Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

dual amp question...how does it really work?

alphadog808

Hey guys,

For a while now I've been ignoring the fact that you can use dual amps as I figured I had enough issues/problems getting good tones with one amp.  :)  

I recently revisited it the other day and noticed that you can get some really nice unique tones with dual amps. 

What I've been doing is adding a second amp but at a much lower gain.  What I notice is that separately, the amps don't sound that great/different, but together, it has some synergy that I can't get with just one amp.  Kinda cool.  Not sure why/how this all works...

Does anyone have any tips on working with dual amps?  Also, I assume the mixer will merge the amp tones together?  I ask as I only use signal from one output. 

the mixer only does what you tell it to do.  If you keep them panned 100% left and right they stay separate into the post effects section.  Depending on what you put there, they either stay separate with stereo effects or are blended 50/50 with a mono effect.  You are only using one output?  If it is a 1/4 out then both channels are being mixed to mono for the output.  If you are only using one XLR you will only get that one channel since they do not mix to mono.

I like using dual amps with different amps and also same amp with different cabs or mics.  Very effective and can give a nice full tone especially in a stereo rig or to the PA.  For live use to PA you would not want to stay 100/100 pan but maybe 50-34 left and right to ensure both sides of the house hear both channels.

Remember that if you set up dual amps you will either have to set your inputs to Guitar/Variax and Same or place a mono block like a noise gate first to feed input 1 to both amps.

It uses a lot of DSP but also forces me to be more disciplined in my use of FX blocks...

• Upvote 1

Thanks Rad, I appreciated it.  It's weird, adding that second amp makes my single amp patch sounds more...organic or something.  I guess what really blows my mind is that apart, they don't seem like anything special.  In fact, in one patch I have, separately, both tones are pretty thin.  But together, it gets pretty fat!  What is confusing is I'm not sure what the formula is so it's been alot of trial and error between different amps, some pre, some not, etc.  And that's before changing any of the amp settings!  So much freedom on this system, but at the same time, so much rope to hang yourself with...

One thing to be aware of with dual amps is that there exists an unwanted comb-filter type effect. It is very subtle and most of the time inaudible. But at times it can be heard. Meambobbo's guide has some info about this and also some things you can do to try an avoid it.

I think a lot of it has to do with phase cancellation. If the amps sound too similar the combined waveforms will cancel each other out and sound very thin. Your best results will be to use two different amps with different effects and levels of drive. AC/DC is a great example of two guitars that alone are very clean, but when combined they sound like a huge wall of guitars.

I use dual amps all the time with little to no problems.  If you think you might have a phase issue due to a weak, thin sound, place a vintage pre in front of one of the amps and change the phase from 0 to 180.  You will know right away if that is the issue.  

You can use the same amp in both channels, just use different cabs or mics to complement each other.  Try panning them towards center, not 100.  Try 34 to 50 each side instead.