Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphone adapter for POD HD500x

Metallpt147

hey guys just wondering what kind of headphone adapter am I supposed to be using? i have a sony one (not sure what size it is) but for some reason when i connect it into my PHONES input, i have to leave some of the adapter out, meaning that if i push the adapter all the way in the sound waaaaay to low and when i have it popped out maybe 1/2 a centimeter it sounds perfect..is there a reason for this? anybody else have this "issue"?

post-1995976-0-90273500-1412755804_thumb.jpg

hey guys just wondering what kind of headphone adapter am I supposed to be using? i have a sony one (not sure what size it is) but for some reason when i connect it into my PHONES input, i have to leave some of the adapter out, meaning that if i push the adapter all the way in the sound waaaaay to low and when i have it popped out maybe 1/2 a centimeter it sounds perfect..is there a reason for this? anybody else have this "issue"?

Hmmmm, interesting I've never run into this one. Although I know to never just force things, did you have to push with a little more force to get it all the way in?

Well I went to guitar center and asked one of the guys there if there were any other types of adapters and he said "no I don't think so" and I explained this same situation to him n he said "hmm that's weird"..and no I don't have to force it in it goes all the way in normally but I can only hear a normal sound when it's out...are there any adapters that have only one of those black "bands" on them? He said it might be the actual connection inside the pod but I don't think that's correct

To the person that said to use a washer (sorry I'm replying from my phone can't see the name), how or where would I go about putting the washer?

Its all good Brazz! I'm just happy its the male end and not the female - being all proper and such the measurements may get tricky  :rolleyes:

The jack length for the headphones should be the same as the guitar cable jack.

-B

• Upvote 1

Its all good Brazz! I'm just happy its the male end and not the female - being all proper and such the measurements may get tricky  :rolleyes:

The jack length for the headphones should be the same as the guitar cable jack.

-B

After rereading these posts I really got good laugh, thanks BB. I knew there was a reason why I brief these threads, lol.

Anyway here's my measurements......don't be embarrased now, Hahhaaa.

Just by comparing the two it looks like your sony adapter is wrong for these Line 6 devices.

Stereo%20Jack.jpg?psid=1

Are you using iPhone ear buds (the ones with three rings around the 1/8" jack)? If so, the reason the volume is so low is because you're hearing only the L/R difference channel.

This exact thing happened to me on Monday night—my Fostex T40s died, and the only closed-back headphones we had in the studio were iPhone ear buds. Didn't work.

That Sony adapter should work with any pair of headphones with TRS connectors, although it may not physically fit, because there's a sleeve.

Well the problem isn't the headphones fitting into the adapter or the Sony adapter fitting into the pod...it's that I have to not go "balls deep" into the pod with the adapter and leave some of it out (but more than just the tip as well) lol..if anything I would say I put like 3/4 of the adapter in the pod and it sounds fine just when I put it in all the way is when the staticky sound starts...btw some of these posts were hilarious ha

I have 3 or 4 different headphone adapters, and they all do this. Sometimes I have to have the actual adapter slightly out of the headphone jack on the POD, and sometimes I have to have the 1/8" headphone plug slightly out of the female end of the adapter.

There are many variations of this kind of connector some of which you will never see. You can take a piece of 1/4 inch rubber hose (like fuel line) and cut it to the proper length slide it on there and glue or tape around the jack 'till it fits snug, you may get lucky and it just might fit snug enough that it will stay there. Wala problem solved.

Brazzy, do you remember where you purchased your gold colored adapter, or who makes it? I've purchased some from Amazon, from ebay, and from Radio Shack and have yet to find one that works correctly when I plug it in all of the way.

Brazzy, do you remember where you purchased your gold colored adapter, or who makes it? I've purchased some from Amazon, from ebay, and from Radio Shack and have yet to find one that works correctly when I plug it in all of the way.

The one shown came with a set of Bose around ear headphones from 2008. An extension cable and that adapter was included. I have a few other ones that work that have the black plastic. I was trying to find it for you online but all I could come up with was from  (KRK headphone adapter).

Here's mine. Where the 8th inch lines kind of come closer to the black bands on yours, they are more on the outside of mine.

I see that it's off a bit, I wouldn't think that would cause the problem although a jack that isn't quite right coupled with a slightly out of spec plug could. Did you say you have pull it out a little for it to work right. I know how this sounds, lol. Anyways, I think normal in/out play is about 1/16".

I see that it's off a bit, I wouldn't think that would cause the problem although a jack that isn't quite right coupled with a slightly out of spec plug could. Did you say you have pull it out a little for it to work right. I know how this sounds, lol. Anyways, I think normal in/out play is about 1/16".

Yeah, I have to leave it slightly out, but this is actually the best of the 4 or 5 that I have. But this one seems to have more of an issue on the female 1/8" side so that the headphones won't work right if they're all of the way plugged in.

I think it's kind of normal what your experiencing. You need to pull it out a little so the tip makes contact with the part that locks the plug in. Over time this locking part which is a spring steel gets loose and doesn't positively lock the tip as it should. pulling the plug out a bit makes the contact. I've had to take things apart before to bend the tip contact so that it locks the plug in better only to find out the spring steel is bad quality.

