aeugle

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

The tones are different.

'Using pre models does not automatically turn off cabinet and mic simulation.

There is no statement from L6 and from the expert what exactly matches the DT25. 

#22 ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Good to know... The reason I wanted to go MIDI was not to use any of the effects on the HD500.. so unless I grab one real cheap I will probably go with the PEAK MIDI pedal...

This actually explains it pretty well, in a far more succinct manner - regarding how the analog switches are controlled by the POD, and what types of power amp switching is available. I didn't realize there was a feature on the DT50, that is not offered on the DT25 for instance :

http://line6.com/dtv2update/

Variable 12AX7 Boost (DT50 only)

You can now set the 12AX7 boost per amp model. In earlier DT50 firmware versions, some amps were boosted, some were not—now you have the option to set each one however you like.

As far as MIDI goes, this is probably a good place to look:

DT25 [MIDI]:

http://line6.com/med...evA_English.pdf

DT50 [MIDI]:

http://line6.com/med...evA_English.pdf

"Searching for a distant star, Heading off to Iscandar

Leaving all we love behind, Who knows what dangers we'll find?"

#23 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14816 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

not entirely true... the feature exists on a DT25... its just solid state...

the DT50 boost is done via an additional tube.

I didn't realize there was a feature on the DT50, that is not offered on the DT25 for instance :

http://line6.com/dtv2update/

Variable 12AX7 Boost (DT50 only)

You can now set the 12AX7 boost per amp model. In earlier DT50 firmware versions, some amps were boosted, some were not—now you have the option to set each one however you like.

#24 MAP70

MAP70

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

not entirely true... the feature exists on a DT25... its just solid state...

the DT50 boost is done via an additional tube.

This is why I keep flip flopping on the DT 50 vs DT 25... I like the small footprint of the 25 to amp weight, my current Marshall is a 30th Anniversary 1x12 that weights almost 80lbs... so getting a DT50 will save only 10lbs or so (I am still on the fence of a 1x2 vs a 212 of the DT50). I would rather stay MORE tube than less tube.. but will that tube boost REALLY affect the sound that much.. I think the DT25 would be fine for gigging small bars and stuff where this is nothing on the PA but vocals...

I think the Peak MIDI is the way to go for me.... but choosing between the DT25 (head and cab) and the DT50 combo (1x2 or 212???? grr).. is my issue I think now..

Any ideas??

Mark

#25 ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

This is why I keep flip flopping on the DT 50 vs DT 25... I like the small footprint of the 25 to amp weight,  choosing between the DT25 (head and cab) and the DT50 combo (1x2 or 212???? grr).. is my issue I think now.. Any ideas??

I ended up narrowing it down to the DT25 head+cab or the DT25 1x12 combo, and went with the DT25 1x12 combo. I hadn't considered a few subtle details, that ultimately led me to the decision I made.

1.) Closed back or open back? The head+cab is a CLOSED back extension cabinet. The combo is OPEN back. Also, the extension cabinet can be added to the 1x12 combo for more speakers / volume, etc, thus pairing the open back sound with the closed back sound.

2.) Speakers: if you want the DT50, the options get interesting with the 2x12, because it's two different types of speakers. [DT50 212:-1x12" Celestion® custom G12H90 speaker; -1x12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker]

3.) as you mentioned, the weight! The DT25 1x12 is heavy, but not terrible. I remember my old band, the guy had a monster Egnater. Heaviest combo amp I've ever had to lift. I could barely pick this thing up. And I used to mess up my back lifting my bass gear. Heavy amps, if you have to lug them around yourself, can be brutal on your vertebrae.

4.) and in terms of the actual tubes, I don't know enough to describe why this matters (of if it does at all), but the DT50 uses EL34's and the DT25 uses EL84's

5.) design and look- the tone controls, volume, etc on the DT25 combo 1x12 are on the top of the amp. The DT50's and the head all have the controls on the front face.

Personally, now that I have one DT25, I want another one! so I can run the stereo rig using the L6Link from the HD500.

