Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone getting feedback when using blue comp treb pedal?

alphadog808

Hey guys,

I was checking some of my patches at high volumes and I notice that I was getting uncontrollable feedback when using the blue comp treb.  

In a nutshell, I have the blue comp treb->Tubescreamer->JCM800.

I noticed that if I change to a different comp, the feedback goes away.  Normally, no big deal, but I like the sizzle that that pedal brings.   :(  IIRC, even diming the treble on the line6 comp or the amp didn't have the same effect.  

The only way I can keep the blue comp treb without feedback at high volume is if I turn down the Zinput to 22k.  But when I do that, I lose the sizzle as well.

I get the feedback with both inputs set to guitar or one set to variax...and the feedback happens on more than one guitar.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas?  Note, the feedback doesn't happen at low to mid volumes.  But at gigging volumes, it does.

I believe the amp gain is about 60ish and the tubescreamer gain was about 80.

That's a lot of gain coupled with a very bright compressor pedal. Of course it's going to feed back.

You need to build your patches at gig volume due to Fletcher/Munson curve and all that jazz. You need less highs as volume increases. That high of a noise floor coupled with compression and boosted treble is a recipe for feedback. Adjust your gain and treble settings at gig volumes to help tame that.

Also, a hard gate noise gate fairly early in the chain can help cut the squeal depending on where you place it. Between comp and screamer or between screamer and amp are both viable options.

Hey guys,

I was checking some of my patches at high volumes and I notice that I was getting uncontrollable feedback when using the blue comp treb.

In a nutshell, I have the blue comp treb->Tubescreamer->JCM800.

I noticed that if I change to a different comp, the feedback goes away. Normally, no big deal, but I like the sizzle that that pedal brings. :( IIRC, even diming the treble on the line6 comp or the amp didn't have the same effect.

The only way I can keep the blue comp treb without feedback at high volume is if I turn down the Zinput to 22k. But when I do that, I lose the sizzle as well.

I get the feedback with both inputs set to guitar or one set to variax...and the feedback happens on more than one guitar.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Note, the feedback doesn't happen at low to mid volumes. But at gigging volumes, it does.

I believe the amp gain is about 60ish and the tubescreamer gain was about 80.

• Upvote 1

The gate(both noise and hard) cut the squeal, but anytime there is a stab, you'd catch the backend of the squeal.  I dunno, without it, it just doesn't feel the same under my fingers and it definitely doesn't have that sizzle that I was digging.  I'm going to keep digging...

If you want sizzle from the JCM and tube screamer, set your tubescreamer up with bass at about 75, tone at 100, and treble at 80-90.  Put gain at 20 and output at 100.

This setting makes just about every amp come alive.  Might do what you are trying to do with the comp.  I use this on all my high gain amps to push them over the top.  Try it and see if it helps.

• Upvote 2

If you want sizzle from the JCM and tube screamer, set your tubescreamer up with bass at about 75, tone at 100, and treble at 80-90.  Put gain at 20 and output at 100.

This setting makes just about every amp come alive.  Might do what you are trying to do with the comp.  I use this on all my high gain amps to push them over the top.  Try it and see if it helps.

Hey thanks for the tip, doing that brings the sizzle; took the compressor out of the chain! 

• Upvote 1

Hmm...I dropped the level on my effects return from 10db to 6db and the squeal is much less/better.  This is with zinput at 1M and the treb back in...and the alto at a scary high volume(to me).  I wonder if having the loop return so high was causing it.  My other thought is to just put the epsi after the hd500 to make life easier...

The tubescreamer tip worked for some of my patches(or close enough), but I have a grit one that I LOVE that I can't duplicate without the blue comp treb.   :(

I was fooling around with the X3 Pro and tried your screamer settings, although the screamer in the X3 only has a tone control, gain and drive. I set the gain and output at your recommndations and just went through the amps and just played. Not bad. So I recorded "Oh The Drama", LOL.

Sounds grindy! That just direct? I never record to my PC so I don't know what to expect tone wise from direct recordings. Got some good bite to it!

Thanks for the input stumblinman and thanks for all your help since you've been here, I usually practice using the X3 out the L mono into the Guitar input of a Spider Jam with just the clean (green) channel with the master at 10 oclock to keep the volume down and still be able to hear the model clearly. Using "direct" into the 'puter by way of USB I record most of my riffs going into Audacity with 96Khz 32 bit then mix down to m4a.

This was 2001 Diamond Plate Amp, but just switching to 2003 Connor 50 and many others sounded good without tweaking. When I turn master up on the Spider Jam it really sounds "Sweet Dude",

Edited by Brazzy
  • Upvote 1

I was fooling around with the X3 Pro and tried your screamer settings, although the screamer in the X3 only has a tone control, gain and drive. I set the gain and output at your recommndations and just went through the amps and just played. Not bad. So I recorded "Oh The Drama", LOL.

Nice crunch tone. I usually set my Tube screamer gain and output around those levels but never played with the bass/treble settings. I gotta try yours out!

Putting it in front of the SLO overdrive channel gives me instant brown sound with my guitar. LP with 57 classic/+.

I actually discovered it when I was trying to make a model sound similar to an Orange OR15.

Nice crunch tone. I usually set my Tube screamer gain and output around those levels but never played with the bass/treble settings. I gotta try yours out!