Photo

Headset Microphones Compatible With Xd-v75 System?

xd-v75 v75-bp headset mic compatible

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tangierc

tangierc

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

I am looking for headsets that are compatible with the XD-V75 system.  Is there a compatibility chart anywhere?  I am looking for a headset more like a countryman or one with a short boom like the  audio technica BP893c-TH MicroEarset.  I just heard about a company today called MM audio, and also dpa d:fine.

The person I need to get this for doesn't like the style of headset that comes with the XD-V75 so I need something else.

#2 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5268 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

The V75 bodypack has a mini-XLR TA4 input, and that's kind of the industry standard for headset mics. The Countryman shouldl work fine with it.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

The person I need to get this for doesn't like the style of headset that comes with the XD-V75 so I need something else.

It's that person's "intended application" or "role" that's absolutely critical here, tangierc...

My personal favourite for spoken word applications, (of which I own twelve that I regularly use with my eight Line 6 beltpacks, four being permanently double-windsocked for outdoors) is the Samson SE50: http://www.amazon.co...rds=Samson se50

In common with the (roughly 25% dearer) BP893cT4-TH that you mentioned, it's omnidirectional, a type of headworn mic that is (for a variety of reasons) almost non-viable for sung vocal applications, as Audio-Technica themselves "hint" in the following sales pitch: "The combination of stellar sound quality and functional design makes the Audio-Technica BP893cT4-TH ideal for theater productions, worship sound, and public speaking."

For singers, then, we need directional TA4F-equipped headworns, such as those from the Countryman, MM Audio and DPA catalogs that you've mentioned.

Beyerdynamic also have both omni and directional (very fine sounding) headset mics in their TG "Tour Group" range, (which should work with our beltpacks) but I suspect that your "client" may have the same objections to those as to the far cheaper offerings from Line 6.

http://www.thomann.d...tqg_stecker.htm

As for DPAs, while I really love the d:fine's natural sound, I've had quite a few ruggedness problems (over the years) with their microdot connection system that's at one end of the eye-wateringly expensive DAD6010 adapter that's required for use with our beltpacks.

Also, as you'll see in this excellent (if slightly dated) document from Dan Cornett http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2252 there's no guarantee that other accommodations won't need to be made regarding some DPA models.

#4 tangierc

tangierc

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thanks. This is for a pastor in a church setting. Any phantom power concerns I need to think about?

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Any phantom power concerns I need to think about?

No. (Nor are there many others...) :)

There's no "phantom power" involved, that being the 10 to 50v DC scheme for driving balanced mics in a way that's "invisible" to them. The TA4M connector built into our beltpacks does, however, provide a polarising voltage in a way that suits the majority of powered headworn mics on the market.

This is for a pastor in a church setting.

My (half century of) showbiz audio experience leads me to think that, given this application, it would be very hard to improve on Line 6's inbuilt speech filtering being "tailored" to your acoustics in tandem with a Samson SE50, almost regardless of any additional money that might be spent:

http://www.sweetwate...detail/SE50tan/

http://www.bhphotovi...Microphone.html

The SE50 also boasts some of the cheapest and most readily available (albeit least often needed) spare parts:

http://www.bhphotovi..._Cable_for.html

http://www.sweetwate...etail/SAEC50TL/

#6 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thank you Ron for this very documented post. I bought recently an xdv75 set, but for vocal application. I realized at the first trial this it is COMPLETLY FORBIDEN FOR STAGE USE WITH MONITORS . I have the choice between in ear monitors or directional mic. Beyer seems to be provide cheap model, is it a good alternste solution? Is there a LINE6 equivalent model ?

#7 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Unfortunately, Pierre...

Line 6's only directional headset (their HS 30, part number 98-033-0027) would need fiddly replacement of its guitar jack plug with a TA4F connector for it to work with a V75 or TBP12 beltpack.

Also, while we'd really love to hear how this Beyerdynamic cardioid headset mic http://www.thomann.d...tqg_stecker.htm sounds with our beltpacks, (I think that it should work really well) I know of nobody who has actually tried it yet. So it would be wonderful if you could "try before you buy" and post the results.

I'm led to believe that the Shure PG 30 condenser headset http://www.thomann.d...shure_pg_30.htm is compatible, as is the cheapest directional option that I know, the t.bone HC 95 dynamic mic http://www.thomann.d...tbone_hc_95.htm, ...but I would not expect either of those to deliver quality that's in the same league as the smooth sound I'm expecting to arrive from a Beyerdynamic Opus 54.18.

