Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M5 overdrive/distortion models' output way too hot

satellitedog

Hello all, I think this is my first post, so thanks for the opportunity!

I am very fond of my M5, and I want to buy the M9, as I think it's a fantastic concept and the quality is well worth the price, but I have one problem I'd like to find a solution to.

The overdrive/distortion modelling section is pretty good, I wasn't expecting wanting to use many of the models, but I really like the Fuzz Face style model (haven't compared to an original) and actually many others.

Problem is I tend to play at neighbour friendly volumes, and the factory output levels are super hot, and way out of proportion with the rest of the models, so I have to mute my guitar while browsing the models, as the output resets to factory settings with each new model, which is quite annoying.

Is there a way to keep the output levels down? I have no expression pedal for the  M5 yet, would that work as a volume pedal with the distortion section?

Thanks for reading, and any helpful answers.

SD

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem. It's pretty ridiculous how loud they are on my unit. Like 10x factor louder. I have to set the drive and level knobs to practically nothing, then it creates all sorts of other weird volume changes when I layer on additional effects.

• 1 month later...

With the bigger models, you could set up the volume pedal model in one slot, and then feed the drives into it. That way the volume pedal can act like a master volume because it basically REDUCES volume only. So put on a drive at the default volume, then adjust the volume pedal model to the level you want. Then as you scroll through the other drive models, even though their defaults are really loud, you're choking them off with the volume pedal model and it will keep them in line. This is not an option with the M5 though so the only answer is to turn your amp way down as you run through the models.

One of the reasons the volumes go so high is Line 6 is of the belief that most people want to use any drive models to hit an amp harder causing the amp itself to produce overdrive, like you might with a traditional overdrive pedal like a Tube Screamer. So they give you more than enough volume on tap to do this.

In fact, it's really too much - some of the models if you want to set the gain on it high, don't go quiet enough (or you're so low on the knob you can't get it accurate even with the "fine tuning"). I wish it was more in balance - there are plenty of clean boost options there (of course, that wouldn't help an M5 user so there's another reason it makes sense to have that gain on tap in the model).

• Upvote 1