Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X, Focusrite 18i20, Mac, Dropping Spdif connection

mkaylor

I have an iMac running 10.8

Uptodate Line-6 HD500X hooked up USB to iMac and SPdif to Focusrite 18i20.  HD500X demands to be the sync source.

UptoDate Focusrite 18i20 hooked up USB to Mac

Focusrite works great and all is well until I start playing the guitar and it switches from Spdif sync to Internal and starts clicking.  I've tried 44 and 48Khz.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

I had a similar problem. May not be the same... but my interface would lose sync when i opened Garageband or Logic because the project had a specific setting specified. If you lose sync when opening your DAW or other software you may double check there.

as i said though... my issue might have been completely unrelated to yours.... just an idea.

HD500, Roland Octa-Capture and OS X 10.9 here.

The synchrony is lost using the S/PDIF after a while, causing stuttering, or no sound at all. When that happens, I have to restart the interface (and all that implies: software, monitors, etc).

Therefore, I had to use analog connections only. It's a real shame because the S/PDIF has more volume and avoid those unnecessary conversions (D/A then A/D).

if you unplug the USB cable going to the HD500X the 18i20 stays in sync with it.  So definately a problem with the USB on the HD500X for some reason.

I have to try that, thanks! (although the fact that you can not use the HDedit at the same time really sucks)

By the way, also I have problems using the HDedit and the WahWah simultaneously. After a while the program crashes, and I can not reopen it unless you restart the POD. The thing that bothers me is that the Line6 support tries to attribute this to my computers (I have 4 macs at home, plus a TI degree) instead of recognizing that there is a bug with the USB and try to fix it, so it was a waste of time and a frustrating experience contact with them.

• 3 months later...

HD500X has a setting for S/PDIF sample rate.  Set the 18i20 to the same value; then select S/PDIF as the the synch source on the 18i20.  You must check the Synch Source and Sample Rate when you swith to various DAW apps.  Note that if the DAW app is not agile (switches automatically), you will have to re-check the Synch Source.  Some DAWs will only allow a sample rate setting during setup of a new project/song and not allow changing thereafter; you must setup the sample rate in kind on each device including the DAW or match the DAW (thus the term synch as in synchronized sampling/timing).

-cheers