Your not going to be able to mess with the 1/8 part very easily.

Well that I don't know because on the POD I don't have anything left to right and haven't played actual music through it that has a left n right track to distinguish each other...I'll take a look at that when I get a chance..but I do believe that it is just because of my headphones having a 3 band instead of a 2 (meaning the little bands on the actual jack thrmselves)

Well that I don't know because on the POD I don't have anything left to right and haven't played actual music through it that has a left n right track to distinguish each other...I'll take a look at that when I get a chance..but I do believe that it is just because of my headphones having a 3 band instead of a 2 (meaning the little bands on the actual jack thrmselves)

If your phones have three rings, they won't work. You're hearing something akin to the L and R difference channel, and anything in the center is cancelled out. That's why everything is low in volume and reverbed out. You might be able to string multiple adapters to get those headphones working, but it's much, much better to just buy a pair of traditional headphones. Even dollar store ones.

I believe you may just have the wrong adapter. Try a new one from Radio Shack etc. You want 1/4" Male Stereo to 1/8" Female Stereo. Sounds like you got Stereo to Mono perhaps, which is possible. I have one of those as well.

All of mine are stereo to stereo. The stereo effects work fine once it's pulled out slightly.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone! I'm new on here & looking forward to everyones expertise on this matter I have. I have a POD HD500X. I need to use headphones on it but the only ones I have are bluetooth. Instead of buying a new pair with fixed cable attached, I got a transmitter to plug directly into the phone jack behind the pod, then pared up both transmitter to bluetooth headphones. I can hear a bit of crackling in the headphones when I unplug & plug back in the transmitter but no guitar. Yes I checked all of the volumes, cables, blah, blah, blah but nothing. I'm stumped here guys & I need help! Thanx Bryan

Hi everyone! I'm new on here & looking forward to everyones expertise on this matter I have. I have a POD HD500X. I need to use headphones on it but the only ones I have are bluetooth. Instead of buying a new pair with fixed cable attached, I got a transmitter to plug directly into the phone jack behind the pod, then pared up both transmitter to bluetooth headphones. I can hear a bit of crackling in the headphones when I unplug & plug back in the transmitter but no guitar. Yes I checked all of the volumes, cables, blah, blah, blah but nothing. I'm stumped here guys & I need help! Thanx Bryan

Bluetooth latency is sometimes horrible, depending on the unit in question. Even if you get it working, you may find that there's a significant delay between when you strike a note or chord, and when the sound actually arrives at your ears. Bluetooth headphones are fine for passive music listening because the latency is irrelevant...you don't even know it's there. But for this kind of application time is of the essence as it were, and a delay of much more than 20ms or so will be completely unusable.

Also, it's very likely that the frequency response of those headphones is anything but flat...not great for creating modeled guitar tones. You need some new cans.

• Upvote 2

do your bluetooth headphones and transmitter work fine when plugged to other equipment you have?

Yep, it sure does! I broke down & went & bought headphones with a fixed cable & yes it did work which is great because that means there is nothing wrong with my pod! However, when using the patches I purchased online, some of the effects made a horrible humming & buzzing sound that I didn't hear when using an amp. I have a feeling theres some sort of twerking that I'll have to look for in the pods menu area. Here we go again!!!

Bluetooth latency is sometimes horrible, depending on the unit in question. Even if you get it working, you may find that there's a significant delay between when you strike a note or chord, and when the sound actually arrives at your ears. Bluetooth headphones are fine for passive music listening because the latency is irrelevant...you don't even know it's there. But for this kind of application time is of the essence as it were, and a delay of much more than 20ms or so will be completely unusable.

Also, it's very likely that the frequency response of those headphones is anything but flat...not great for creating modeled guitar tones. You need some new cans.

Thank you brother!!! That does make for some serious sense! I did go to guitar center last night & buy some new "cans" lol, with a fixed cable of coarse & they do work, Hallelujah!!! but while using the patches I had purchased online, there was considerable amount of buzzing & humming while switching from all the different effects! I'm thinking maybe that theres possibly some tweeking on the different of the pod itself???

• 2 weeks later...

Try another 1/4"/3.5mm adapter and make sure it's TRS to TRS (not TRS to TRRS or TRS to TS). Also, try different headphones. If that doesn't work then you have a plug issue and it's ticket time.

You can use BT but both transmitter and headphones need to use a low latency codec such as AptX-LL... or you can plug your wired phones into a low latency BT receiver. AptX-LL has a 32 to 40ms lag between "strum and sound" that's imperceptible to the brain. This AptX link explains LL and lists all the BT transmitters, receivers and headphones currently incorporating the low latency codec...

https://www.aptx.com/aptx-low-latency

it's normal that listening by headphones you hear some more details (bad and/or good) compared to what you perceive from an amp at some distance in a room..

both the real amp/speaker and the surronding air/distance act as natural filters masking in part those details you clearly perceive instead by using the headphones..

personally, even if I could use the best cans in the world, for my pleasure I would always prefer the tone coming from real speakers, no doubt

Very true. However, I find the detail from a pair of decent near-field studio monitors rivals headphones, and that level of clarity definitely sharpens one's playing... But late evening practice calls for phones (or a sound-proof room) ✔ï¸