Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

worth upgrading?

alchemist006

I have the x3 bean and I was wondering if it was worth upgrading the unit.   I am planning on playing in a den and have no aspirations of gigging anymore.   I play iron maiden style music for the most part and some occasional bass.    I’m thinking about buying some krk rokit 6’s and connecting either the bean x3, the hd bean or the rack mountable hd.  All I do is play along to prerecorded songs or backing tracks.   I was considering the amplifi but since it’s going to always stay in the same room, it seems kind of pointless.   Seems that the x3 has more “stuff†but the hd is more quality.  Not sure if the rack mount is that much better than the bean hd or if is just more expensive because it’s mountable.  

for what you are doing the bean HD is a great update.  If you can find one, they should be at a pretty good price since they are discontinued.  Personally, I like having the floor unit so the HD500 wins but that's up to you.  The rack unit doesn't offer you much more other than ins and outs that may or may not be suitable for you.  You still need a floor pedal to affect changes.  All will work great with the Rokit 6's.

thank you for your help

wow didn't realize they were already discontinued.  wonder what's coming down the pipe...

I already have the foot pedal with the bean so that should work seamlessly.

i'm guessing the usb recording feature is the same as the bean.  using xlr outs to the rokit's and then having another connection to the soundcard of the pc should enable me to hear the guitar live and the other tracks correct?

yep, bean HD was discontinued.  Can't say for sure on your particular floorboard, you need to be certain by reading the manual for whatever you intend to buy.  USB recording works great and your tunes will play along with your guitar to the monitors from the HD.

Hey There,

If you are cranking out some Maiden (Up the Irons! btw) :) your X3 is more than up to the task. Its a dual toned full model packed XT really and can deliver some great rock/metal tones.

I have an HD500 and I do love it (after putting in some labor of love time with the manual) but the X3 is more straight forward (to me). Its a win/win no matter how you go.

Now you could get both.... hmmmmmm :ph34r:

-Bill

I agree with stumblinman - if you are just playing along to stuff at home then the X3 bean will provide just what you need. So there really is no need to upgrade.

If you are not completely satisfied with the tones you get from your X3 bean, and if you really want to upgrade to HD quality so they sound more realistic then the HD bean will achieve that BUT you may have to put in a lot of hours to program in the tone you want - it is not just plug and play.  It's your choice.

I love my HD500 and feel it is better sounding then the amp sims I was using two years ago when I bought it.

Amp sim software are also being improved and for home only use like most are modern in computing power I'd go amp sim.

There are plenty of free amps that sound very good. And there are the free impulse response loaders that you can use to give better tonality to.  

I tried alot out but at the end of the day I don't want to be tweaking all the time.

I have sonar X3 and it came with TH2. I don't use it but it have tried it out and it is good.

Also now Peavey Revalver 4 is out. I am yet to give it a try but I haven't used Revalver III for 2 yeras.

You can get the basic for free and pay for the amp paks you want

kinda like IKmulti does ; Amplitude 3 free.

If your floorboard has midi out you can make control changes on it.

There is even POD Farm which I don't have but it is free if you have the hardware dondle.

When you get down to it the HD PODs, Axe FX and even the Kempers are all computers that house the simulated or modeled or profiled hardware. They are robust and designed to go on the road.

If you are not going on the road use you could use a computer.

I have the x3 bean and I was wondering if it was worth upgrading the unit.   I am planning on playing in a den and have no aspirations of gigging anymore.   I play iron maiden style music for the most part and some occasional bass.    I’m thinking about buying some krk rokit 6’s and connecting either the bean x3, the hd bean or the rack mountable hd.  All I do is play along to prerecorded songs or backing tracks.   I was considering the amplifi but since it’s going to always stay in the same room, it seems kind of pointless.   Seems that the x3 has more “stuff†but the hd is more quality.  Not sure if the rack mount is that much better than the bean hd or if is just more expensive because it’s mountable.  

I have POD Farm which is X3 in software form. From what I've heard, it's 1000 times better in my opinion. I don't use POD Farm because I have, IN MY OPINION better software modelers at my disposal besides POD Farm.

Modeling has made huge breakthroughs this past 5-8 years and I think POD HD is Line 6's next gen modeler for sure, and it really does stack up well to the current modelers out there.

• 2 weeks later...