Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for some specific instructions for the Parametric EQ

357mag

I'd like to begin experimenting with the Parametric EQ but I'm lost as to how to use it. Right now I have a guitar sound that is pretty darn good but it's sounding a little too murky and bassy. I think I need some more mids and treble. I'd appreciate some specific instructions on how to use that EQ.

For example, the 3rd knob from the left is the Freq knob. Do I first set that to what percentage I want to cut or boost, and then once that is set do I move over to the Gain know and raise or lower it?

The first and second knobs from the left are for lows and highs. What do I do with those?

And then there is the Q knob. How do I use that?

Have you tried just cutting the lows first. I try to play and adjust at the same time, not easy but possible. It nice when you can hear the tone change when your adjusting it. Sometimes I turn the gain up to adjust the freq and then readjust the gain. The "Q" is like a focus adjustment. Check this out about "Q". >>>http://howtoeq.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/q-factor-and-bandwidth-in-eq-what-it-all-means/

I've worked with Para EQ before, althought not the one on the POD too much, more ones in DAWs.

This is my general take on how to use them. Take a frequency (doesn't matter which one) and jack it up a lot (Gain). The idea here is not to make it sound good but to use it find what you want to boost or more than likely cut.  The Q is the frequency width you hearing. On on normal EQ when you boosting say 1k you are not just boosting 1k but a bunch of other frequencies around it too. The Q controls how much you want to boost or cut it. So set a pretty small Q so you getting a pretty much just that frequency boost a whole lot. Not roll the Frequency knob around while playing something. What you looking for what frequency that mud starts becoming very pronounced. So once you find that, your singal probably sounds like muddy mess, but you know know what Frequency that you hearing.  So now start widen the Q some and roll back the Gain to unitiy. Now start rolling back the gain into the negative tertorry to start removing that mud. General rule it to cut it a bit but not too much, too much will generally make the guitar sound unnatural. If you happy then you are done. If there was more than one grab another band on the EQ and do the same thing.

Where a general EQ could be considered big knife for sculping the sound, the Para EQ is more like a surgial scaple for very precise EQ changes. 

Is it possible to record a passage of me playing something and record it with the built-in looper, and then have the POD just continually play it back while I monkey with the EQ at the same time?

It's kinda a pain to play and monkey with turning knobs at the same time.

I don't use the HD500 Looper very much. I use my computer, open up audacity, make a riff, duplicate it if I need be too then record another riff while monitoring with my amp. For example, I'm using and X3 Pro with my computer, monitoring with a Spider Jam amp and sometimes I use the HD500 in the mix along with the X3 Pro or use the HD500 as a MIDI controller for the X3 Pro. I hear others are using a separate looper for better versatility.

Is it possible to record a passage of me playing something and record it with the built-in looper, and then have the POD just continually play it back while I monkey with the EQ at the same time?...

yes, it is. just place the looper in the PRE position using the FS3 (talkin' abt BUILT-IN LOOPER, NOT FX-LOOP)...

quoting from "POD HD500 Advanced Guide v2.10 - English ( Rev A )", page 8-2:

PRE/POST - Toggling the FS3 switch determines the position of the Looper in your Signal Flow, which dictates whether Amp & FX processing is added to your guitar signal during the recording of your Loop, or only for the Loop’s playback.

• PRE (FS3 switch light is Off): Your guitar signal is recorded unprocessed (i.e. - the Loop is recorded “pre†Amp & FX processing). When played back, the Loop audio is mixed with incoming guitar to feed the current Preset’s Amp & FX processing. If you change Presets or tone settings while set to PRE, you’ll hear them applied to your Loop playback.

• When the Looper is set to PRE, the Pre/Post icon appears as “POST,†to indicate that pressing the PRE/POST footswitch will set the Looper to POST.

• POST(FS3 switch light is on): Your guitar signal is recorded processed (i.e. - the Loop is recorded “post†Amp & FX processing). When played back, the Loop audio is mixed with incoming guitar AFTER the guitar signal has been processed through the Amp and FX. This provides the ability select a new Preset which is applied only on your guitar input, while the Loop plays back with the original recorded Preset tone

• Upvote 1