Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax mags no sound

Okay, I feel like I am missing something obvious here. I wanted to blend the sound of the coral sitar with the magnetic pickup. I am getting the sitar sound but not the mags.

I attached a picture of the setup. I am using the L6 into a DT25 and using the VDI cable.

Like I said I feel like I am missing something easy here. When I try to just play the mags there is no sound at all.

post-82951-0-90138200-1409404443_thumb.jpg

I have tried making input 2 Variax. When I do that I only hear the modeled sound.

The screen shot I put up was from when I was testing just getting a sound without the models.

I have also tried reversing inputs 1 and 2, putting the Variax on input 1 and Variax Mags on input 2.

Workbench Pilots Guide page 10:

"Magnetics Blend

Use the Magnetics Blend control to blend in the magnetic pickups on your JTV guitar with your model. 

Our magnetic pickups are hardwired to the 5-way/3-way switch in your Variax, so whatever pickups you have selected on your guitar will get blended in here. You could select an Acoustic 12 String model, for example, and mix in your magnetic pickups for a rich electric/acoustic blend.

Note: The magnetic pickups on your Variax are not alt tuned by the Variax DSP, so best results can be obtained by blending your magnetics with standard or harmonically compatible tunings only."

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434c5bcd520d3ab6261d4/application/pdf/Workbench%20HD%20Pilot's%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

The above will get you the result you want assuming a fix mix between the two.

The more fundamental problem is that you can't get any output over VDI for Variax Mags and sorry, but I don't understand what is going wrong.  Selecting Variax Mags as an Input is all that is needed to get their sound through.

The only thing that might be a problem and I'm sure that you have tried this, is to make sure that the volume knob is turned up... ?

I know it sounds stupid, but when VDI controlled the Models can sound at full volume because with an HD500 the volume know can be used as an Expression controller.  I have quite often given the volume knob a slight twist only to have it almost cut out on me because it was turned all the way down but the models were sounding fine.  the tone control seems to do the opposite; the number of times I have struggled with a "dead tone" only to discover that when I had been tweaking an JTV Acoustic and I had forgotten to turn the Tone knob back up again when I switched to electric...

I am now getting a sound from the Variax mags through the VDI, but it is noisy.  I have attached a file with a sample of me playing a few chords in each of the 5 positions.  I had only Variaz Mags selected as input 1; input 2 was set to Aux and nothing was plugged into that.

I thought it might be the VDI cable, but when I use modeled sounds everything sounds great.

I checked the volume and tone knobs as suggested, but alas nothing changed.  I was really hoping it would be something that easy!

Variax Mags with VDI.mp3