyboard Amps, PA Systems - it all sounded really nasty. I was starting to think all these people posting didn't really know what good sound was. I even  I even abandoned my POD for a while and slapped a Cabinet Simulator on my pedalboard for headphone practice.

I really seems that the only way to amplify a POD HD 500 is through Line 6 Gear like the Stage Source Speakers or the D-25. (I don't even think the Tech 21 Power Engine works that well). 

It was disappointing to find out they've used X3 Technology, and the 1/8" jacks, but it's not a deal breaker if it sounds good - certainly of the 150 Watt one can be played with a band.

My Question - I thought when you plugged a guitar into Amplifi, the speakers configured themselves so the majority of the signal came through the Driver and time based effects came through the tweeters in stereo (or whatever they are)...and when you streamed music to the the unit the driver became the sub.....wouldn't that suggest that using the aux input would treat your signal the same way from your HD500? Ie: not treating it like a guitar?

#11 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:01 AM

My Question - I thought when you plugged a guitar into Amplifi, the speakers configured themselves so the majority of the signal came through the Driver and time based effects came through the tweeters in stereo (or whatever they are)...and when you streamed music to the the unit the driver became the sub.....wouldn't that suggest that using the aux input would treat your signal the same way from your HD500? Ie: not treating it like a guitar?

Exactly.  The wet/dry/wet configuration is only using the built in models.  Running the HD500 through the 1/8 jack on the back turns it into a regular stereo signal just like an MP3 player for reproduction.

Picture4.png

#12 seratone

seratone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

radatats - You appear to be pretty up on this stuff ( I am simply amazed when I read post from guys saying they're getting glorious results plugging HD500's into Fender Champs and Roland JC-120's - That cannot be possible! - or it's the same guys that are plugging acoustic guitars in to electric guitar amps and saying it sounds good)...

Do you know if the Stage Source speakers 'do' Wet Dry?

Have your tried (or heard) the Atomic Amps?

I've heard a few peeps about some new Behringer Keyboard amp that hasn't been released yet?

I have a Traynor K4 Keyboard amp and it sounds terrible - the solution HAS to be out there!

I just found this:

http://forum.fractal...few-basics.html

#13 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

radatats - You appear to be pretty up on this stuff ( I am simply amazed when I read post from guys saying they're getting glorious results plugging HD500's into Fender Champs and Roland JC-120's - That cannot be possible! - or it's the same guys that are plugging acoustic guitars in to electric guitar amps and saying it sounds good)...

Do you know if the Stage Source speakers 'do' Wet Dry?

Have your tried (or heard) the Atomic Amps?

I've heard a few peeps about some new Behringer Keyboard amp that hasn't been released yet?

I have a Traynor K4 Keyboard amp and it sounds terrible - the solution HAS to be out there!

I just found this:

http://forum.fractal...few-basics.html

I truly believe that with the right adjustments it can sound good through most any gear.  However, some gear is much better suited to the POD than others.

- as far as I know L series does NOT do wet/dry at least not without 3 of them! 

- I have not tried the Atomic amps.

- I am tired of waiting for Behringer but it sounds like a good idea.

My DT25 head/cab sounds great but it is a pain to lug around.  My power amp/PA cabs same thing.  I am looking for a stereo FRFR solution similar to AMPLIFi without the AMPLIFi restrictions just as a lighter option.  L series is very nice but mono and more than I care to spend.

Picture4.png

#14 seratone

seratone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

I hear you about the L series being pricey - I have already invested in a whole PA system for my rehearsal space (completely hijacked and tuned for vocals), and a keyboard amp, but I may go that way. I do a singer songwriter thing with an acoustic guitar AND I play Keys in bigger bands. I might BE the solution....

I know there's another smaller option out there - a couple of guys on the forum are making their own FRFR's and posting pictures of them.

#15 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

I know there's another smaller option out there - a couple of guys on the forum are making their own FRFR's and posting pictures of them.

yeah, me too.  you got links to their pics?

Picture4.png

#16 seratone

seratone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

What's the Behringer thing you're not waiting for?

#17 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

What's the Behringer thing you're not waiting for?

http://www.behringer...ucts/KXD12.aspx

Picture4.png

#18 seratone

seratone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Damn - I can't find those links of the home made FRFR's - they were posted by British guys - really fancy finished cherry wood looking fronts with multiple drivers and a little Behringer mixer built in the back.

#19 tgastel

tgastel

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationFreeport, IL

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

I am looking for a stereo FRFR solution similar to AMPLIFi without the AMPLIFi restrictions just as a lighter option.

What do you mean by "restrictions"?

#20 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

What do you mean by "restrictions"?

very limited inputs and outputs, must have an Apple product to edit tones, no USB functions, unneeded (by me) outdated modeling and effects, no Variax support.  To me, those are restrictions or limitations.  Maybe not to you.

Picture4.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amplifi, hd500, pod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users