Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strange Fizzy Sound Underlying All Patches

jamiepettersen

Hey everyone,

I've had my POD HD500X for just over a year now, and until now, I've been really happy with it. The problem is, over the last week or so all my clean and distorted, direct/studio AND straight-to-amp patches all have a horrible fizzy sound to them. It sounds like digital clipping, but I've gain-staged all my patches well and set up my inputs and outputs how they're supposed to be. I just updated the latest Firmware as of today (The one that fixed the tuner problem), but there is still no change.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, did you manage to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance!

The usual suspect is having Input 1 and Input 2 set to the same. This can overload the input, so most people set Input 1 to Guitar, and Input 2 to Aux or Vairax to eliminate the issue. Have you also tried changing the Input Pad (by the Volume pedal) to see if that has an affect on your tone?

• 3 weeks later...

Disable the cab in the patch and in your DAW use the "Torpedo Wall Of Sound" plugin for cab modeling and\or poweramp modeling. As an alternative use LeCab with other IRs. The problem, as you may guess, is the cab emulation in the POD...

Hey everyone,

I've had my POD HD500X for just over a year now, and until now, I've been really happy with it. The problem is, over the last week or so all my clean and distorted, direct/studio AND straight-to-amp patches all have a horrible fizzy sound to them. It sounds like digital clipping, but I've gain-staged all my patches well and set up my inputs and outputs how they're supposed to be. I just updated the latest Firmware as of today (The one that fixed the tuner problem), but there is still no change.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, did you manage to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance!

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#input

check this guide out pls.

I believe with this guide you can improve your sound.

I wouldn't say that the cab emulation is causing the fizziness but I, too, use Torpedo Wall of Sound and the difference in quality far exceeds anything I get with the onboard cabs in HD500. The affordability of Torpedo is another factor for picking up the Torpedo Wall of Sound plugin.

I disagree with your statement above..

the only real problem (solvable) is the lack of experience, both with the real things and the modeled ones..

please explain why there are people who get really good sounds and others do not

Because they like different distortion sounds maybe. I think it's the difference from "pretty good" to "great"

today I changed to studio/direct setting when I connected pod to the computer with usb cable and fizzy sound gone.

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/line-6-pod-hd500x-tips-inputs-and-outputs/

Well yes, the cabinets are about bypassed on any mode other than Studio/Direct

A Cabinet will roll off high ends which is way too harsh after distortion. It's basically a square wave without a cabinet.

Any other mode will still use a cabinet simulator but basically a voicing option for your actual cab, not a full on cabinet simulator.

Try to get to know the ins and outs of your pod more. It's not that hard.

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I had a similar problem since I bought my HD500X. Today I managed to solve the problem and finally killed the disturbing hum from the upper-mid range.

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but I think my solution will work on every guitar (maybe you sould use other Guitar In-Z's described here).

Step 1: Listen to this product test video, type to YT: "Line 6 POD HD All the Amp Models"

Step 2: Find the "Blackface Double Vibrato" AMP at 0:40, your guitar should sound exactly the same as here later! If your sound is distorted you will have to set the pick-up height.

Step 3: Select "Blackface Double Vib" AMP on the board. There should be nothing else in the chain.

Step 4: Go to the "Guitar In-Z" settings, it's at the upper left corner in the software.

Step 5: Switch from "Auto" to "22k".

Step 6: You have to set the pick-up height on your guitar with a screwdriver. Set the pick-ups away from the strings until all the distorsions disapper.  If you have more pick-ups you will have to repeat it on each. I tested my sound with a G and D chord because the humming was the strongest by those.

Step 7: Its up to you, but If you use distorsion/overdrive tones more often (as I do) I found that setting the "Guitar In-Z" to "32k" will enhance the distorsion sounds on other AMPS. In the end, I used the same method described here (with Blackface Vib etc.) and set up my guitar to 32k.

Oh 1 more thought: I used 22k and 32k because I couldn't lower my pick-ups anymore at higher Z's to get clean sound.

Good luck and be careful with the settings!