Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Who uses their POD's mic input?

Digital_Igloo

I don't use it. I'm curious as to how people use a pedal targeted for guitar as a mic effects processor.  I mean I can't imagine that the presets I setup for guitar would be at all useful for vocals.  Maybe a clean setting, but that's it.  Now if I could setup the 500X such that there are separate circuitry for the mic path and the guitar path, THAT would present interesting possibilities !

..  Now if I could setup the 500X such that there are separate circuitry for the mic path and the guitar path, THAT would present interesting possibilities !

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/215659/

I describe my experience and the downside of the HD500 for this purpose here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/25157-using-the-hd500x-for-vocal-effects-processingenhancement/

Thanks for pointing that out.  I figured it wouldn't take long for someone to prove me wrong. ;)  So one can have 2 discreet signal paths. Interesting.  In my mind I don't see how to do it, but don't bother telling me. You've already been kind enough.  I'll figure it out.

• 2 months later...

I am a sax player most of the time. I have a HD500 because I play guitar too, but only rythm. I started using this mic input to use delays and reverbs. Very happy with it. Now I use the pitch glide too and sometime the preamp to boost when I play the baritone sax which is less louder than my tenos and alto sax.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just got my HD500x, and couldnt test this yet; but I have a good Isobox extension cab loaded with a SM57 that ive been using for years in the mic input of a Boss GS-10 - from there to the board and phones. In my case it would be perfect if i could set  the xlr mic input as the return (so i could use the amped real amp in the chain, or nule it and go straight stereo into line). There was an issue i had with the gs-10 I think I wont find in the Pod - the mic XLR signal would get too hot into the GS, it had to be attenuated somehow. 

9 hours ago, chico_netto said:

Hi, I just got my HD500x, and couldnt test this yet; but I have a good Isobox extension cab loaded with a SM57 that ive been using for years in the mic input of a Boss GS-10 - from there to the board and phones. In my case it would be perfect if i could set  the xlr mic input as the return (so i could use the amped real amp in the chain, or nule it and go straight stereo into line). There was an issue i had with the gs-10 I think I wont find in the Pod - the mic XLR signal would get too hot into the GS, it had to be attenuated somehow. 

Unfortunately, there is no way to assign the MIC input to a return only. What you are looking to do can be done using dual paths but it will be MONO only (each path uses one side of left/right) and you will need to be careful not to create a loop by properly adjusting your pan controls in the HD mixer.

EXAMPLE:

Upper path set to guitar input.... add effects to taste, send that side to the amp/iso cab.

Lower path set to mic input (adjust trim for appropriate gain) .... add processing to taste, send that side to the Board/Monitors. 

WARNING: The 1/4" outputs collapse to MONO if only one side is plugged in. If you are sending to Board/Monitors via XLR, you need to insert a dummy jack into it's 1/4" output or the mic will also get sent to the amp and the results will be a continuous feedback loop - it could hurt :) 

This is an old thread, but since it's been re-opened I'll add my thoughts on the MIC input.

1. For some people the HD is their primary Audio Interface for recording... having the mic input is no different than having a MIC input on any other interface. 
  2. It's great for someone doing a single act. Carry the HD and a powered speaker... that's all you need. Setup a dual path (one for guitar, the other for the mic) and send them to the powered speaker... no need to carry a mixer. 
  3. As a multi-instrumentalist I find it never hurts to have another input. None of my additional instruments use mics but that doesn't matter... I often plug my mandolin or dobro into a direct box, then run an XLR from the DI to the mic input.... adjust trim as needed.

Added features are never a bad thing... even if you don't see the immediate value in it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

WARNING: The 1/4" outputs collapse to MONO if only one side is plugged in. If you are sending to Board/Monitors via XLR, you need to insert a dummy jack into it's 1/4" output or the mic will also get sent to the amp and the results will be a continuous feedback loop - it could hurt :) 

THIS needs to be highlighted. It is one of the most important pieces of information in the manual.

Adding to codamedia's post, I agree in #1 that the mix input should be there. Many people use it for recording even if they wouldn't use it for dual live paths.

I use a dual path on my HD500 Pro so a mic is always plugged to that. On my HD500X, I rarely use the mic because it's my travel rig and I rely on the house, but it's nice to know the mic input is there. I do backup vocals and guitar so I prefer setting up my own 'angelic' bg vox settings on each path on the HD500 Pro.

On 09/05/2018 at 8:28 AM, codamedia said:

That's a great solution!!! Thank you, I'll try that.

There's one more thing; I use a Class 5 head modded with a line out (and factory loaded with a speaker dummie), so it works as an aditional cascade pre into the input of the iso cab amp;

usually it runs on a passive loop pedal box.

Any chances of somehow using that pre on a send / return on/off toggled loop, 

and then receive the signal through the XLR input?

I mean, something like 

gtr ->            HD500X               -> amp iso cab ->  XLR HD500X ->  monitors out.

(-> ext. pre looped ->) 

That would be awesome!

Thanks again!

On 09/05/2018 at 8:28 AM, codamedia said:

Unfortunately, there is no way to assign the MIC input to a return only. What you are looking to do can be done using dual paths but it will be MONO only (each path uses one side of left/right) and you will need to be careful not to create a loop by properly adjusting your pan controls in the HD mixer.

EXAMPLE:

Upper path set to guitar input.... add effects to taste, send that side to the amp/iso cab.

Lower path set to mic input (adjust trim for appropriate gain) .... add processing to taste, send that side to the Board/Monitors. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/8/2014 at 4:49 AM, pfsmith0 said:

I have Schertler pickups on most of my acoustic instruments and plug into the MIC input quite often. I wish I could assign the tuner to that input (or the AUX input for that matter). Regardless, the MIC input is quite useful to me.

You can change the input 1 to Mic on settings and you will be able to use the tuner