Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Red Comp

bcbeast

"Pre" means it is in the signal chain prior to the preamp, "Post", means it is in the chain after the preamp.

Compression takes a lower volume signal and boosts it, or takes a higher volume signal and reduces it in volume so the overall volume is more even.  If you have compression on (and turned way up) and are not playing, you will most likely notice a hissing/noise sound building up in volume as the compression tries to bring up the volume (when there is no signal), so its boosting the background noise.  As soon as you strike a note on your guitar, you will hear the hissing stop.

So what is the difference "sound wise " to my ear pre sounds more refined or more processed than post.

Which compression do you prefer ? I did the software update from 1.02 to 2.0 and noticed a lot more compression options.

Is there anywhere to get a listing of what pre-sets & effects become effective after the software upgrade?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get all the bugs ironed out .

So what is the difference "sound wise " to my ear pre sounds more refined or more processed than post.

Which compression do you prefer ? I did the software update from 1.02 to 2.0 and noticed a lot more compression options.

Is there anywhere to get a listing of what pre-sets & effects become effective after the software upgrade?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get all the bugs ironed out .

I've always put the compressor post, after all other effects.

Typiclaly, I rely on the default settings for effects.  Experiment to find out the differences in sound when you switch between the various models and pre/post.  What one person likes for sound can vary too much for what someone else likes.

• 2 weeks later...