11 replies to this topic

#1 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

I'm using the Stagescape for about 4 months. I still have problem with the record function on SD card. (I opened another topic to talk about)  I followed some advices saying to re-install the firmware parameters . I did it on sunday evening

The subject of the topic is that the day after , on monday, when I tried to start a session, It took several mn and attempts to get it operationnal ! The screen was displayed the M20 picture and the rolling indicator as rolling ang rolling for a few minutes, a long while. Then I shut off and replugged , same thing....finally at the 4th attempt, the system was on operation. BUT TOTAL TIME TO START : ROUGHLY 15 mn ! It is long when you don't know  how long it will be §§§

Did any one one experience such an issue and/or has somme comments or advice.

Thank you all

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

You will have seen, Pierre, (as I have) earlier discussions here about problems in recording from the M20d to portable media, such as this topic from davec69 (to which you also replied) http://line6.com/sup...update/?hl=card.

Having since had some time to raise these issues with a few of the more experienced digital systems folk from among my broadcast engineering colleagues, I can now best summarise their general suggestions for "best practice" as being along these lines :

1. Re-format portable media before any fresh project,
  2. Use the highest speed and largest capacity media that the system can employ (or that finances allow),
  3. Avoid the storage of different formats in the same portable device ...and
  4. Also avoid storing to more than roughly 80% of a given portable device's stated capacity.

They say that failure to observe any or all of those four conditions won't necessarily cause problems, but equally ...may have many baffling and bizarre consequences for digital systems.

According to my colleagues, it would seem that the so-called "free" software (usually merchandising) that's pre-loaded onto supposedly "ready to use, pre-formatted" SD cards (and/or "memory stick" portable USB drives) is one of the worst offenders, to the extent that they regard it as malware worthy of quarantine.  

#3 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

Ron, Thank you. That all sounds like really, really valuable advice.

Also just wanted to take the opportunity to say how much I enjoy your posts, your approach and your humour.

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

Ron, Thank you. That all sounds like really, really valuable advice.

Also just wanted to take the opportunity to say how much I enjoy your posts, your approach and your humour.

...And you're taking the time and trouble to post that has just "made" my Tuesday evening, linesixy !

#5 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Thank you, Ron. This is very important information. If the media (SD card) is not performing correctly there will be a problem. The best way to make sure of this is a fairly new brand class10 SD card that is FAT32 formatted. Very old SD cards can loose performance after a few hundred writing cycles and counterfeit SD cards that say "class10" but are not are a risk.

Please always stop your recording before powering down.

Thanks!

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

...The best way to make sure of this is a fairly new brand class10 SD card that is FAT32 formatted... ...and counterfeit SD cards that say "class10" but are not are a risk..

Aah, yes indeed, Arne...

Sorry folks, but I forgot to mention our (ahem) "old friends", the fakers ...and also that some of their "marketing associates" have been known to re-label and re-pack discarded portable media for resale as "new" (and supposedly "bargain-priced") stock, alongside other "discounted" items that they've acquired in the same nefarious ways.

(Stuff like IEC power cables and batteries. Not just "stuff", but "pre-stuffed". ) 

Half a second's work, with whatever destructive implement gives us the most satisfaction , prior to the depositing of our old media for recycling, is a great way to both prevent that practice and guarantee the confidentiality of whatever intellectual property we may have (inadvertently) left on them.

I also hold to my firm belief that the cost of genuine, high-performance "key ring" USB drives and SD cards from reputable outlets is truly minimal, especially when compared with the value of the emotional (and quite possibly also financial) investment in "lost" data ...and that a "format" prior to use, (preferably carried out by the recording device itself) is an equally great way to not only pre-detect new media that just might be faulty, but also to avoid seeing those dreaded read/write "error" symptoms later.

Also, (at grave risk of telling folk what they already know) never forget that "data is data is data", so our disciplines of the clear identification and "back-up" transfer of our M20d multi-track files (whether to "the cloud" or any other drive/s or media) can be just as much a real "lifesaver" with audio as it undoubtedly is for our vital personal information. 

#7 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

You are very nice but the subject of the post is NOT about recording trouble. As I mentionned, I have open a topic dedicated to those problem. The subject is : MY STAGESCAPE DOES NOT GO FURTHER THAN THE FIRST SCREEN DISPLAY : "Stagescape scape starting ..." Today I let it start 15 MINUTES without success.
The only one solution I found is unplug and replug, once or twice to get an open session. At home, I can accept, but in the stressing atmosphere of a concert, I CAN 'T. What do you recommand? Service?
I mentionned the story about the issue with recording, cause I'd think may be there is a link' ...or not
I'm using the system for more than 4 month, this issue has occurrd this week after I reinstall the firmware setting last sunday, following LINE6 support advise.

