Photo

Shure Ksm9 (rpw184 Version) With Xd-v Handhelds

Best Answer mediterraneo , 25 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi, I've tried the Shure KSM9 capsule with the Line6  wireless and... works perfectly and without detectable loss of quality. Thanks LINE6!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mediterraneo

mediterraneo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

Hi, I have a question, you can use the capsule Shure KSM 9  RPW 184 with wireless systems XD V30 / V35?

#2 mediterraneo

mediterraneo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

Currently I am using a wireless capsule Beta58 with complete satisfaction, but do not know if it will be possible with the KSM9

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

Sadly, the answer is a "definite maybe", which I'm sure (or, indeed, Shure) is NOT what you wanted to hear about your possibly investing an extra (approximately) USD $550 of your hard-earned cash.

In theory, the powering, audio levels, impedances, screw-mounting and connections should all be pretty much compatible, BUT, ...I certainly wouldn't be parting with that sort of cash without first having tried the combination, ...preferably actually on stage, ...or (at the very least) in a store. 

#4 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

The KSM9 capsule draws too much current to work on Line 6 transmitters. I have never been sucessful,with it.

#5 mediterraneo

mediterraneo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Ok, thanks for to report. Shure indicates that the capsule can work with any issuer of his range.

#6 mediterraneo

mediterraneo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:08 PM   Best Answer

Hi, I've tried the Shure KSM9 capsule with the Line6  wireless and... works perfectly and without detectable loss of quality. Thanks LINE6!

#7 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

The KSM9 capsule draws too much current to work on Line 6 transmitters. I have never been sucessful,with it.

I'm guessing, Don, that perhaps you tried an older model of Shure's KSM9, not the more recent RPW184 version.

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

...and sincere thanks from all of us Line 6 users to mediterraneo for persevering and taking the trouble to post this alternative.

#9 pjmuck

pjmuck

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm guessing, Don, that perhaps you tried an older model of Shure's KSM9, not the more recent RPW184 version.

Are you referring to the RPW180? What exacty is the difference? I was thinking about picking up the RPW180 for my newly acquired XD-V75, but want to make sure it will work.

#10 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

There may be some loss of dynamic range when used with the Line 6 handhelds compared to using it with a Shure system. You may never hear it depending on how hard you drive the mic, but it is possible. There are a number of users that are very happy with the capsule on Line 6 systems.

If the new model draws less current than the old version all the better. I don't have the specs.

#11 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

Are you referring to the RPW180? What exacty is the difference?...

I believe that the only difference between the two is the finish, inasmuch as the RPW180 has a "slightly pink/amber tinted" type of "silver" finish, whereas the RPW184 is finished in black.

#12 mediterraneo

mediterraneo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Are you referring to the RPW180? What exacty is the difference? I was thinking about picking up the RPW180 for my newly acquired XD-V75, but want to make sure it will work.

Hello, I use the RPW180 with the XD-V75, it works perfectly, but I would not buy the RPW180, once listened the emulations of the XD-V75 that are very good. It saves the money.

Personally the Neumann 105 is the better thing that I have, but unattainably in version wireless.

#13 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

...I use the RPW180 with the XD-V75, it works perfectly, but I would not buy an RPW180, after having heard the emulations available in the XD-V75 that are very good. It saves  money.

Personally, I think the Neumann 105 is the better of the two, but is not compatible with XD-V wireless handhelds.

Having taken the liberty of "clarifying" (I hope) some parts of what was just said by the one who started this topic, I heartily endorse ALL of those sentiments, in that

1. I have yet to find any Shure product that sounds as good to my ears as Neumann's vocal soloist microphones, being their KSM 104 cardioid and KSM 105 supercardioid ...and
  2. In my opinion, mediterraneo's advice to hold your cash until you are absolutely certain that none of the Line 6 mic model "emulations" (included "for free" with every XD-V75) actually "do it" for you is really, REALLY wise !

#14 pjmuck

pjmuck

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

Having taken the liberty of "clarifying" (I hope) some parts of what was just said by the one who started this topic, I heartily endorse ALL of those sentiments, in that

1. I have yet to find any Shure product that sounds as good to my ears as Neumann's vocal soloist microphones, being their KSM 104 cardioid and KSM 105 supercardioid ...and
  2. In my opinion, mediterraneo's advice to hold your cash until you are absolutely certain that none of the Line 6 mic model "emulations" (included "for free" with every XD-V75) actually "do it" for you is really, REALLY wise !

And I, dear sir, shall heartily endorse all of your sentiments as well, given my initial impressions of my newly acquired system. :)

I mentioned in another thread that the Neumann KMS105 and Shure KSM9 are my mics of choice live, depending on the situation. (Do you think that was a deliberate attempt on Shure's part to sway public opinion by using the same 3 letters in their model? Hmm). Generally speaking, I've favored condensers over the years since I discovered my Beta87 back in the 90's. But yesterday I spent a few hours with the XD-V75 and was sufficiently blown away. The clarity and clean signal is unbelievable, such that it's even quieter than some of my wired mics! Furthermore, I'm very impressed with (most) of the mic models. I've always historically hated the Beta 58 on my voice, as it sounds very honky to my ears. Not so on the Line 6 model. In fact, it's one of my favorites! :lol:Likewise on the SM57, which just sounds cleaner and smoother to my ears than my actual SM57.

I did some acapella vocal recordings yesterday of all 10 Line 6 models along with 6 other wired mics (and their various adjustment options where applicable) straight into Logic via my RME Babyface, no effects, just a touch of compression, just to hear comparisons. (The 6 wired mics were: Neumann KMS105, Shure KSM9, Shure Beta87a, Heil PR35, Shure SM57, and Shure SM7B). Obviously, this does not represent a real world application or environment (unless I'm recording or just doing voice overs by myself), but it did reflect each mic's characteristics and similarities/dissimilarities. So while my ears still gravitated towards the Neumann and KSM9 (cardioid setting), most of the Line 6 models could work extremely well in various applications.

At this point, I'm only entertaining a KSM9 capsule not so much out of necessity but to have a different flavor in my arsenal.

#15 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

thanks for the report.  I'm sure it will help others comtemplating switching capsules.

That said, give the new Earthworks and DPA capsules a shot before spending your $$$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users