Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

not sure why the amps are repeated in the amp list

lipsucnt

Why are the amps repeated in the amp list within edit software and why do some have different controllability functions. And what do the different controls do eg master sag hum bias etc and the duplicate amp has other attributes.

Many thanks

as I must come across as a dullard

Terry

If you look closely, you will see the second set labeled as "pre". These are preamp only models and don't contain the power amp modeling parameters such as bias excursion, sag, hum etc because they don't affect the preamp. Some of the pre models actually sound very nice. Try them out and see what you think.

Why are the amps repeated in the amp list within edit software and why do some have different controllability functions. And what do the different controls do eg master sag hum bias etc and the duplicate amp has other attributes.

Many thanks

as I must come across as a dullard

Terry

• Upvote 1

What is the pre amp mainly used for I've never used one.and what do the sag ,hum,bias etc do as far as shaping sound, the master is obvious but I've never had a pod before other than pod farm2 which I don't use in depth,never had a valve amp either so most of the dynamics of those amps are lost on me as I usually just plug in and play on a straight amp.

Sag, hum and bias are pretty subtle things that have to do with how the tubes react. If you're used to not using them then don't. The effect isn't that large. I do personally use them but again, the effect Is relatively subtle. The sag, besides subtley changing the sound, adds a little compression the higher you have it. The main thing would be to listen to your amp dry and then try them, just to experience what they do,.

What is the pre amp mainly used for I've never used one.and what do the sag ,hum,bias etc do as far as shaping sound, the master is obvious but I've never had a pod before other than pod farm2 which I don't use in depth,never had a valve amp either so most of the dynamics of those amps are lost on me as I usually just plug in and play on a straight amp.

They're not the same as 'a preamp'.

You need to think about a guitar amplifier in its true nature, which is a combination of sections. You plug your guitar cable into the input jack. That feeds to the preamp which consists of gain, treble, bass, mid and channel volume. That then feeds to the effects loop send, returning to the power amp which is controlled by the master volume and makes everything loud. 

The HD500 is simply separating those two sections, both of which make a huge sonic impact. If you were to plug the POD into your effects return on a guitar amp, the amp is already producing the sonic effects of a guitar power amp. Therefore you may not want to use the full models on the POD which emulate pre and power amp sections. Using a 'pre' only model in the POD you're effectively turning off the power amp emulation.

If you were to plug into headphones, a PA or similar, you'd probably want that power amp emulation as it's key to a great amp sound so you'd use a full amp model, 

Thanks guys much clearer now. I am using the effects loop on my marshall mg50 combo so I might play around with the settings a little,I have only had my 500x for 2 weeks and still getting my head round it but have managed to make 30 ish different presets for playing in my covers band and used them on Thursday the only issue I had really was a balanced volume level across the entire set list. Some tones needed a bit more attention but overall I was quite pleased with myself and my new toy.

Thanks again for the insights.

Terry

• Upvote 1