Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Repacment piezos - Graph Tech or standards?

My Variax 500 has been acting up a bit lately where it seems to want to retune it self it sits up for a bit. Along with some other strangeness from time to time. I'm gonna be looking to take it to repair shop to have it checked out soon. When I do unless they tell me something is really wrong, I'm probably gonna have them replace the piezos on it while it's there. I've read quite a few that went to the Graph Tech ghost ones Are they really better than repacment stock ones? 

Just wondering if they are worth the cost of replacing?

They sound different.  A bit darker than the originals I think on mine.  Better - far better given that they are properly grounded without relying on bridge contact.  I would expect to pay a fairly high labor charge to have someone install them on a 500 based on how much work it was for me to install them on mine.  Took me most of an evening and it's not for one who is not experienced in soldering or lacks the proper tools to do it.  I had to adjust the string volumes down to about 50% to keep from overdriving the electronics.