Thank

#8 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Please read "factory settings" instead of "firmware settings" in the previous post

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Heartfelt apologies, Pierre...

I am indeed very sorry, but I misunderstood your first post, as I thought you were saying that this problem somehow followed on from the other one that you had with your SD card. :wacko:

You are absolutely correct in thinking that M20d systems are normally fully "ready to go" after power-up in a time short enough to be expressed in seconds ...and certainly NOT need anything like a quarter of an hour with all that unplugging and re-plugging !

I now also agree when you suspect that the corruption that may be at the heart of this latest problem is very likely to have come from when you followed the advice...

...to re-install the firmware parameters. (...Which we now read as "factory settings".)

While others may (possibly) know of a quicker fix, I am fairly (but not completely) sure that it is indeed some sort of "corruption", so that I believe your downloading of a "fresh" copy of StageScape v1.1 from here http://line6.com/software/ ...and then re-loading it into your M20d "from the start" should solve the problem.

If you have set-ups and/or recordings that you wish to save, you should save them to your external storage before doing any of this, which (sadly) means performing that horrible "power-up" routine one more time.

It is also worth noting that while your multitrack recordings will most probably still be OK, there's no guarantee that any "Setups" you have saved or modified while your system was "corrupted" will

• Ever work properly and/or
  • Not re-corrupt your system, putting you back on the same crazy "carousel".

So if you can work without recalling those "old" setups, I think it would be better to ignore any that you "touched" while your M20d was still suffering its "nervous breakdown".

#10 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

You are very nice but the subject of the post is NOT about recording trouble. As I mentionned, I have open a topic dedicated to those problem. The subject is : MY STAGESCAPE DOES NOT GO FURTHER THAN THE FIRST SCREEN DISPLAY : "Stagescape scape starting ..." Today I let it start 15 MINUTES without success.
The only one solution I found is unplug and replug, once or twice to get an open session. At home, I can accept, but in the stressing atmosphere of a concert, I CAN 'T. What do you recommand? Service?
I mentionned the story about the issue with recording, cause I'd think may be there is a link' ...or not
I'm using the system for more than 4 month, this issue has occurrd this week after I reinstall the firmware setting last sunday, following LINE6 support advise.

Thank

This really sounds like an hardware issue. The support team will contact you so we can resolve this.

Thanks

#11 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

I don't know if it is related to my "hardware corrupted M20d" but at last Gig using 2 L3t with 2 L2m as monitorsA and B,+ a BOSE L1 as side monitor C it was for me , despite my effort, impossible to get sound for one of the L2m monitor using LINE6 Link. The monitor was recognized by M20d as output no 4 as the B monitor, meaning , I presume, that cabling was OK. But not sound from it. We checked the L3m with a mic directly plugged into the pannel, it was sounding, meaning that the amplifier were OK. We tried to connect directly from the M20d, no sound...no cable. We cabled the monitor in position 3 in the LINK , no sound...at the end, due to lack of time, we didń´t use it at all, using 2 monitors instrzd of 3... The gig was OK anyway. I tried at home with LINK. It is OK...
I would like to get an advice about how to proceed to check in the shortest time the reason of such a default and correct it!
I would add that the same day, we had 2 ipad to control the sound, but NONE of them found the connection with M20d. The green message wifi connected on M20d was lighted, but the ipad no...
Fortunately, we had a sound engineer who did a good job controllîg the sound close to the stage using the M20d interface. I would add that we used the i pad controlled many times with success, so we know how to proceed.
Thank you for advice

#12 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

Regarding these "fun and games" that you had with WiFi...

...we had 2 ipad to control the sound, but NONE of them found the connection with M20d. The green message wifi connected on M20d was lighted, but the ipad, no...

...It might well prove worthwhile for you to read all the way through this recent conversation, Pierre: http://line6.com/sup...inksys-adapter/.

As for this...

...it was for me , despite my effort, impossible to get sound for one of the L2m monitor using LINE6 Link. The monitor was recognized by M20d as output no 4 as the B monitor, meaning , I presume, that cabling was OK...    (Ron M's emphasis)

...and just to eliminate the "basics", would it be possible that (in the hurly-burly of that gig) a sub-standard mic lead (and not a high quality XLF to XLM cable) accidentally "found itself" trying to carry the L6-Link's broadband digital "audio plus instructions" signal to your troubled StageSource L3 ? :ph34r:    

Edited by RonMarton, 19 June 2013 - 02:12 AM.
"sub-standard" instead of "aes" mic lead in the last sentence

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stagescape

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users