Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Weeks In: Thoughts from the trenches.

cclement

So.. I’m about 4 weeks into the HD500X… and I’m pretty freaking impressed, and a bit overwhelmed too. I’m not a stranger to Line 6 gear. I’ve been using the Vetta II combo for years now with my band, and I still have my Axsys 212/Ax2 in my garage. But the HD500X is a deep machine!

I first I was only using headphones (Sennheiser HD-280 PRO) and was both really impressed and also a bit underwhelmed. As many of you have found, the first tones you come across in the presets are way over the top, either in the amount of gain or FX. And after doing some critical listening on my headphones, I started to hear some “artifacts†on a few patches that I found a bit strange. But, I knew that I was almost never going to be using headphones… so it wasn’t that big a deal.

The HD500 Edit SW is a bit funky, but I can’t imagine building tones without it. The interface on the unit is kind of clumsy, but the SW makes changing things around a breeze (the issues with the EQ labels notwithstanding). I’m now working taking my “core tones†that I’ve used in the Vetta and rebuilding them in the HD500X. This is a time consuming task and would be such a PITA without HD500 Edit.

The feedback I’ve gotten here on the forums has been a huge help. This black box is deep and very powerful, and the advice to spend time with it is spot on. It took me some time to “get†my Vetta so many years ago and to really dial-it in. Why should the HD500X be any different?

Currently I am running the HD500X into my Vetta II via the Vetta’s FX loop (thanks to DarrellM5 for the tips on setting up the right patch on the Vetta to do this) and have been really enjoying the tones I’m getting. This bypasses all of the tones in the Vetta and lets me use it basically as a stereo 2x12 powered cab. This also allows me to continues use one of the BEST features on the Vetta.

The balanced outs on the Vetta are “Direct outs†– in that they have their own level that is independent of the master volume. So I can change the master volume on the Vetta as I need for my own monitor, and the house still gets a feed from the Vetta’s outputs that is always pre-set. This would be a great option to add to the HD500X – the ability to assign either the ¼†or XLR as direct outs.

That’s enough for now. I’ve got a gig on Sept 19 at a local bar.. so I’ve still got time to get my key tones rebuilt and tested before the gig.

• Upvote 1

Do you use the cabs emulations with the vetta? Reason I ask is because one thing I've found is turning up the resonance to around 80 really brings the tone to life in an aggressive and pleasing (to me) way. I've come to think of it as a wet/dry mix for the cabs. And the higher the resonance is the more effect the thump and decay values have. I know a lot of people aren't pleased with the pod's cabs, but I've tried various IR plugins with many IRs and haven't noticed much if any improvement. I only record and don't play live so I don't know how turning up the resonance would be at loud volumes though. Might be too much or too harsh.

The pods are certainly a powerful piece of equipment. However, if I had the money, I would drop the pod in one unit of planck time for an axe fx and subject myself to even more endless patch editing.

• Upvote 1

The pods are certainly a powerful piece of equipment. However, if I had the money, I would drop the pod in one unit of planck time for an axe fx and subject myself to even more endless patch editing.

The POD is a poor man's axe Fx. I reckon that if Line 6 would simply allow for custom impulse responses, the POD would be able to compete with the Axe.

Sorry Toneman but I own Axe Fx 2, out of the box the amps kick the HD500 into touch, don't get me wrong HD is fraction of the price and mine is still in my live setup but only cos Axe has nearly 200 amps and you have to add your own cabs with no default setting it is quite complicated to edit too, you have to guess which cab and mic goes with each amp, that and constantly upgrading firmware it seems every other month it is hard to keep up. But most updates also improve amp sims!

The HD is superb but cannot compete, its like Fractal release a new pedal every other month, that is what HD is up against. Price wise it's ridiculous, but that's like me asking you what guitar you have. Bet it aint a Squier or copy, Gibson vs Epiphone, Fender vs Squier. They can all do the job, but sound quality, sound wise and updates are nothing like each other. Getting a bit fed up of people sounding like sour grapes on forums because they can't afford one. For what Axe and HD are bulit for there is no competition and no comparison. This is not a commercial by the way, but out of the box the Axe patches sound like real amps ( well through my FRFR anyway )

Complicated, expensive? Yes but the two are not even near.

Oh no.... Axe vs. POD again? And what else? Coke vs. Pepsi?  :)

I admit that Axe has its own qualities, but to be honest - our lives are too short to tweak 200 amps to get "perfect" sound... Get back to the "endless Axe universe", little fellow...

• Upvote 2

I've had a JTV-HD500-L3 dream rig for 6 months now. The sonic palette and usability I can get from this rig a absolutely ample for me. I'm not sure adding another 200 amps would make much if any difference. What would make a difference is MORE PRACTICE!!

• Upvote 1

Listen mate as I've said I USE the HD500, and happy with it, but repeat it does not compare, seen too many posts where people develop some kind of attitude against people who say how good it is, most have never tried one let alone got one, stinks of sour grapes.