Incidentally, I am using Thomann's catalogue (as I do with listings from other worldwide suppliers) solely to give an indication of prices in your region.

As I quite often say, I have neither affiliation with, nor particular loyalty to any supplier or manufacturer. 

#8 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thank you Ron. I will discuss with Thoman the possible replacement of the XDV 75 by the Beyer and... post a report

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

...I will discuss with Thoman the possible replacement of the XDV 75 by the Beyer...

Sorry, Pierre, my friend...

I did not understand that you already have the Line 6 HS70T omnidirectional that comes with the XD-V75HS.

Thomann only quote 2 Euro less for the Beyer, so a "one for one" changeover should be easy, ...BUT, if it was my XD-V75HS, I would probably try to find money for the extra in order to

1. Own an extra "emergency" headset microphone and
  2. Have the option of a "less visible" omnidirectional headset should I need one for a "speaking" job.

Just a thought.

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Oh, ...also first make certain that they will refund for the Beyer Opus 54.18, if for some reason you do not find it suitable.

They are a reputable dealer, so this should not be a problem, with the usual caveat that you must return it in "new condition" with all the original packing.

We look forward to your report. 

#11 tangierc

tangierc

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

I ended up purchasing the XD-V75 system without any mic, the V75-HHTX Handset (backup mic) , the Audio Technica BP893c micro earset as the primary.  We'll see how it goes.

#12 tangierc

tangierc

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Per another posting you helped me out with (http://line6.com/sup...-please-advise/)

The pastor loves the form factor of the Audio Technica BP893 and wants to keep it rather than return it.  Frankly I have hopes of being able to still use it when we move to our permanent space soon (hopefully with built in A/C).  I know it's not working for us now, but these are used in situations where people are getting good sound such as theater right?  So it must be just us and our setup/equipment wreaking havoc on this little mic.

That being said as an interim he'd like to get something like the Countryman and I was wondering if you knew anything about the brand AVTronics (http://www.kingdom.c...ent=SummerSale4)

for a comparable headset?  The cost is so low comparatively that I'm a bit nervous; both the headset and the wireless hand mics for a few choir singers.  I was going to possibly go with AKG for them.

#13 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

...I was wondering if you knew anything about the brand AVTronics for a comparable headset?  The cost is so low comparatively that I'm a bit nervous...

No matter how cheap they are, nor how well they might or might not actually sound...

Those AVTronics "copies" of your pastor's beloved BP893 are still omnidirectional, so (at best, in common with anybody's omnidirectional offerings) they'll give you the same feedback "grief" that largely prompted your other post.

...The pastor loves the form factor of the Audio-Technica BP893 and wants to keep it rather than return it.  Frankly I have hopes of being able to still use it when we move to our permanent space soon...

I'm no gambler, but I reckon it's a fair bet that money's as tight for you as it is for the rest of us, so I feel that the absolute "best bet" would be for you to keep yours in your pocket by convincing your pastor to spread The Word with his hand mic until you move to the better venue. Otherwise the directional Countryman is the only, albeit expensive, option.

...Frankly I have hopes of being able to still use it when we move to our permanent space soon (hopefully with built in A/C).  I know it's not working for us now, but these [omnidirectional mics] are used in situations where people are getting good sound such as theater right?  So it must be just us and our setup/equipment wreaking havoc on this little mic...

Your instincts are exactly right ...and I for one regularly use my eight Samson SE50 headworn omnidirectionals (as mentioned earlier in this post) with my Line 6 XD-V beltpacks for worship, conference and all sorts of other "spoken word" applications.

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

http://www.bhphotovi...Microphone.html

Think of the Samson SE50 as an Audio-Technica BP893 that's not only far more comfortable and stays in place far better, (no sticking plaster required) but also puts roughly fifty bucks back in your pocket. ...with the added bonuses of having adapters included for most other beltpacks and far cheaper spares readily available. (So perhaps BH may credit your returned BP893 against the purchase of an SE50 and maybe a few other A/V accessories ?)

Loudspeaker placement and other acoustic controls are the absolute "keys" to using omnidirectionals in his way, having their "performance space" as far "behind" or otherwise "outside" the dispersion from correctly placed directional loudspeaker arrays being the starting point.

