Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Saving up resources in patches

aerosol_d7

Hello,

Since many of us use dirty and clean sound mostly.

I tried to create a patch with dual amps (eg treadplate and blackface) and dual volume controls to switch btw dirty/clean.

As if I had only a stompbox to activate dirty. Trying to keep it simple.

However it gets too much DSP if I want to add noise gate, reverb, chorus, pitch etc. (pod hd 500)

Now, I need some ideas to solve DSP limitation.

My first idea is to keep treadplate and remove blackface and try to tweak "noamp" signal with EQs etc to be as close as possible to the blackface removed. (sure it wont be the same)

However it doesnt seem easy to tweak with only EQ block, so I got 3 or 4. Therefore, no big change here.

apart from using external stuff (reverb of an amp or EQs pedals).

have you guys done something like this? any new idea to help me? or should try another approach?

or maybe theres a document somewhere that says x can be replaced by y; xyz replaced by w

suggestions will be appreciated.

You could try using only a clean amp (try the soldano clean) with distortion (maybe even multiple distortions at once or more than one to turn on/off in stages as needed) and maybe compression before the amp. This sort of setup would only really need one amp (unless you're into dual cabs/mics) and would leave many more options available. Still have clean and distorted within one patch. And some of the distortions really don't sound bad at all.

try switching the less dominant amp to a PRE (or both) version rather than the full model....

also try assigning the pedal to control amp channel volume rather than using the volume control pedal effects.

reading meambobbo guide, he says treadplate full is totally different from treadplate PRE, it doesnt seem you agree with it, do you?

if you do, what steps would you do to replace the full by pre? keep the same settings, put nocab and increase volume? is there a guide to it?

I am answering my own question after reading another post: replace the volume pedal and set the bypass volume when the amp is off(I did not know that existed)

ok, thanks I appreciate it anyways

Now I m wondering, since Im running through speakers (PA direct), I always use full amps. AND primarily use PRE for fxreturn for an AMP.

I have in mind that full and pre amp models are there to be chosen. there s no rule for a tone. It depends how finicky you are..etc

As in the guide, you can put FULL amps in fxreturn for AMP also because doubling PowerAmps is not so critical.

The question is: using pre amp models (for direct mode) is not having something missing in your gear? ( in theory )

Is it something that you guys dont really care at all when building a patch? theres no common sense?