Yeah 200 amps is excessive to me, but scroll through the wish list of amps on this forum and you have everything from a biscuit tin used in the 30's to mega high gain face melters from the 21st century. People want choice. Personal feeling is after the 80 amp you go braindead any. An ice cream van has four wheels, so does a Ferrari now compare.

I personally hav'nt compared the AxeII with the HD500 for two years.

At the time it was the bang for buck choice from the HD500 that sold me.

The other important point was and still is the punters mostly can't tell a difference.

But I'd a real rig set up over an AxeII or KPA

I am still happy with my HD500. I love it and it still inspires and that is way cool. 

Sorry Toneman but I own Axe Fx 2, out of the box the amps kick the HD500 into touch, don't get me wrong HD is fraction of the price and mine is still in my live setup but only cos Axe has nearly 200 amps and you have to add your own cabs with no default setting it is quite complicated to edit too, you have to guess which cab and mic goes with each amp, that and constantly upgrading firmware it seems every other month it is hard to keep up. But most updates also improve amp sims!

The HD is superb but cannot compete, its like Fractal release a new pedal every other month, that is what HD is up against. Price wise it's ridiculous, but that's like me asking you what guitar you have. Bet it aint a Squier or copy, Gibson vs Epiphone, Fender vs Squier. They can all do the job, but sound quality, sound wise and updates are nothing like each other. Getting a bit fed up of people sounding like sour grapes on forums because they can't afford one. For what Axe and HD are bulit for there is no competition and no comparison. This is not a commercial by the way, but out of the box the Axe patches sound like real amps ( well through my FRFR anyway )

Complicated, expensive? Yes but the two are not even near.

for the sake of argument, why not use the better equipment. you really don't use 200 amps at one gig, do you? why not convince me once and for all that the pod cannot compete? record clips of each and post them. 

Coke. By a mile. solved, resolved, fact.

no coke...pepsi

Argument sake is one thing but tweaking and sorting out patch problem is another matter. We play every week, I keep hoping the band will have a break so I can nail the Axe, as I said it is proper complex so not confident with it yet, but will repeat myself that out of the box the Plex, AC30, Plexi have the gritty gain that I associate with the real amp.

HD500 though I will admit here together with my Variax leave the Axe in the distance for my acoustc patches! Wish I had time to record mate, but point made.

Listen mate as I've said I USE the HD500, and happy with it, but repeat it does not compare, seen too many posts where people develop some kind of attitude against people who say how good it is, most have never tried one let alone got one, stinks of sour grapes.

Yeah 200 amps is excessive to me, but scroll through the wish list of amps on this forum and you have everything from a biscuit tin used in the 30's to mega high gain face melters from the 21st century. People want choice. Personal feeling is after the 80 amp you go braindead any. An ice cream van has four wheels, so does a Ferrari now compare.

It doesnt matter to the listener anyway they would not notice if you had a Behringer pod clone a Pod or an Axe FX or even if you have a real Amp like a Mesa or a Marshall Engl or even a Bugera

Well if thelistener are musician themself they of course notice

And when it comes to zillion amps and zillions effects how many do you really use?

I use for clean sound a chorus maybe a spring reverb or a delay

For dirty sound i use a phaser for that Van Halen sound and maybe some delay for other dirty sound

For solos i use delay a Wha and maybe some od or dist/fuzz aswell

And when it comes to amps i seem to stuck with a fender clone or a masrhall for clean or Mesa Engl Bogner for dirt but i rather use my REAL amp instaed if i can..

Sure Axe FX is awesome and is better than Pod soundwise especially the FX:s not so much the Amp sims but for that PRICE?? Noway i would buy it

Oh b.t.w i notice that some of the ones that got a sponsor deal with Fractal and have marketing it has gone back to using amps the old fashion stomp boxes again.

Ha ha better be careful what I say without offending others but mate, many musicians I know play in hard rock, metal, nu metal bands. Mate of mine plays speed metal a 5150 and 7 string is his thing. Cool, but when people ask me why so many amps, the answer is probably tied into the 15 electrics I have. Gibson Les Paul, USA strat, Sheraton, Variax 700, Jackson, Charvel, fixed bridge and Floyd Roses.

In short mate I play in a paid covers band and it pays very well. I have no choice but to try to emulate EVH, Lily Allen, Jovi, Bob Marley, U2, Elvis, Stones, Chic, Pharrell and many more. I miss the days of a single set up guitar and amp. Buying kit with so much choice makes it easier to dial in what is similar to the song. Ask yourself but read this forum, some play only blues or metal and are still moaning about the type of distortion and amps provided by Line 6 (so do Axe owners) they use. Well in my case it is hard work. All I said was the Axe offers more choice and sounds more realistic with minimal tweak. I'll never be 100% happy but better sound makes for happy stage!

Don't take my word for ir read through this and other forums, can you believe people on the Fractal forum still have wishlists for amps I've never even heard of.

