9 replies to this topic

#1 pheld

pheld

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:06 AM

I recently received a G90-set and couldn't get it to work, despite a helpful reseller. I was about to wrap it up and ship it back when I by accident pressed the value-button on the transmitter while holding down the select button and uncovered the RF1/RF2 toggle. The transmitter seemed to have been shipped in RF2 mode which my receiver doesn't seem to support. The user-guides don't mention this mode-toggle at all. The only place I've seen RF2 mentioned is on the sw-download pages where it is mentioned that firmware 2.00 up adds "compatibility with other RF2 devices such as the XD-V75, XD-V55 and XD-V35".

The receiver reveals some info if the set-button is pressed while turning it on. It says: "RXR12 MCU1.05 FPGA1.04". Which of these numbers is the actual firmware revision?

Can I read the firmware-revision on the TPB12 transmitter somewhere?

I prefer to keep my devices up2date with recent firmware and would like to do that to the G90 as well. It's a real pity that the firmware installation requires a XD-V75 receiver. What a waste to buy a XD-V75 just for that.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

It's a real pity that the firmware installation requires a XD-V75 receiver. What a waste to buy a XD-V75 just for that.

I agree. At first glance it does indeed look like a blatant attempt to force the purchase of more gear.

As I'm sure you agree, however, appearances are often deceptive, such as that from the Line 6 guys' having awarded me their "expert" tag, which doesn't in any way diminish the exclusivity of my loyalty to fellow users of audio equipment, nor does it grant any sort of favouritism on my part towards Line 6 or towards any other manufacturer.

I will always call it as I see it, ...so maybe you'll find that you can accept the explanation I provided when a similar comment arose a while back:

"...It's largely a matter of history.

RF1 (initially the only scheme in various Line 6 wireless models that end with a zero) has been around for years, and the original brief was only to provide gigging performers with a robust and transparent signal path that wouldn't be "trodden on" by such 2.4GHz traffic as existed back then.

The XD-V's trampling over whatever wireless devices that might turn up to the gig simply wasn't an issue in those more innocent "days of yore", and the later generation XD-V75, with its user-operable path to upgrading firmware and the availability of two "extra" channels, hadn't yet begun to occupy the minds of Line 6's development boffins.

I believe that Line 6 was pretty much alone at that time in having the foresight to then include an update port that's accessible via the back panel's guitar jack socket ...and I'd be fascinated to hear of any other manufacturer in this field that's undertaken the massive development effort required to both devise and release a retro-update path that arrived "for free" with their later model."

Regarding your other queries, here's the discussion paper covering switching from RF1 to RF2: http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2645

...and keeping the "Select" button depressed while powering "On" at your TBP12's power switch will trigger a firmware "crawl" display that's similar to the one your receiver.

The last set of numbers (as in the "FPGA1.04" you saw) denotes the firmware currently installed.

Moreover, (as you'll see from this discussion regarding the relative merits of the two frequency schemes http://line6.com/sup...84358?tstart=30) I personally favour the RF1 scheme for most circumstances, so if it was my relay receiver, I'd feel very little urgency regarding any upgrading.

Edited by RonMarton, 17 June 2013 - 02:28 PM.
Original "Value" button info was WRONG.

#3 pheld

pheld

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

[snip]

...and keeping the "Value" button depressed while powering "On" at your TBP12's power switch will trigger a firmware "crawl" display that's similar to the one your receiver.

Great info, except for a small detail; It's the select button that has to be pressed, at least on firware rev 2.0 which is the one I have in my transmitter.

Distributor and reseller both claim they haven't touched the firmware which indicate that L6 did ship this unit with firmware version 1.04 on the receiver and 2.0 on the transmitter which leaves a customer with a problem when the documentation obviously has no mention of RF mode-switching as the feature wasn't yet implemented at the time it was written.

Wrt upgrades; maybe L6 could implement some sort of USB interface that hooks to the audo-port, similar to the unit they ship with the variax guitars. 

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

All very good points IMHO, pheld...

Especially:

Great info, except for a small detail; It's the select button that has to be pressed, at least on firware rev 2.0 which is the one I have in my transmitter.

Sorry about the confusion. My mistake. (I'm pretty sure that all versions of the TBP12 are indeed "checkable" via that hold "Select" while switching on protocol, exactly as you pointed out.)

#5 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

So this is a new G90 that has V2.0 in the transmitter (which shows RF1 or RF2 on the screen during startup) and V1.04 FPGA in the receiver?  There should have been a bright green card pointing out the RF1/RF2 differences encoded in the box.

Where are you located?

#6 pheld

pheld

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

So this is a new G90 that has V2.0 in the transmitter (which shows RF1 or RF2 on the screen during startup) and V1.04 FPGA in the receiver?  There should have been a bright green card pointing out the RF1/RF2 differences encoded in the box.

Where are you located?

I'm located in Norway. My supplies has confirmed that a number of units shipped in Q2 came with this software-combination. Later units come with V2.X on both transmitter and receiver. RF1-only has worked well for me, and I haven't yet bothered to look up someone with the necessary equipment to perform an upgrade of the receiver.

#7 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

...and I haven't yet bothered to look up someone with the necessary equipment to perform an upgrade of the receiver.

...And in your position, pheld...

I may never actually bother to do so, as it's been my (now long standing) experience that the older RF1 scheme is far more robust, with RF2 only being needed (and very useful) when

1. More than twelve wireless channels are required at the one time and/or
  2. Consistent and speedy wireless networking is simultaneously required for the close proximity operation of other 2.4 GHz devices. 

#8 pheld

pheld

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

...And in your position, pheld...

I may never actually bother to do so, as it's been my (now long standing) experience that the older RF1 scheme is far more robust, with RF2 only being needed (and very useful) when

1. More than twelve wireless channels are required at the one time and/or
  2. Consistent and speedy wireless networking is simultaneously required for the close proximity operation of other 2.4 GHz devices. 

Totally agree. My complaint was primarily directed at L6 QA as quite a few of the units in question came with RF2-mode as factory-default on the transmitters, with no documentation even mentioning the existence of multiple RF-modes, leaving customers without a working link. I found the solution by chance, not everyone were that lucky, and the local distributors/resellers had no clue.

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

...and the local distributors/resellers had no clue.

Aargh !  :wacko:  :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on the subject of local representatives "killing" top quality marques, Worldwide...

It occurs to me being regarded as "small" markets that are "unimportant" (solely on the basis of both having total populations that are merely the size of those that inhabit individual cities elsewhere) is something that our two countries share ...and that prejudice really grates with me, as I'm sure it does with you.

The end result is that Line 6 forms but a fraction of the staggeringly large numbers of makers whose phenomenal products are largely rendered non-viable in my country by these deficiencies in local representation.

For instance, depending on a given potential client's actual location in my country, it's my opinion that the purchase of marques such as Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Fiat, Jeep, Land Rover, Nissan, Saab and Volkswagen (among others) can leave the buyer stranded, with NO support whatsoever, for months.

Although each of those I named have budgets many times that of Line 6, I believe that not one of them has a forum such as this to help address the problem.

You'd think that it may at least occur to them to investigate just why it is that some Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and Scandinavians (again, among others) eclipse them in Worldwide sales, wouldn't you ?    

#10 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Totally agree. My complaint was primarily directed at L6 QA as quite a few of the units in question came with RF2-mode as factory-default on the transmitters, with no documentation even mentioning the existence of multiple RF-modes

There is a big green card explaining the RF modes packed with the operation guide and warranty card. Did you not get documentation with yours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users