Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting a Hd500x to an IPad. Help.

longhorns12

I play for my church and I am the only musician there so we run songs off of an IPad and into the soundboard. They want me to run the IPad into my 500x so I can play the songs through there and be in control of the set list. If in run it through the aux in would I be able to separate the signals so the sound man can turn my guitar up and down with out bit affecting the IPad? And vise versa. Can I run it through the midi? Or USb? Would I be able to control the music with a volume pedal on the 500x? Some of the songs tend to just cut off so I want to be able to fade the music when its about to end.

I'm confused as to how you want the two devices to interact exactly and why the church would want you to run the iPad through the HD500X. I would think you would want to keep the audio output of the two separate. If you plug the iPad into the 500X's MP3 input, it would pass the audio from the iPad through the outputs, but then you'd be controlling the volume of the two with the 500X's master volume. You could control the iPad's volume with its internal volume control still.

I just don't see any advantage. If you have an adapter to get MIDI out of the iPad, you could conceivably pass MIDI from the iPad to the 500X and have some automation, but that's something you'd have to buy extra. There's no way to directly connect the iPad to the 500X over USB right now.

• Upvote 1

The reason I would be doing that is because the sound man isn't that good at multi tasking so he couldn't run the songs, sound board, and the computer which shows the lyrics up on the screen. Would there be a way to separate the signals? Like when I run with duel amps how I can make one amp come from one side and the other amp on the other side or if I use the volume pedal would that just increase my guitar signal or would that increase both signals?

Anything you would do like that on the 500X would mean you'd have to sum the iPad's output to mono to maintain separation between it and the guitar signal. You'd still be sending two signals from the 500X to the board. Ideally, all the music being played from the iPad should be roughly the same volume, so the sound guy really shouldn't have to worry about it that much.

You could set up a dual path and run the iPad into one of the path and have it controlled by the 500X's expression pedal, but it just seems more trouble than it's worth. You'd have to adjust all of your patches. Plus I think trying to adjust the volume of the recorded music live is going to be a pain.

Yes, you can do this.

iPAD -> Aux In

Guitar -> Guitar In.

Give each one their own signal path (both of which are stereo).

Set the Mixer to Center Pan for both signal paths

Put a volume pedal in the Guitar signal path (or use the sim amp's channel volume) so you can control your guitar volume.

You can now feed the sound man two XLR feeds, one for left and one for right, both of which contain a blend of iPAD and Guitar signals.

Or, you can feed him two 1/4" feeds, one for left and one for right, both of which contain a blend of iPAD and Guitar signals.

Or you can just plug in one 1/4" jack and feed him that one signal, which is a MONO blend of both the iPAD and Guitar signals.

Do you use your FX loop on the HD500 for anything? (I run my M13 in the HD500 fx loop in stereo)

If not, you could set up the dual channel concept, place the FX loop in one side, choose no amp model and run the iPod into the FX loop return; though I don't know what will happen since you are panning hard left and right, which is putting things in mono. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Okay so everything I try the voices in the songs always come out sounding sorta like they are being played underwater.  all of the instruments come out fine but the voices sound really bad and it messes up the mix.  I have tried it through seperate channels and even without the Hd500x and i get the same result....Any idea of what might be the problem?

If you plug the iPad into the 500X's MP3 input, it would pass the audio from the iPad through the outputs, but then you'd be controlling the volume of the two with the 500X's master volume. You could control the iPad's volume with its internal volume control still.

As phil_m mentioned. Why can't you just plug the iPad 1/8 out into the 1/8 mp3 in on the Pod? The iPad sound would then be unaffected.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on what you are trying to do, I wouldn't run it through the Pod. I would run the ipad through a keyboard type vol pedal (not a guitar pedal) and to the board. This would allow you to do the fades.

However, the proper way to do it would be to fix the levels and fades on all the backing tracks so you don't have to do the workarounds. Then you can concentrate on playing and just let the tracks play.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't think about using a keyboard volume pedal... That is a really good idea! when I used the MP3 input thing the only problem I had was being able to fade it.  Unfortunately it isn't backing tracks it is actually songs we got off of Itunes so it the actual song with all their singers and instruments.  We looked into the backing track thing but it just costs a lot for every individual song.  There is a great app called... Band in a Hand and it allows you to adjust everything from key to bpm but every song is $10-$15 

• 1 year later...

I'm just going to be honest, it sounds like your church is fairly small and trying to do a bit more than it can. I'm not sure what all your sound guy is doing during a song and such, but surely there is someone who can click "next" on the slides. I've had the joy of being in churches where there is no sound guy, you set the board and hope it works out. 

I'm not saying that to detract from you learning the ins and outs of the pedal, and I think its pretty cool you are willing to try to do this. But really the easiest solution is to get someone to click the slides.

• 7 years later...

I have my HD 500 going into my IPAD.  There are a number of ways to do it. You need a guitar to computer interface. I tried 4 different ways; this is the one I chose.

(1) I plug my HD 500 (1/4in output cable) into a UM2 (Behringer) interface (it's inexpensive; but works for me). You can choose more expensive ones as well.

(2) I plug the UM2 (USB cable) into a TENDAK "powered" USB3.0 HUB. (This provided the power needed for the UM2).

(3) I plug the USB HUB into an Apple "lightning cable" camera adapter (with USB and power ports).

(4) Plug the camera adapter into your IPAD lightning port. I plug a power cable into the camera adapter port so the IPAD will always stay powered up.

Your IPAD will select the UM2 input (not the IPAD microphone) and you can use your IPAD headphone jack as your monitor.

You can record in GarageBand or any other DAW (Studio One, Zentracker, etc) and use various plugins (Tonebridge), mobile POD, Rhino, etc).

I hope that helps. Bill