Your setup is good for you and thats cool, I'm lucky to earn the money so Axe paid for itself a long while back, but still not confident on using it live! My HD500 sounds great simple and hasn't let me down......yet! ( cross fingers ) Btw before HD I used Boss GT10 and 100....good grief miles form the HD500!

Do you use the cabs emulations with the vetta?

To be determined. I'm not using them for the cabinet sims in the Vetta II for what is coming our the speakers - I have a patch set to NO CAB for that. I may or may not use them for the DIRECT OUT feed at my next gig. I just will have to hear how my rig sounds thru the PA and adjust accordingly.

FWIW, I did my first rehearsal with the band to day for our next gig and the combo of the HD500x and the Vetta's power-amp and speakers was amazing. I've got about 1/2 of my "core tones" recreated on the HD500x and they sound even better than they did when I was using the Vetta. There was a bunch of tweaking the sounds after each song; the tone changes  some from "bedroom level" to "rehearsal level" and a few things (reverbs mostly) needed to be re adjusted for playing at "real" volumes.

As far as the Axe vs POD debate... Guitar gear is like cars, they all will get you where you want to go. Some will get you there faster and with more comfort, and some will just barely get you there. But in the end, it's up to you, your ears and your bank account to figure out what works best for you.

I drive a 17 year-old Volvo, I have a Web Production job with a good company, and I have a band that plays gigs about every 4 months in a few bars. I chose the HD500x because it get's me the tones I need, that sound really good to ME, and doesn't break my bank account.

Your Millage May Vary.

As far as the Axe vs POD debate... Guitar gear is like cars, they all will get you where you want to go. Some will get you there faster and with more comfort, and some will just barely get you there. But in the end, it's up to you, your ears and your bank account to figure out what works best for you.

I drive a 17 year-old Volvo, I have a Web Production job with a good company, and I have a band that plays gigs about every 4 months in a few bars. I chose the HD500x because it get's me the tones I need, that sound really good to ME, and doesn't break my bank account.

Your Millage May Vary.

Didn't mean to invoke an axe fx vs pod hd thread. I apologize for that. Luckily, nothing bad seemed to happen. :)

What you posted above is pretty much it as I see it too. I went with the hd500x because that's all I can really afford. But ... if money weren't an issue, I would be stupid not to go with the axe fx. It's simply a more powerful and versatile guitar processor. Whether it sounds better or not is subjective.

In my neck of the words Axe-FX players are selling/trading them for something simpler LOL!!! Frustration is the word I have heard lately about the Axe LOL! I use several Roland guitar synths so I know all about that.Played a large venue Friday nite with my regular variety trio/funk/blues/jazz/some sequenced track stuff/alternative/classic rock etc...with my HD500 and Egnater Tweaker 1x12 cab .Saturday used HD500 with same rig in 7 piece female singer lead band playing a very different set of material.Finished the weekend yesterday with an excellent female vocalist fronted soul/R and B/funk band with a sax player .I threw my Roland GR20 down next to the HD500( I used a Fender BDRI amp for this one) put on my headset mic. so I could look at both units on the floor while singing and got busy.I have used many many many rack and floor guitar multi-effects and so far after about 25 good paying gigs the HD500 is friendly with all my amps/all my FRFR stuff and all my different bands-material requirements.In  other words this thing kicks serious booty for covers of any color or flavor.My wallet says I can buy an Axe but my cover band sense says "Keep your money in your pocket son this thing sounds great"!!!

My 2.5 cents

• Upvote 4

Good on ya mate, but thats exactly what I said when I had GT-6 back in the darker days. Happy as Larry...then something else came along, I alo had GR20 but bought GR-55 better sounds, that can't be a bad thing. Some people are happy to still use the Boss HM-30 HM pedal that I used when I was learning guitar! Some dismiss amp modelling altogether and laugh at us. But not a single person would dispute that when quality comes along, they want it.

Like most things in life envy, jealousy, moan about what they can't have, neighbours garden is bigger, car is faster than mine, wife better looking, Human nature can't have, so why would it be different in the music world. Simple it isn't. Not everyone but most.

Come on - we don't need another thread like HD500 vs whatever - there are millions out there already. Or open another thread if you really need to ;-)

Everybody can decide for itself which gear makes him / her happy.

I'm using the HD500 since it came out and even if I miss some things (most of the recording related) it works great for me as a currently bedroom player.

I believe that you can get a reasonable sound out of every decend device if you just spend enough time with the gear and take the time to learn it in and out.

For me it actually took quite a long time to get the sound I like from the HD500 but after years of using it I'm pretty fast dialing in any tone I like. Also if I have to say I think less is more when it comes to effects.

Just my 2 cents ;-9

@cclement

I use the Sennheiser HD280 too and I think it is a great Headphone for the HD500. I already used it with the X3 Live before and never got dissapointed. Also agree about the "artefacts" in some tones. Never figured out where they come from. But they appear only in some patches - not all. Just like the often discussed fizz that appears in some patches. With the fizz I think it comes when using too much gain in combination with lots of Highs.