"Searching for a distant star, Heading off to Iscandar

Leaving all we love behind, Who knows what dangers we'll find?"

#26 MAP70

MAP70

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

I ended up narrowing it down to the DT25 head+cab or the DT25 1x12 combo, and went with the DT25 1x12 combo. I hadn't considered a few subtle details, that ultimately led me to the decision I made.

1.) Closed back or open back? The head+cab is a CLOSED back extension cabinet. The combo is OPEN back. Also, the extension cabinet can be added to the 1x12 combo for more speakers / volume, etc, thus pairing the open back sound with the closed back sound.

2.) Speakers: if you want the DT50, the options get interesting with the 2x12, because it's two different types of speakers. [DT50 212:-1x12" Celestion® custom G12H90 speaker; -1x12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker]

3.) as you mentioned, the weight! The DT25 1x12 is heavy, but not terrible. I remember my old band, the guy had a monster Egnater. Heaviest combo amp I've ever had to lift. I could barely pick this thing up. And I used to mess up my back lifting my bass gear. Heavy amps, if you have to lug them around yourself, can be brutal on your vertebrae.

4.) and in terms of the actual tubes, I don't know enough to describe why this matters (of if it does at all), but the DT50 uses EL34's and the DT25 uses EL84's

5.) design and look- the tone controls, volume, etc on the DT25 combo 1x12 are on the top of the amp. The DT50's and the head all have the controls on the front face.

Personally, now that I have one DT25, I want another one! so I can run the stereo rig using the L6Link from the HD500.

I too was wondering about the open/closed back situation with the combo or head. I do like controls on the front and not on top, much easier when playing out.. At home it's not much of an issue..

As far as tubes go:

EL-84: are more upper mid focused tubes. EL-84s break up much quicker than EL-34s and they have more of a compressed and spongier sort of feel. Small bottle, low wattage, easy breakup, bright, chimey. 1 pair =15-20watts.

EL-34: are big tubes with a lot of volume and a lot of headroom. Harder to breakup at lower volumes. Big bottle, more headroom, more bass, more thick mid voicing, warm. 1 pair=40-60watts

So the EL-84 is not necessarily a bad choice. they will breakup quicker and give you more of that power stage breakup.. I know my Marshall which is 100W in a 1x12 and takes a fair amount of volume (sometimes too much, if that is possible) to break up. 

The DT-25 Head and Cabinet make it easier to transport I would think... I wish they did an open back extension cab as well. A closed-back cab will yield a punchier, more mid-range structured tone with crisp projection and definition, and open-back cabs will provide a more organic sound with greater ambiance.

Have you gigged out with the DT25?? If so, how was the amount of power on tap, headroom in cleans would be the only thing I could think could be an issue..

Thanks

Mark

#27 talwilkins

talwilkins

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

I think the DT25 would be fine for gigging small bars and stuff where this is nothing on the PA but vocals...

The DT-25 Works fine fore larger stages as well.

Everything gets miked and It's loud enough for on stage monitoring.

In my experience anyway.

Music is the best (FZ)

the Zombywoof

#28 MAP70

MAP70

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

The DT-25 Works fine fore larger stages as well.

Everything gets miked and It's loud enough for on stage monitoring.

In my experience anyway.

'

Sounds like it's the DT25 for me.. now just have to decide between combo and head + cab versions...

Mark

#29 geppert

geppert

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationRetirementville, Canada

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Personally I much prefer the head/cab version. The closed back cab is so much "tighter", plus you get the bonus of breaking up the weight. I also (eventually) ended up with with 2 cabs. The stack of 2 cabs plus head is really nice especially if you use a beam blocker in at least one cab.

#30 MAP70

MAP70

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Personally I much prefer the head/cab version. The closed back cab is so much "tighter", plus you get the bonus of breaking up the weight. I also (eventually) ended up with with 2 cabs. The stack of 2 cabs plus head is really nice especially if you use a beam blocker in at least one cab.

I am still going back and forth between the DT25 head+cab and a DT50 1x12 and a 2x12 extra cab (from another manufacturer)... its a hard decision...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dt25 hd500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users