You should begin that planning for your next venue at the earliest opportunity, so feel free to get back to us with sketches, proposed loudspeaker model numbers and so on if you feel we can help.

#14 kmulvihill

kmulvihill

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Slightly off topic to but may be of interest to others. I have a studio in a bedroom of about 10 x 12 feet, and in it I have an L3S and 2 L3Ms. I run a PD HD Pro through an M20D and sync all with the L6 cable. I also have an XD-75 and, like one of the posters above, found out quickly that even the M20D's feedback suppression circuit wasn't nearly enough to prevent the troublesome feedback sound. So I ordered both the Countryman and the Crown headset from Amazon. I really, really liked the Countryman form factor and was so hoping it would work - but, alas, no matter the settings I used, I wasn't able to prevent feedback in that tightly confined room. OTOH, the Crown worked great - flawlessly in fact. It's just hard to get the right fit with the Crown and I don't find it particularly comfortable. But no feedback at least.

Also worth noting I'm singing through this and not speaking through it as a pastor would. Nonetheless, hope it's helpful to others looking for a solution to a similar problem.

Kevin

#15 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

HI Kevin

I'm in the same situation as you.  In a very small room like yours (ours) it is very difficult to get much level without feedback ... especially if you have a 8 or 10 foot ceiling.  The feedback management system in the M20d will improve the situation about 6 dB in this case, but there will always be a limit to what it can do.

I too have both a Countryman IsoMax mic and  Crown CM311a and like you I prefer working with the Countryman ... but the Crown is a clear winner in difficult situations.  I am a drummer and the Crown is the only mic I know of that keeps my drums out of my vocals.  I wish it was easier to keep in position  however.

#16 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

As planed end of June, I ordered a cardioid headset mic from Beyerdynamic( TG H54c Tan, condenser headset microphone) to replace the omnidirectionnal Line 6 mic provided with XDV75.
I was out for several weeks, then I tested it yesterday only. Bad news : despite the fact that that the mini XLR IS FITTING well into the LINE6 pocket transmitter connector, NO SOUND. As if the connectors were cabled differently or so...then which alternate solution do I have?
- buy the suitable transmitter : expansive solution and I have to check which one is suitable
- buy a wired adaptor : wich one? I have to document, any suggestion?
- check how are different the mini XLR connections and may be adapt it by myself..? Any suggestions
- send back the device to the supplier and find another device or solution

#17 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

My fault, Pierre...

I completely forgot to mention this earlier, as it's been some time since I have "mucked around" with Beyerdynamic wireless gear. Also, I guess long practice has made me a bit too "casual" about this sort of wiring.

Please accept my heartfelt apology, as I know only too well how upsetting this must have been for you.

...then which alternate solution do I have?

...check how are different the mini XLR connections and may be adapt it by myself..? Any suggestions

The good news is that you are exactly right in suspecting that Beyerdynamic have a different wiring scheme inside their identical TA4 "mini XL" connectors.

It is actually quite an easy re-soldering job, but a bit of care needs to be taken with a small-tipped soldering iron ...and I find that it is much easier to use a mating connector (often the beltpack itself) as a "jig" or "holder" throughout the "operation", by having the connector that is being re-wired plugged into it during the re-soldering.

Here's how:

1. The outer "shield" or "GND" wire should go (naturally) to pin 1 of the connector.
  2. Take the "bias volts" wire that Beyer have connected to pin 4 and connect it to pin 2 instead.
  3. The "signal hot" wire that is already connected to pin 3 should then also be "shorted" to pin 4 as well. 

If you are not confident about doing this yourself, I am fairly sure that it should not be too difficult to find a hobbyist "friend" who can do this for you.

It will probably take her or him less than ten minutes.

Please get back to us with how you find the actual sound and comfort of the final result.

#18 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thank you very much, Ron for your very fast comment. Dońt worry, I was not at all that upset. I will proceed to the alternate cabling without stress. The LINE6 cable assignation is similar to the Shure one. And I will test and comment very soon.
I also re-tried to use the LINE6 omni with the help of a professionnal sound engineer on stage with monitors in a difficult reverbering show room. We had to define with the parametric large highcut and low pass paramtric filters and at least 3 pretty frequence suppressions. He concluded that I had to use in ear monitor or replace my mic by some cardioid...then I will test and send a report.
Pierre

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xd-v75, v75-bp, headset, mic, compatible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users