Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69US - Does anybody know if the Maple Necks are finished or unfinished?

They're finished, but it's a clear satin finish, so it's very light. It's totally different than the tinted gloss of, say, a vintage Fender neck. It doesn't get gummy feeling at all. I really like the neck on mine.

Thanks for the reply! So, is using lemon oil or any similar clearner a bad idea? Could it permanently ruin the maple neck with the satin finish?

Permanently ruin it? I doubt it, unless you soak the neck in a vat of the stuff. However, conventional wisdom says no lemon oil on finished necks... most of the oil is just gonna sit on top of the laquer, unlike ebony or rosewood boards which are completely unfinished. On those the oil will easily penetrate the grain. There are oil-finish only necks...but they seem to be rather rare as they are more prone to warping. Warmoth, for example, will sell you a raw neck, but won't warranty it if you apply an oil-only finish.