2 replies to this topic

#1 guitarmech111

guitarmech111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

I am having a LOT of trouble breaking strings. They are always breaking at a very bad time. It is always the 3rd and 4th strings. All other strings have not had the issue. They break at the saddle. With the piezos there, how could I remedy this issue besides changing the strings more often?

Also, what would be the rcomended guage to use? I use 10's now and I am thinking of going to 9's.

#2 moondancer

moondancer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

you should inspect the groove with a magnifying glass, if there is any sharp-edged damage. You can try to remove this by a sandpaper, but carefully you can injure the nickel-plating. If your guitar is under warranty you better contact your service center.

A friend had the same issue with an Epiphone LP-style guitar, the groove was to narrow, so strings broke always there. He had to send his guitar to service, 'cause couldn't repair it.

Stay tuned brothers

Regards Edgar

#3 thorneven

thorneven

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Location"Upstate" New York

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take the guitar to a TRUSTED guitar tech who can re-cut the notches in the string saddles.  You may have to raise the bridge slightly to compensate for the deeper grooves in the saddles after the re-cut.  But like moondancer said, it is likely sharp edges in the cuts on the saddles... or poor quality strings.  Or you're an animal when you bend ;) .

One last thought... I don't know if recutting the saddles is safe because I don't know if that will affect the piezo pickups in the saddles.  Make sure your guitar tech understands the Variax.

JTV59 cherry sunburst / Vetta 2 / Behringer FCB1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users