Photo

Stereo Wireless Unit? If Not...what About Two Units?

Best Answer RonMarton , 12 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

What a wonderful instrument !!!  :)

The phenomenal array of possibilities that the three outputs from Godin's xtSA allow make my head spin, but one of the main talking points for me (albeit probably academic to almost everybody else) is that nowhere in this discussion do we actually need to consider "real stereo", which  requires perfectly "in time" arrival from a matched pair of identical systems to create a "stereo image".

As it happens, I have derived very satisfying "stereo" from a pair of XD-V wireless systems (the "sister system" to Relay) when the need was for "invisible" stereo pickup from a grand piano (and almost equally grand pianist) that revolved during the performance.

So a pair of Relay systems will definitely do what you ask, whereas the "squeeze and wheeze" of analog systems will (equally definitely) destroy the amazing tone and colour range that's available at your xtSA's outputs.

Which Relay ?

I'd be very surprised if anyone in a "blindfold test" could actually hear any difference at all between most of the Relay systems, but ...and it's a very big

...BUT...     

the physical requirements of housing and trucking a pair of receivers may well be the deciding factor. 

That's where I reckon extra cash spent on the vastly improved ruggedness that arrives with the ability to "half-rack mount" a pair of receivers (maybe even permanently wired "ready to go" in a case shared with a twin-input amp head or a mixer, or both) would be money very well spent.

(I don't mind the occasional big "but", do you ?)    ("Physical requirements", anyone ?)

Aaanyway, ...given the money that you've already invested, I feel that all of the above just screams "A pair of Relay G55s!".

BTW, whatever model you choose, the pair of beltpacks will need to be on different channels and (as you've heard) spaced apart on your guitar strap or your belt. Anything more than about a handspan will work really well. (This is me, saying no more.)  :unsure:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 starred

starred

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

Dear all,

I've a Godin three voice XTSA: http://www.godinguit.../godinxtsap.htm and I play it on a POD HD Pro / 500 (I've both :-) )

In most of the cases, I'm not using synth output, but I always use el-guitar magnets and piezo with two separate outputs (so I can mute the piezo channel when I switch on el-guitar programs, without having to low down the piezo volume from the guitar).

Thus...how to go wireless with both? Should I buy two Relay DW? is there any other solution?

In case of a double-Relay, any suggestion on the model? I don't need more than 100feet, though I read the dynamic range is slightly shorter in the G30 (though it is only 2db...). I'm not saving money if this means less quality, but if G30 is really being used by so many people probably it is enough..

Some aspects which cause indecision..

- the dynamic range? any feedback on this from people who tried both?

- 100feet are more than enough for me (usually I play on stage and don't get dropped by airplanes while playing :-) ), though as these may not be always effective, the 200ft advertised by G50 may be a safer choice

- this is very important, as this could lead to not buying G30 nor G50. I read a couple of posts about people having issues in plugging two wireless receivers to a single guitar (interference among the two, may be not the main wave, but other noises which maybe emitted by the two units and which interefere only because these are very close to each other..., this would motivate why even if set on different channels, they still have intereferences...btw this reason was still not cleared in the posts I read). Any feedback on this? anyone tried the two wireless units on a same guitar?

Thanks for all your feedback!

P.S: is Line6 foreseeing a stereo wireless unit?

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:03 AM   Best Answer

What a wonderful instrument !!!  :)

The phenomenal array of possibilities that the three outputs from Godin's xtSA allow make my head spin, but one of the main talking points for me (albeit probably academic to almost everybody else) is that nowhere in this discussion do we actually need to consider "real stereo", which  requires perfectly "in time" arrival from a matched pair of identical systems to create a "stereo image".

As it happens, I have derived very satisfying "stereo" from a pair of XD-V wireless systems (the "sister system" to Relay) when the need was for "invisible" stereo pickup from a grand piano (and almost equally grand pianist) that revolved during the performance.

So a pair of Relay systems will definitely do what you ask, whereas the "squeeze and wheeze" of analog systems will (equally definitely) destroy the amazing tone and colour range that's available at your xtSA's outputs.

Which Relay ?

I'd be very surprised if anyone in a "blindfold test" could actually hear any difference at all between most of the Relay systems, but ...and it's a very big

...BUT...     

the physical requirements of housing and trucking a pair of receivers may well be the deciding factor. 

That's where I reckon extra cash spent on the vastly improved ruggedness that arrives with the ability to "half-rack mount" a pair of receivers (maybe even permanently wired "ready to go" in a case shared with a twin-input amp head or a mixer, or both) would be money very well spent.

(I don't mind the occasional big "but", do you ?)    ("Physical requirements", anyone ?)

Aaanyway, ...given the money that you've already invested, I feel that all of the above just screams "A pair of Relay G55s!".

BTW, whatever model you choose, the pair of beltpacks will need to be on different channels and (as you've heard) spaced apart on your guitar strap or your belt. Anything more than about a handspan will work really well. (This is me, saying no more.)  :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users