4 replies to this topic

#1 SirChipALot

SirChipALot

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:09 AM

I purchased the AMPLIFi 150 the day it came out.  Thought the iOS concept was a cute idea for high school garage bands, so I didn't have any real expectations that it would work for any professional applications.  For me, the price alone justified the Bluetooth stereo feature while jamming along/practicing.  But I was sorely disappointed that the advertised "revolutionary 5-speaker stereo system" didn't truly work with any of the guitar tones. However, I accidentally found out that if I use a 1/4" stereo out of the HD500's headphone jack to a 1/8" stereo cable into the AUX IN on the back of the amp, I've now got sonic paradise!  Granted, it's similar results I'd get plugging into a PA system, but I'm much happier with the tones now. Reasonable price for a small stereo guitar reference monitor that steams audio content.

#2 Leftzilla

Leftzilla

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

I had the same experience except for I specifically went out to purchase the amplifi 75 watt version as an emergency stage monitor for HD500x and have been very happy.

#3 SirChipALot

SirChipALot

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

That's a great idea using it as a solo stage monitor!

#4 SirChipALot

SirChipALot

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

Two caveats…you don't get the full volume potential as you do when you plug into the guitar input jack.  Also, the high ends tend to break up a bit when cranked.

Variax acoustics sound great this way too!

#5 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

You should be aware that the AMPLIFi 12" speaker is really only a subwoofer when using it as a stereo PA/monitor (aux in).  That means the bulk of the sound is coming from the mid and hi drivers which are pretty small physically.  I am sure volume isn't an issue when using as a guitar amp with internal modeling but when using as a stereo PA/monitor at volume for long periods I have to wonder how long those smaller drivers will hold up...

Picture4.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amplifi, hd500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users