9 replies to this topic

#1 jbailes

jbailes

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I had heard that the spider IV series does not play well with other effects pedals (no effects loop on the amp). Being the huge Lynch fan that I am, I didn't want to forsake some good Lynch tones I have because my spider IV 75w combo might not work with it well. Long story short, I put the amp in manual mode, clean red, eqs at 5, and plugged in a Zoom G2G Mr Scary box in front of it. And man, it sounded awesome!!! So much so that it almost made some the stock spider IV presets kinda sterile sounding. Blazed away for a while, turned the amp off, un hooked the Zoom pedal turned the amp back on and everything was fine. Just thought someone might find this helpful.

Attached Files

#2 Natedog_37

Natedog_37

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTemperance

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

I use my digitech GNX with my HD150 no issues.  Same as you Red Clean but high/mid/low all at 5.  Sounds great.  I then go into by pass mode on the GNX and use the line6 FX no need to unplug.  Worked great at our last show last week.

#3 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

As you have found out, there are no inherent issues in using stmpboxes with Spider IV amps!  However, certain effects (internal or external) don't work well together, such as WAH and distortion.

#4 jbailes

jbailes

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

I've got a couple Dunlop wahs that I like very much, a 535Q and Zakk Wylde. Not that I'm a big wah guy at all, but are you saying these would work well with the amp if I plugged it in front of the amp?

Attached Files

#5 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

Again, it will depend on the amp settings, but go ahead and try them, it won't hurt anything!

#6 jbailes

jbailes

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Well, most of the settings I use are somewhat "Metallica" oriented. I don't really use much in the line of additional effects, just a ton of distortion.

Attached Files

#7 Natedog_37

Natedog_37

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTemperance

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Yes plug this inline before the amp.

#8 jbailes

jbailes

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Ok. I imagine about the only time I'd even use a wah would be doing some Black Label, but it's difficult to create an authentic sounding setting.

Attached Files

#9 Natedog_37

Natedog_37

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTemperance

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

If you have the short board why not use the built in wah?

#10 jbailes

jbailes

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

If you have the short board why not use the built in wah?

I do have the shortboard, but I'm just not that impressed with the tonality of the various built-in wah sounds.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users