Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500x- As FX processor using DAW and third party audio interface

blue555

I'm leaning towards buying a POD HD500x, mainly as an effects processor for my home studio, my computer is a bit old and it can't handle all that VST violence.

I'd like to be able to record the dry signal and listen to the wet signal at playback (on a single track) or while monitoring (through SonarX1).

N.B. The Pod will not be the main audio interface. For monitoring and playback I will be using the MainOut of my Roland V-Studio 100. I've loads of outputs and inputs on that, including spdif.

What would be the best way of connecting the Pod in this scenario? Also(maybe) what I need to do concerning: routing in- and output for tracks & creating busses in Sonar?

Creating busses in Sonar seems like it would work.

and...

I run my POD into an input in my PreSonus audio interface so I'd presume you could just run your POD's out (XLR or Line?) into an input on your Roland V.

It comes down to what sounds best.

I run my POD into an input in my PreSonus audio interface so I'd presume you could just run your POD's out (XLR or Line?) into an input on your Roland V.

It comes down to what sounds best.

But do you then also use the USB? I don't get it, sorry.

Thx, that clears it up a little.

But when you say "direct monitoring" do you mean through the mixer on my Roland? In other words not through Sonar.

That would not work unless I also route all the other virual Sonar Virtual Intruments, right?

Also, why not use USB? Or has that to do with the fact that you can only have 1 audio interface when using Asio (I read that somewhere)?

Why is this so hard? Can't I just make an FX bin/strip?

Anyway thanks, maybe this is more a DAW (Sonar) discussion than a Line6 one. But it's so frustrating finding out how stuff will work out in your specific environment. I think some of this stuff should be in the manuals. I.e. How to integrate the 500x in an excisting studio as an effectsprocessor!

How do you record your guitar with your Roland-V?

When you have that scenario setup, you can hear your guitar as you play/record it... right?

I'd assume the only difference is when the specific track in use on your Roland is either set for "monitor" (record) or listen/mix.

Your Roland manual should clearly explain this whether it's how I just mentioned or via USB? :huh:

I believe the Roland's are more advanced that what I use to use (Tascam 788).

How do you record your guitar with your Roland-V?

Guitar -> Input1L| RolandVS100- Preamp|USB out -> USB in |Sonar X1 Audio Workstation - VSTfx  MixerMonitor| USB out -> USB in|RolandVS100|Main out->Headphones

When you have that scenario setup, you can hear your guitar as you play/record it... right?

Yes, I control everything through the DAW, mixing and the effects.

I'd assume the only difference is when the specific track in use on your Roland is either set for "monitor" (record) or listen/mix.

Don't know what you mean here, different from what? I use the monitoring in the DAW (buttons:  mute, arm, solo, monitor)

Your Roland manual should clearly explain this whether IT's how I just mentioned or via USB? 

Again, I don't know what you mean.. What is IT?

I believe the Roland's are more advanced that what I use to use (Tascam 788).

The outputs maybe...Your unit has more control strips, mine only one, but then I do most things on the DAW.

Maybe I should have made clearer, I want to hook the pod up more as an FX processor. Also while playing back dry tracks~on the DAW!!!

• "IT" is the method I outlined in my last post.

Read up (and search YouTube) on "Re-Amping" with the POD.

I don't ReAmp, I use mine "in-line" for 'real-time' guitar processing with the XLR's out to my A/I which is Firewired to my PC.

Read your Roland V manual. It may not have your exact scenario but you should be able to extrapolate what you need from the ones that they do show.

"Arm" is when the track is "enabled" to record. In my DAW, Studio One (S1), I arm and monitor at the same time.

I used to use the the 788... I've since sold it and solely use S1 on my PC.

I did allready do that and more...... very tiresome..... finally I found something that seems to meet my needs, it's called "External Insert plug-in" and is included in the Studio and Producer versions of SonarX..

Thx though 4 the input!!