Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-59P G-String Not Staying in Tune.

Anyone else had an issue where 1 of their strings is constantly out of tune??

I've basically had this issue since day one. Initially I just thought it was because the strings were new, but over time I've just been dealing with it. Now it's to the point that I'm wondering if something is wrong with the guitar.

The guitar is about 10 months old and still have the original strings. I keep my guitar in the gig bag (which I hate), when I'm not playing it. I only get it out during rehearsals and performance and the first thing I do is check my tuning. Most of the strings are out by a couple of cents or so, but the G-string is ALWAYS down to at least a Gb?!?

Before I go and completely blame the guitar itself, do you think it could be a result of the gig bag being laid on its side during transportation? The G-string tuning peg is the top right tuning peg when facing the guitar.

I've heard of B strings not staying tuned, but the G string kinda leaves me baffled.

Same issue with my 59P. The next time you change your strings, you might want to check the tightness of the tuners. The nut on the top side of the neck was really loose on some of the tuners and in particular the G string. Each time I change strings I check them. However, even after doing that the G string is prone to go out of tune for me. So much so that I check it in between songs at gigs.

I store my guitar on a stand when not in use so I don't think it is your gig bag.

Also check for G string binding in the  Nut slot ( see my Avatar - for pic of my JTV-59 with Bigsby that always stays in tune)

After I slightly opened up the Nut slots (with Warmoth Nut Files)  I then use Big Bends Nut Sauce to lube the Nut.

Upgraded the Tuners to GFS Locking Tuners $32 - these are actually from the same Asian supplier that Line 6 uses and bolt right on - 

The "G" string is always the most problematic for me with most 3+3 "Gibson style headstock guitars 
  • Upvote 1

I had a similar problem with my JTV59 when I had original tuners and used to store it in the gig bag.  I always thought it was the gig bag that was causing the G string tuner to move slightly and hence it being close to Gb when I came to tune it.  When I moved to keeping it in a hard case - it was much better - and was only really going out of tune as much as the others due to heat variation etc - and I have since also upgraded the tuners to locking tuners but mainly to make changing strings easier rather than to help tuning stability.

And just like stevekc, I have noticed that the G string tends to be the most out of tune with all my 3+3 style guitars - but when I had the JTV59 in the gig bag it was always very noticeable and way out.

• Upvote 1

I've basically had this issue since day one. Initially I just thought it was because the strings were new, but over time I've just been dealing with it. Now it's to the point that I'm wondering if something is wrong with the guitar.

The guitar is about 10 months old and still have the original strings.

I'd start with a new set of strings. I'm amazed that any of the strings still stay in tune after 10 months...and there's no telling how long they were on the guitar before you got it. I can get a couple of weeks out of a set of strings on guitars that I don't play often...but my two main every day axes...4 maybe 5 days and the strings are toast. Even if you don't play much the strings will begin to corrode and lose their ability to stay in tune just sitting there. Pick up any guitar thats been hanging in a store and hasn't had a new set in months...they're always disgusting to the touch, and tuning stability is long gone.

• Upvote 2

I second cruisonon2's post. I don't change my strings as often a he does, but doubt I get more than a month or 2 out of mine. I change 'em when they start to go "dead" on me. Also when they get worn out, the intonation goes to pot, as well. Usually depends on how much I'm gigging, though sometimes when I'm particularly busy, they get left on longer than I'd like, like right now, I think I have a couple week break, so will do guitar maintenance in the next week or so. Change the strings, oil the fingerboards, and give 'em a good cleaning & shine...

One other thing, I have the 59 and the 69S. The 69S has locking tuners on it, mostly for tremolo stability, but it also does a good job of preventing string slip at the tuning post. I don't use the tremolo much -- don't leave the arm on, usually. I use both my 69S & 59 out gigging -- one backs the other one up for broken strings etc., though I haven't had much of a problem with these two breaking their strings...

My 59, and every other guitar I have without the locking tuners, had the tuning instability until I learned the correct way to attach the strings at the tuner end, so it locks in on itself. There are many instructions & illustrations of this on the web, and I'm sure videos on YouTube as well.

Usually the first thing I do when I get a new guitar is put my favorite brand and gauge on it, then set the action and intonation like I want. When I buy a guitar off the wall at a music store, or online, I never know how long those strings have been on the instrument, and if they aren't the size I usually use, or the feel annoys me, I change them right away. I think I left the originals on my 59 & 69S for maybe a week or so before I changed them out. they weren't bad, but I have other favorites that I string all my electrics with. Nothing like the sound of a new set of strings... Ahhh... and a good cup of coffee in the morning...

YMMV

Dave

I have elixirs on mine, those lasted about, 4-5 months. Still have them right now as I'm low on money, but even those go dead after a while.

It's just physics. You slam on strings for that long and they're going to go out of tune and have crap intonation. Also they will sound like crap and make the modeling on a Variax sound bad.

Change your strings. Set up your guitar properly.