Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Pro X - Basic Hum (extreme)

hoppst1

Dear all,

I recently owned  POD HD Pro X, which I use together with a Tube Amp.

I have experienced an extreme Hum using this unit in front of the amp (Guitar to any Input of the HD Pro, I also tried any output)

The hum is a "basic" hum (sorry not sure how to use correct english), that means it occurs even without any instrument plugged in and also with no effects and master volume turned down (noise gate has all no effect).

Interesting wise, the unit is extremely silent using it in the serial or parallel loop and does not add any hum/hiss to my setup.

I tested it with different instruments, cables and also in fron of another tube amp. Results are all the same.

Currently I use the unit in serial and switchable parallel loop, which works very well and basically also fits to my needs (in case i want to use any amp simulation i use 2nd guitar and 2nd input on the POD HD and directly go to the power amp), but nevertheless I was wondering if someone may have any idea what is causing this humming, as I would more prefer to have the effects in front of the Pre-Amp.

thanks a lot for every opinion/idea

regards

Yes, it sounds like it could be your second guitar input is mixing in with your first guitar.

In the Menu pages you can choose what type of input, try changing it as may be set to "same" or "guitar".

Or somehow dampen the second guitar.

Hi bjnette,

thanks for your answer, basically that cannot be the reason, as the it occurs without anything plugged in and master down, i already tried to switch between the different Inputs.

basic input setting is guitar only (second same)

I also tried to switch between the different outputs (Studio/Power amp/ Stack etc) but this has no affect at all

thanks

I don't think this has anything to do with your hum but here it goes anyway. Do you have the Pro X going into a computer via USB? Is there a tv or computer screen very close to your guitar? RF from tv's, some light bulbs, dimmer switches, any kind of fan, cell phones, home phones, fax machines, cable modems, and a slew of other devices out there can wreak havoc with your sound. If you stay clear of those you'll get a cleaner signal. When I record directly in front of my laptop i get quite a bit of noise with my single coil strat unless I unplug the power cord to my laptop and record on battery power. If I move away from my 'puter and tv I get a cleaner signal but still may have a bit of RF in there if I listen closely. If you put your guitar pick ups right up close the screen or any of these other devices you'll hear what I mean. I was fooling around with my cell phone and decided to record the RF from it while recording once and called it "Digital Dookey".

I think there's a 50Hz or 60Hz selection in the settings of the pod maybe try changeing it to see what happens.

Edited by Brazzy

Hi Brazzy,

thanks for your answer.

My setup is placed in the practicing room, nothing there basically. I also tried to unplug everything except amp and POD HD (i left the light on in the room) and used different plug sockets.

Also tried to turn the plug 180 degrees in different combinations.

Basically I am not sure if this is a general mis-installation of the Power Supply within the room, but as the hum only occurs with the POD I am not sure about that (testing this would mean to move my setup to another room, I will try that as soon as I find the time (and motivation) for that). 

This hum happens with a very simple setup:

just plug any output of the Pod to the front of the amp the hum is there. Plug it into the Power amp, hum is away.

Thats why i thought it may be the amp itself, but on both other amps in the room the result is the same.

regards

I understand about being motivated to look hard for the causes of this sort of thing it becomes a drag real quick. When I run into this sort of thing I reflash my pod to eliminate any firmware issues that can easily arise at no real fault of the user. That way I have a fresh start to diagnose my set up with. Good Luck hope your successful.

just plug any output of the Pod to the front of the amp the hum is there. Plug it into the Power amp, hum is away.

Thats why i thought it may be the amp itself, but on both other amps in the room the result is the same.

regards

I see what you mean, it does sound like it the preamp section of your tube amp. Maybe a better quality preamp tube would fix it.

Edited by Brazzy

I understand about being motivated to look hard for the causes of this sort of thing it becomes a drag real quick. When I run into this sort of thing I reflash my pod to eliminate any firmware issues that can easily arise at no real fault of the user. That way I have a fresh start to diagnose my set up with. Good Luck hope your successful.

I see what you mean, it does sound like it the preamp section of your tube amp. Maybe a better quality preamp tube would fix it.

mhh not sure I tested it with another tube amp and the result is the same, tubes are not a year old. I will go and check it on another Power circuit as soon as possible.

As the hum is when plugged in the input of the amp it very much sounds like thew guitar pickups inducting hum from the HDPRO or the Amp or both.

Try turning the HDPRO 90 degrees to your guitar. Amp too.

Also pivoting the angle of the guitar till it is at its quietest by you pivoting on a chair.

Plug the PODHD into the pre-amp section (which will hum).  Then while it's still plugged into the pre-amp section also plug it into the power amp section.  The hum should go away with it plugged into both.  This means your pre-amp section is not grounded internally correctly. 

Plug the PODHD into the pre-amp section (which will hum).  Then while it's still plugged into the pre-amp section also plug it into the power amp section.  The hum should go away with it plugged into both.  This means your pre-amp section is not grounded internally correctly. 

I will try that, thanks ! 

You must have some sort of ground loop happening. I had a cable that caused this hum once all i did was wiggle and pull it in and out of the jack gently to get the hum to go away. Later I tried a different cable and no problem. There may have been a slight difference with the jacks 'cause I don't think it was the actual cable. This was with my LD300 Bass amp.

Maybe you need to check the solder joint in the cable jack. The wire in there may have frayed and is touching something it shoudn't.