These forums are read only, please use our new Community here.

Main :: Guitar POD Products

POD, POD Pro, POD 2.0, PODxt, PODxt Live, PODxt Pro, Floor POD, Floor POD Plus

I can't get my Boss FV-300H to work as an expression pedal for my XT live
by paul_egy on 2007-06-05 13:22:43
I have an extra Boss FV-300H that I am trying to use as the external volume pedal with my Pod XT Live. The Boss website mentions it can be used as an expression pedal.

http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=40
"Combined with the optional PCS-33 Stereo Phone Cable, the FV-300L can also be used as an expression pedal"

I tried a mono 1/4" patch cable and a 1/4" stereo cable (TRS). Both of the cables yield the same result. I set the external pedal to be the volume pedal. When I push the pedal forward at about half way the volume control switches back to the pod's onboard pedal.

I don't know if I have this configured correctly. Any ideas? I have contacted Boss as well but haven't heard anything back.

Thanks
Paul Egy

Re: I can't get my Boss FV-300H to work as an expression pedal for my XT live
by punkinnit on 2007-06-05 13:32:55
You may need to calibrate it.

Mick

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2007-06-05 13:33:53
It probably has the wrong impedance to work with the Pod!

The EV-5 (Roland) works fine!

http://www.worldofschmitt.com/projects/roland_ev5/ev-5-schematics.html
Message was edited by: LoonyBin-Fizzbin

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2007-06-05 13:35:12
You cannot calibrate an external expression pedal, using an other source, such as the Pod!

Message was edited by: LoonyBin-Fizzbin

by AndyParedes on 2007-06-06 11:53:24
The Line 6 EX-1 uses a mono ¼” cable, so I am not sure how it would respond with a pedal that can be either mono or stereo. Hopefully this helps.

Regards,
Line6Andy

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2007-06-06 11:59:35
LOL!

You really don´t need to tip-toe around me! I don´t bite unless you are making personal references!

So if you are saying the TRS connector is used in that pedal! Then I can assume that there is an extra connection making the Pod not respond correctly!

So, which is it! The Ring or Tip that is redundant?

Or am I off the beated track?

Re: I can't get my Boss FV-300H to work as an expression pedal for my XT li
by paul_egy on 2007-06-06 13:33:50
Ok So I heard back from Boss that the main pot in my pedal is a 250k ohm pot. From what I see on other posts the Pod is expecting a resistance from 0 ohms to 10k ohms at the expression pedal jack.

How can I make this work?

Also this pedal has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. Which should I be using for the cable?

Re: I can't get my Boss FV-300H to work as an expression pedal for my XT li
by mwickett on 2007-06-06 14:19:48
It should "work" connecting to either output, but it will go very abruptly from fully off to fully on due to the high impedance pot. The FV-300L is designed with a lower impedance pot for this use.

by Line6Tony on 2007-06-07 11:50:40
The POD XTL's Pedal 2 input is TRS but wired as mono, so if using a TRS cable, the ring is sent to ground.

Although you are welcome to try, it is worth noting that we do not support the use of a pedal with anything other than a 10k ohm pot.

Line6Tony
Line6, Inc.

by pbear5 on 2007-06-07 13:39:05
this is really a Volume pedal not an expression pedal--you could use it as a pre or post POD volume pedal (actually you could use this particular model as BOTH pre & post POD which might be cool) and use the POD's pedal in Tweak Mode for expression functions where it makes sense.

oh, if you still want to try this as an expression pedal you would have to wire it differently than you describe--a single cable won't cut it, you need to get the Pot between the tip and the ring(?) so, my guess is that you would have to make up a custom "Y" cable to do it. of course you could open the thing up and wire the pot between the tip and ring on a single jack. while you have it open you might find that it's a no-brainer to replace the pot with a 10k.

by dlgmusicltd on 2007-06-08 20:16:21
I know you want to use your existing pedal, but the Roland EV-5 works great and doesn't cost too much. That's what I use. Actually, I got it for my GT-8(s) when I had those, but it also works great on the PODxt Live.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-EV5-Expression-Pedal?sku=151321

DLG
http://webpages.charter.net/dlgmusicltd