Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD500x Looper Volume in LVM vs Normal

austin_ep

Hello there, 

I have recently gotten a DT25 combo and a Pod HD500X to replace my aged and now defunct Spider III 120. I have enjoyed learning to use it and although i have come across a few quirks of using the two together and with other devices, I have so far been able to come up with a solution to all of my issues. However, a new issue has come up and I am hoping that this very knowledgeable forum can help!

-Firstly, what I have been doing and enjoying;

1. DT25 is in LVM

1a. Looper is in post mode

2. Start on clean patch

3. Record chord progression

4. Exit overdub and exit looper to switch patches

5. Switch to lead patch (uses treadplate full and cab sims)

6. Loop is playing with the same volume as on previous patch, and I have my lead sound to solo with.

7. No issues with this method! It works how I would expect. :)

-Here is where the issue arises. I had not noticed this yet as I had not had a chance to play with the DT in Normal Volume mode and use the looper;

1. DT25 is in Normal Volume Mode

1a. Looper is in post mode

2. Start on clean patch

3. Record chord progression

4. Exit overdub and exit looper to switch patches

5. Switch to lead patch (uses treadplate full and cab sims)

6. Loop is playing much louder as compared to the previous patch, and I have my lead sound to solo with.

7. What is causing this volume change when in this volume mode on the DT25? It makes it very hard to use the looper as the volume changes are quite abrupt and it creates a weird disparity between the original comp and the loop.

I appreciate any comments that you all are able to offer, thank you! :)

• 7 months later...

HI Austin_ep.  Check to see that the looper is in the post position.  This seems to work the best because you can change presets and

record a new overdub with the new tone intact.  In pre mode the overdubs will all use the same dry guitar signal before going to the looper,

so when you change a preset  all the looped overdubs take on the new preset sound.  (not ideal situation)

Also if you are switching back to pre after recording overdubs in post mode this will  make it louder for sure.  

Choose post and stick to it unless you have a good reason to use pre.

This was a new concept for me and took a bit of thinking to figure it all out.

think of it this way.

1. In pre mode all the overdubs are recorded dry,  and the 'RECORDED' sound changes every time you pick a new preset

(EVEN THE OVERDUBS)

2. In post, all the overdubs are recorded wet (with effects),  and overdubs all have the sound (and volume) of the preset

they were recorded with.

I hope this helps.

p.s.  consult the manual and keep reading the looper chapter untill you know it cold.   It will take a bit, but it's well worth it.

im not sure if this is a problem for you but ive noticed that when the looper says (pre) the looper is actually in post ,and when the looper says (post) the looper is actually in Pre. im thinking they set it up like this so you can know what the button would do if you press it , its not telling you the current state of the loop position. confusing for me to say the least . but i use a separate  looper pedal because i want more options with the looper. Boss RC-30- sometimes ill use my Nux loopcore.

• 4 months later...

Hi, exactly the same initial question drives my mad as well. (I think I understand the POST and PRE differences quite well). What happens is:

- I record a loop in POST mode.
- When I go and swich patches, the looper stays on POST mode but the loop volume changes. It shouldn't.
- This happens only when my DT25 is on normal volume mode and does not occur when the amp is set to low volume mode.