Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M5 midi help

odmsteel

So first off I don't have a huge understanding of midi, so I'm not sure if what I am looking to do is even possible.

I have the line 6 m5 and Egnater Armageddon which is midi capable.

The Armageddon has a switch on the footswitch to turn the loop on automatically for any of the 3 channels. What I would like to do is have chorus on channel 1 (clean) and delay on channel 3 (lead). Also I don't know if this helps but the Armageddon has midi dip switches on back of the amp.

I don't want to use a midi foot controller. Is this possible?

• 3 months later...

So first off I don't have a huge understanding of midi, so I'm not sure if what I am looking to do is even possible.

I have the line 6 m5 and Egnater Armageddon which is midi capable.

The Armageddon has a switch on the footswitch to turn the loop on automatically for any of the 3 channels. What I would like to do is have chorus on channel 1 (clean) and delay on channel 3 (lead). Also I don't know if this helps but the Armageddon has midi dip switches on back of the amp.

I don't want to use a midi foot controller. Is this possible?

Don't know if you're still checking the forum or have already gotten an answer but just in case and for the benefit of other readers:

The M5 only sends out two types of messages: Program Change (PC) and Continuous Controller (CC) messages.

Your amp can actually respond to these messages, but:

The M5 only sends out PC messages 0-23. Your Armegeddon amp will store 128 presets. But since the M5 only sends the first 24 numbers, you'd only be able to select 24 patches (which could still be useful if you don't use that many!).

As far as CC messages are concerned, the M5 only sends one that your Amp recognizes - CC 64, which is sent by the Tap/Tempo button. This button only sends values 64-127. Your Amp uses CC 64 for Mute - so if you could send a CC 64 message to the amp you could Mute and un-Mute it - IF you had the right values. Your amp uses 0-63 to mute, and 64-127 to un-mute or vice versa. This means all the Tap button on the M5 could do would be to either Mute the amp, or bring it out of Mute, but nothing else.

So IOW, teh M5 would be useful for selecting the first 24 preset patches you store, and that's it. You would engage the DIP switch that lets your Armageddon respond to PC messages (I think it was DIP 6) and plug a MIDI cable OUT of your M5 and IN to the Armageddon.

There is no OUT on the Armageddon, so you can't have it to tell the M5 to change patches.

So you best bet would be to make presets on the Amp. You can store both which channel you want it to be on and whether the loop is on or not. You could set up Patch 1 on the amp to be Channel 1 with the Loop On, and program your M5 for Chorus on its Patch 1, and then Patch 2 on the amp to be Channel 2 with your drive on and Loop on, and program your M5 for Delay. Assuming you have the M5 in the loop, stepping on the Patch 1 button will change your amp to Clean and chorus, and Patch 2 will make it dirty with delay.

HTH

Thanks for the reply. I actually haven't got an answer for this question and lately been thinking about it. I really don't need to use many presets, but I have a midi solutions thru box that I could use to do more correct?

It's good to know that I can make presets on the amp itself. I like to keep the M5 in the loop sitting on top of my amp. I just want to use the Armageddon's footswitch for everything.