These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD400 Issue, can I get some help please!
by Picklechopper on 2013-03-10 14:56:18

I picked up a HD400 a while back and have tried evry possible way to hook it up and found that running it thru my effects loop sounded the best. I should state that I have a Blackstar HT-5 head. Anyways for some reason all sounds great until I tun the effects loop on on the pod. Then I notice that the sound is not that great. Also when I have the loop on my pod on is the only time I can switch to my overdrive channel of the amp other wise I can only use distortion from the pod.

I have looked into every possible change that could be made but have not accomplished anything. I know that it must be something really simple but for some reason I cannot get it.

Please help!

Thanks, I owe you the world!

Zach

Re: POD HD400 Issue, can I get some help please!
by jimsreynolds on 2013-03-11 02:30:24

What are you using the FX Loop on the Pod For?  Is it 4CM or do you have some other pedal/device in there?

by Picklechopper on 2013-03-11 05:18:36

The only reason I am using it in the loop is because I was told to run it straight thru the amps effects loop to get the best sound. I believe I am using the 4CM, and I assume I have it connected right. I just want to make it simple and what ever gets the best tone for me. I may be making this more difficult than it needs to be, I dont know. I have messed around so much that I think it is just confusing. How do you think I should hook it up so I can use my amp plus the effects the pod has to offer and of course so the effects are used to sound the best.

Thanks a lot!

by jimsreynolds on 2013-03-11 11:32:30

At it's simplest:

-  If you only want to use the Modelled amps within the POD and do not want to use the features from your 'real' amp's pre-amp (Gain, tone, etc) then keep it simple and plug your  1/4" Pod Output into the FX Return of your amp.

-  If you want to use your Amps' pre-amp tones then there are several ways to hook up .....

Front of Amp

Guitar ==> HD Input

HD 1/4" Output ==> Amp Input

This is the simplest way and works well for many people.  It works well if you are mainly using the clean channel on your amp or you are only using effects that normally sit in front of the amp(e.g. compression, wah, distortions, some modulations).  It is also OK for amp modelling if setup correctly.  Not always so great for reverbs and delays etc, particularly where higher gain tones are used.

In the Loop

Guitar ==> Amp Input

Amp FX Loop Send ==>  HD Input

HD 1/4" Output Left ==> Amp FX Return

This way works very well for effects like echoes and delays, reverbs and some modulations.  Not so well for distortions and wah.  Amp Modelling will almost certainly sound weird.

Four Cable Method

Guitar ==> HD Input

HD FX Send ==> Amp Input

Amp FX Send  ==> HD FX Return Left

HD 1/4" Output Left ==> Amp FX Return

This is the all singing, all dancing method for hookup.  It allows you to put all effects where you want them, to use your pre-amp channels correctly and allows for amp modelling too.  It is a pain to intially get your head around and setup but the results can be excellent.  For more details on 4CM and what it does check the link here.  http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2523

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.