Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L3t, RP1000, live setting

Hi, I've got today the L3t speaker. I have a Digitech RP1000 and in combination it sounds great. 

Here my question: Having the RP1000 (which is similar to a POD500) what is the best setup for a gig ?

RP1000 --> Mixer --> and using the l3t as monitor

or

RP1000 --> L3t input --> L3t output ---> Mixer

If I go first in the l3t and then in the mixer, does the L3t transmit the settings (mode, eq etc) to the mixer?

Or shall I mic it like a normal guitar amp?

Does somebody know?

Thks in advance

Markus

Hi, I've got today the L3t speaker. I have a Digitech RP1000 and in combination it sounds great.

Here my question: Having the RP1000 (which is similar to a POD500) what is the best setup for a gig ?

RP1000 --> Mixer --> and using the l3t as monitor

or

RP1000 --> L3t input --> L3t output ---> Mixer

If I go first in the l3t and then in the mixer, does the L3t transmit the settings (mode, eq etc) to the mixer?

Or shall I mic it like a normal guitar amp?

Does somebody know?

Thks in advance

Markus

I just looked on the back of my L3T and the balanced out is marked Mix Out. I haven't tried it, but I'm fairly certain that it's a post EQ/mixer/effect out. I wouldn't think that putting a mic in front of the speaker would be a good idea as there's a tweeter in there somewhere that won't be picked up by the mic. To simplify do the rp1000--->L3T--->mixer

Not familiar with your RP1000 but if a guitarist turned up with one to use with my rig, I'd:

Run either mono or stereo XLR outs to the M20d AND run a 1/4 TS jack to the players own L3t, assuming you can use both the XLR and jack outs simultaneously.

Ideally, I'd want the raw output from the pedal board at the desk, unaffected by anything going off on the performer's L3T

Ok, finally went to the rehearsal room and tried it out.

rp1000 via XLR stereo direct into the mixer (m20d). After a bit of tweaking sounded really great. So good that I did not even try to go via the l3t (because I would loose the stereo option). The l3t I will use as kind of stage monitor for me directly as suggested by SiWatt69 or via the mixer. I don't know yet.  But overall I was really surprised how good it sounded going directly into the p/a via the mixer. It sounded so good that now our lead guitarist which had a traditional setup (tube amp-->mic) is thinking of going also directly into the mixer. I think there is a big advantage of everybody going directly in the pa. We will be hearing each other better which will help to play less loud. What Jason6String said is true: You give up the control over your volume. On the other hand this was also a bit of the problem. That during rehearsal we were getting louder and louder because each member was increasing the volume.

Good to hear that way is working for you! I'm using the hd500x and JTV guitar (alternate dream rig) so the EQ modes on the L3T are important for me, electric setting for electric and acoustic setting for acoustic. Those modes really bring out the character of the amp/acoustic sims in a live setting. While the RP1000 can't change those modes automatically, I think they would still benefit anything plugged into it. And you lose that ability going into the mixer first.

There's nothing worse than a guitarist arms race tho! You'll win by the way, 1400 watts will rattle the fillings out of your teeth!