Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Questions about recording with a 500x

spawn2031

Hey guys, been a bit since I have posted on here.  I've been away having a blast with my setup.  I was able to dial in a great tone that I love that work perfect for my rig but now I am thinking about trying to do some recording and I have a few questions about it.

1) What is the easiest way (if there is one at all) to convert over so that the tone I have now is recorded into the pc?  I assume that I am not going to be lucky enough to just plug into the pc and get the exact same sound.  I'm aware that this might be a process of tweaking and tweaking until I get it like setting up my initial sound but any pointers would be great.

2)  What, in your guys experience, has been the best DAW to work with for the HD 500x?  I've downloaded Reaper and plan to try that out in the next few days.  I'm kind of a dinosaur when it comes to digital recording.  I haven't done it in about 6 or 7 years and at that time I was using Acid. 

Thanks for your time guys.

1) It depends on how your tone is currently being created. If you are currently using just the HD500 to create your tone, and using Studio Direct output mode to a PA/Mixer then it should be as simple as connecting the HD500 to your computer via USB. Set your DAW to use the HD500 and its ASIO driver as the audio input/output device and you're good to go. However, if your tone involves an external guitar amplifier and you are using the HD500 in one of its Live Output Modes then in order to record your tone you will need to mic your amp. In that case you will also need an external audio interface to connect to your computer/DAW.

2) Reaper is great bang for the buck. It has a bit of a learning curve if you've been out of the game for a while, but stick with it.

• Upvote 1

1) It depends on how your tone is currently being created. If you are currently using just the HD500 to create your tone, and using Studio Direct output mode to a PA/Mixer then it should be as simple as connecting the HD500 to your computer via USB. Set your DAW to use the HD500 and its ASIO driver as the audio input/output device and you're good to go. However, if your tone involves an external guitar amplifier and you are using the HD500 in one of its Live Output Modes then in order to record your tone you will need to mic your amp. In that case you will also need an external audio interface to connect to your computer/DAW.

2) Reaper is great bang for the buck. It has a bit of a learning curve if you've been out of the game for a while, but stick with it.

Yeah I guess I should have elaborated a bit on that... my POD is running into a transparent Behinger iNuke power amp (no coloring of the sound from the POD) which powers a 4x12 Marshall cab.  I'll have to look at what settings the output on the POD is set to.  I know it is not set what you would think it should be set to for running into this kind of setup.  Still whatever the output is set to since part of my tone is coming from those Celestians chances of me getting a perfect match without doing a bunch of tweaking and creating a new patch is slim to none eh? 

It's worth a try to copy your existing patch to a new one and then use the Pod's cab/mic modeling to recreate your tone. Run the Pod's USB to Reaper, set your Output mode to Studio Direct, and monitor the sound using studio monitors or headphones connected to the Pod's outputs. It will take some tweaking but you should be able to find something close to your tone among the available mic/cab options and the Cab deep edit parameters.

I'll second the recommendation for Reaper. It's a great DAW. I was luck enough to get a free copy with the purchase of my Peavey Vypyr VIP II amp.

I'd also recommend taking a look at Acoustica Mixcraft. I just recorded a new song using version 6, which you can fully try out for free. I'm really impressed with it.