Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ignore Pedal Position During Patch Change HD500X

Crunch71

Sorry if this has been discussed. I bet it has, but I could not find anything using search.

It seems there is no option for the HD500X to ignore the expression pedal when switching patches, and only activate the pedal when it's depressed. While I can see people preferring it this way, it would be nice to have the option to ignore. Options are always good. My G-Major has this as an option.

Am I missing something and perhaps it's possible to ignore the pedal position until the pedal is moved? If not, can we get it in an update please?

If I am on a patch that uses my expression pedal as the volume, I may have the pedal all the way forward at max volume while using the patch. I now switch to a patch that uses the expression pedal to control pitch/whammy. Well, since the pedal is all the way forward when I switched patches, the pitch effect kicks in, and my sound is 2 octaves up per the pedal position. I must manually move the pedal all the way back to get no whammy effect. This is useless in a live situation, and really a pain playing at home.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the suggestion. Moving the pedal forward to go lower would be counter intuitive though. Also, I just mentioned 1 example, but there are many more I can think of.

I kind of figured this is not possible. Thankfully I use my HD500X at home only right now, and I love it for that purpose. I think not having this option is not very pro like in a live setting. Line 6, perhaps you can update via software. Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Moving the pedal forward to go lower would be counter intuitive though. Also, I just mentioned 1 example, but there are many more I can think of.

I kind of figured this is not possible. Thankfully I use my HD500X at home only right now, and I love it for that purpose. I think not having this option is not very pro like in a live setting. Line 6, perhaps you can update via software. Thanks again.

Ya, put it on the list with eq's in hz and amp models folks have been requesting for years. I'm sure you've heard the expression "wish in one hand..."

I work around this by making the expression pedal tied to the toe switch. So my presets with whammy or wah have it turned off and when I switch to the preset I click it on to start using the effect and don't need to worry about where the expression pedal was.

• Upvote 1

When using a (consistently set) Volume pedal across patches you actually want current position to be picked up instantly.  

What we perhaps want is a way to have two modes on Express Pedals one that acts as now, the other that saves the "position" and only have it move when the Expression Pedal goes through that value again

@dbagchee. Thanks for the suggestion, but I like to be able to switch a patch and not have to press anything else. Kind of the purpose of this kind of devices. Not having to the dance live.

@Rewolf48. Yup. As I mentioned, I can see how some would want the pedal to behave as it is. It would be nice to have a global option to chose whether to ignore, or not. Line 6, have a look at the TC Electronic G-Major manual. They have the option. I would think that this is possible as a software update.

@dbagchee. Thanks for the suggestion, but I like to be able to switch a patch and not have to press anything else. Kind of the purpose of this kind of devices. Not having to the dance live.

Yeah I get that - but typically you are putting your foot on the pedal anyway right? Trust me one button preset switching is critical for me since I sing and play guitar in my band but I've found this to not get in my way. But I can see certain circumstances like if you want to jump in with the whammy at a specific setting etc.

You are correct Hurghancio that there is always some trade off either way. To me though in my use ignoring the pedal is the lesser of 2 evils.

It does make a difference. Let me use my example, but this time go from a patch that has pedal set as a Whammy 2 Octaves up to a patch that has the pedal set as master volume. You are using the Whammy patch doing your best Tom Morello :) and you complete the solo with pedal in the full back position. You now switch to your rhythm patch that has the pedal set as master volume. You have no sound as the pedal is in the back position. You need push the pedal forward and there was a time where you had no sound!

Now, if you have an ignore pedal feature:

You switch from the Whammy preset into your rhythm preset with the pedal in the full back position. The rhythm preset was saved with a master volume of 95% and the pedal was ignored when you switch patches. There was no noticeable volume drop as you did not have to set the pedal forward. Yes, when you want to use the pedal in this rhythm patch for the first time to do some volume swells you will have the pedal in the full back position, and the volume will drop. To me though this is the lesser evil of 2 options.

So, I know this is not an issue for everyone. I am also just using one scenario of many possibilities. The fact is this option is available on many other devices, and it would be nice as option on the HD500 so we have a choice.

Cheers :)