Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream Rig - Layering Issue

I've been trying to replicate the steps in this Line 6 video and I can't get it to work:

They even have the tone from this video posted in Custom Tone but it doesn't work for me.

I have a JTV-59P, HD500, and a DT-25. I don't have the 2nd expression pedal that he uses in the video.. Not sure if that is the issue or not..

Has anyone been able to set this up?

I'm using a Line 6 VDI cable as well. Could it be that with one of the firmware updates it stopped working?

Thanks,

Brent

P.S. I've tied both setting it up on the HD500 and in HD500 Edit.

I'm able to get either the mags or the acoustic through both the DT-25 but I'm not able to get it where the nagas are

Coming out of the DT-25 and the acoustic out of the XLR outs.

When I load his patch from custom tone I don't get any sound at all until I start changing input sources.

Thanks for your help:)

Well as it says, you have to be connected with VDI for JTV, L6 link for DT25 and either XLR or 1/4 out to your PA/FRFR/DAW..  Set input 1 to Variax Mags, input 2 to Variax.  As noted, you have to go to the L6 link tab and set Amp 1 to Amp Model A.  Check that the empty Amp B block has Bypass Volume set to 100%.

Now your mags will go to channel A right up to the Amp block and then go to the DT BEFORE the mixer.  Channel A ends right at the amp block.  Your Variax signal goes to channel B, through the mixer and on to the outputs and to your PA.

In his patch he has Exp 1 controlling the DT amp channel volume and Exp 2 controlling the Volume block after the mixer which is for your Variax signal.  Without a second pedal it will be difficult to control blending so try turning the volume block off to make sure you have a good signal going through,

That should do it bro... 

• Upvote 1

I was able to record yesterday using the method described. I chose the effects that I wanted for the Variax acoustic and recorded the mags through my DT-25 with a Sennheiser 421.

Given this method, it is possible to also have effects on the mags (like maybe a chorus or delay)? I can add it in my DAW, but it would be great to grab one of the effects I'm already comfortable with.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the problem with that routing! You can't add FX to the DT amp :-( I think the guys from Line 6 should fix all problems with the sound routing and make it something similar to POD X3! Unfortunately I don't think that's possible,because in my opinion the "Amazing" processor power in HD series doesn't come from the new CPU,but from cutting down some main function of the previous models!

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to record yesterday using the method described. I chose the effects that I wanted for the Variax acoustic and recorded the mags through my DT-25 with a Sennheiser 421.

Given this method, it is possible to also have effects on the mags (like maybe a chorus or delay)? I can add it in my DAW, but it would be great to grab one of the effects I'm already comfortable with.

Not sure if I am understanding this 100%, but you should be able to drag those FX blocks into the two divided channels, path A and path B can have their own effects that only go to those channels. They need to be all in the section BEFORE the mixer block, which occurs after the amp block. Not sure about what happens if you put FX after the amp model block, before the mixer block.