#1 dieterstoll

dieterstoll

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationsouthwest Germany

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

Hello folks, another disconcerting tale to tell I'm afraid. It has happened to me before on various occasions, but this time (last weekend) was the first time the M20d screen froze solid on me without any external doodads attached. No SD card inserted (for recording or playback), no WiFi dongle, no nothing. Just a single microphone and a stereo line in. As usual, when you operate the M20 so that people can see it, a tech aficionado stepped up to have a closer look at it, and wanted to know if this could be operated like a standard mixer. Sure, I said, look right here, "Show faders", show the faders it did, the encoders worked just fine, but as soon as I went on to demonstrate sliding a fader up and down - kaboom, frozen.

None of the encoders worked. The only thing that would still react was the main volume knob. I had to reboot the unit to regain control.

Now I'm sure someone is going to come up to explain that it's usually the cables ;) or that I need to update my firmware. Well, it's on 1.2 like probably everybody else's. Also, I don't think it's a hardware issue with the touchscreen (if so, then why did the encoders quit working, too?). I maintain that the firmware is still bug-ridden and that it's HIGH TIME somebody got their act together and fixed it.

Before the freeze the guy had asked me how much the unit cost, and where to buy it. He was really eager to get one. After the freeze, not so much. In other words, he was horrified. I told him to give the Behringer X32 a closer look.

#2 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

try reloading the firmware update.

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#3 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2765 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

That is not the sign of a firmware problem. If it was firmware related it would happen in all units.

It might be a hardware issue or equally it could be a AC line issue. But you could send it in and get it checked.

#4 sapca

sapca

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

I Have the same problem :(

Sometimes I need to reboot 4 to 5 times before the screen works again !!!!!

#5 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

I really feel for you guys. I haven't had this happen, but I do understand.

There are still quite a few bugs, and hopefully another release comes out soon to fix, and improve the current version. But as Don says, it may not be firmware. Worth checking.

I had issues with my A aux being very faint. I dealt with it fine as I usually use only the L6 link. So no need for that output. I was certain it was for aware cause it started after the last update, and if it was hardware, it should be on, or off....I would think. Not faintly working.

A gig came up where I was to do sound using a house system. I told them i wanted to use my system as their board is not in a permanent location, and it was predicted to be very busy so I didn't want to guard a board all day. Rather just an ipad in hand. So a couple days before, I tested all my outputs cause i was gonna need them. Still had the problem with A aux, and now the left main too! No time to send off. I decided to take a quick "peek" in the board to see if maybe it was just an issue with a loose wire on the jacks. Well, I would suggest not bothering with that unless you are a electronics person, and warranty is up anyway. I was stopped when I seen circuit boards in my way. Too much to do on my lap. So I put it back together. And, it is now working fine! All outputs and inputs. So problem isn't fixed, but I am certain it is hardware now. Clearly, I moved something. I pack my board around a lot and it is only in a rolling rack case. Not shock mounted. I am guessing that is the problem.

Long story short....and I know you case is different with the screen freezing....but again, it may not be firmware. BUT, the firmware does have known bugs....Line 6 knows too, and I am confident they are working on it.

#6 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Please have the unit repaired through your dealer. The screen behavior is a hardware issue that can be fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#7 sapca

sapca

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

After alot of trouble with the sceen that freezes,yesterday, suddenly 4 guitar- inputs came up on the screen  :(

I have sent the unit back to the store  for repair.

He told me that they will give me a new unit.

Kind regards

Emiel

#8 dieterstoll

dieterstoll

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:36 AM

Please have the unit repaired through your dealer. The screen behavior is a hardware issue that can be fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

OK, will do. Contacting the dealer as we speak.

But if that is the case - it's a known hardware problem that can be fixed - then why not simply own up to it and put it in the FAQ rather than have people jump through hoops, with the warranty clock ticking?

I'll certainly report back if and when I get the unit back, and have had a chance to put it through its paces.

#9 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2765 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

I'm afraid you've misunderstood. You thought the problem was related to the firmware and Arne and I have both pointed out that the problem is probably hardware related. Your problem is not a "known issue" but rather like caused by the failure of some electronic component.

#10 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

To Dietetstoll : I had the same freezîng trouble, one year and à half ago. It was solved by servicing in UK
To digitalsound : I also had similar hardware connectors troubles solved by two servicing periods in 2013 and 2014, the last on july. I'm waiting for intensive use in september to be sure that it is defintly OK, and be fully confident.
Despite these troubles, I do enjoy the use and Sound quality of my LINE6 sound system.

#11 dieterstoll

dieterstoll

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

To Dietetstoll : I had the same freezîng trouble, one year and à half ago. It was solved by servicing in UK
To digitalsound : I also had similar hardware connectors troubles solved by two servicing periods in 2013 and 2014, the last on july. I'm waiting for intensive use in september to be sure that it is defintly OK, and be fully confident.
Despite these troubles, I do enjoy the use and Sound quality of my LINE6 sound system.

Thank you for a sign of hope, @pierrebriend - I'm packing the mixer right now (miraculously I happened to keep the box, which is not something I often do). Will revert.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: m20d, freezing, bug, reboot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users