These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

HD500 + DT25 (Link) vs (Mixer) vs (Amp) Patch Config Fundamentals
by scottieeades on 2013-03-10 19:55:25

Here is what I have experienced in setting up each of these 3 ways to use the POD HD 500 and the DT25 amp.

You do have to set patches up differently for each of the 3 ways.

1. Direct to mixer - XLR

2. L6 Link to DT25

3. 1/4 Amp (which is really using the POD like an FX unit only)

(You will have 3 different versions of each patch).

It is very managable because there are so many presets... so not a problem, but it is important to have all 3.

Using the HD500 Edit software there are 5 screens.  FX  -  Amps  -  Mixer  -  Controllers  - Setlist

The AMP screen is the ONLY one that needs changing for the 3 different patch types.

1. Direct XLR to mixer - This one is pretty straightforward.

Choose an Amp model -  (NOT Amp models with PRE at the end of them) and choose a Cabinet Setting).

Tweak the settings for: drive, bass, cut, treble, presence, channel volume... also E. R. and mic settings for the amp cab.

You can also modify the Class; Topology, and Mode.

Amp Parameter knobs are Master, Sag, Hum, Bias, Bias X

--modifying the "Amp Parameter" knobs will be lost when creating the replica patches for "L6 Link" and "1/4 Amp IN" only settings.

Save the patch then recall it to a DIFFERENT slot in the software. (1a, 1b, etc.)

2. L6 Link to DT25

First -

Make a screen shot of the AMP screen from patch type "1. (Direct XLR to mixer)".

make sure you have double-clicked to select the NEW slot where you copied the patch to).

NOW - select the Amp Model you had before except this time it WILL have the word PRE at the end.

EXAMPLE: "Class A30 TB" will now be "Class A30 TB PRE".

The "Amp Parameter" knobs (Master, Sag, Hum, Bias, Bias X) will be disappear and be replaced by a silver bar.

Also... drive, bass, cut, treble, presence, channel volume will change to a default setting based on that amp model.

Use the screen shot and reset them to the same settings as your previously created "Direct XLR to mixer" patch.

Save the patch to your computer with a NEW name (I put the word PRE in front of mine so the rest of the name matches the "Direct XLR to mixer" patch)

Make sure you have set this system parameter 

L6 LINK:CONTROL >>> AMP 1 option to "AMP A (CH1)."

Choosing the PRE amp setting now makes the DT25 sync to the amp settings for your chosen configuration.

and the preamp settings in your POD HD 500 are being used instead of the preamp settings in your amp.

(using the NON PRE setting is double preamping and very loud but also not a matched sound to your previous patch and can damage the speaker... among other things)

3. "1/4 output to Amp IN"

Really this is just using your POD HD 500 like an FX unit

maybe you love your amp and don't want to change it's tone

but you would like to use the POD HD effects only.

This one is easy ! 

Recall your first patch type (Direct XLR to mixer) to a NEW location in the HD edit software.

go to the AMPS page and turn off the amp. (one click on the circular button)

save it with a new name. (I usually put FX in front of the existing name).

Now you can plug a guitar cable from 1/4 out mono: to the 1/4 guitar input on your amp.

this keeps your amps tone but let's you use the effect pedals built into the POD HD 500.

if you use the first two patch types (the ones with amp and preamp) it overdrives your input and is incredibly loud.

definitely can damage your amp; speaker; hearing, etc.

So... in summary:  you should have 3 patches named something like this.

Favorite Tone                      (direct XLR to mixer)

PRE Favorite Tone                     (L6 LINK)

FX Favorite Tone                     (1/4 input to AMP)

Re: HD500 + DT25 (Link) vs (Mixer) vs (Amp) Patch Config Fundamentals
by innovine on 2013-03-10 22:17:00

You mentioned damaging the amp in several places. How do you know this? It sounds like total bullshit to me. Also, double preamping? Wrong. You are just introducing power amp modelling and then the real poweramp, there is only one preamp in use, and it wont damage anything.

by scottieeades on 2013-03-11 16:26:18

ok...

so overlooking the acidity of your comments and answering the technical part...

I didn't build the Pod HD500 or the DT25, so I put the question to Tech support.

Hopefully they will answer.

You could be right, but even so... in terms of gain staging,

the signals are not matched and volumes and sounds between the 3 scenarios to use the Pod HD500 are very unevenly matched.

--

section 4.3 of the manual

L6 LINK Connectivity Guide for POD HD & DT Amplifiers v2.00 - English ( Rev E )

recommends using the amp settings with the word PRE when using the L6.

also when I rent a practice room with an amp for my band, I notice that I can't really use the amp tone, because I'm pushing so much signal into the amp's 1/4 connection.

anyway... I didn't see anything listed in the forums to detail really how to use them in a consistent manner so I thought for once I would share what I have learned.

You are of course free to try it or ignore it.

I will post a reply from Line6 if I get one concerning the "double preamp" and "damage to the amp" comment.

Thanks, 

Scottie

***** Section 4.3***** below

As you can see by the above options, the analog circuitry of the DT Series amplifiers is capable of radical reconfiguration. Feel free to experiment with different settings all you like, but here are some helpful tips in understanding the nature of these amplifier options, and what to expect when combining POD HD Amp Models and these settings.

POD HD Preamp Models vs. Full Amp Models

• Typically, the most authentic sonic experience for POD HD + DT is to use a POD HD Preamp Model, and then allow the DT amp to "adaptively" select the intended power amp options to match.

POD HD Preamp Models, by design, exhibit fairly significant variations in volume levels. Therefore, it is recommended to either take some time in adjusting the Preamp Model’s Drive and Volume knob settings and save them in Presets, especially if using your gear in a live situation (more about Preset loading below)

DT Amp Parameter Usage Tips

by scottieeades on 2013-03-17 14:01:42

Innovine,

you are correct... no damage to the amp...

the methods I posted above are nevertheless a good way to get consistent sounds in all 3 scenarios, but they actually will not damage the amp.

It just doesn't seem like you should run amp modeling into an amp.. (that's why many players using the HD500 choose keyboard amps... trying to get no tone color from the amp it'self.)

Anyway... I guess you can do it anyway you choose with no worries.

*** Here is the response from Tech support.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

We'd rather not utilize tech support for settling forum disputes as this is a place for customers with problems using their gear to get help to fix them.

In this case, using the non-pre models will not damage the amp.  Its just another option to use to get a slightly different sound.  If it would damage the amp, it would not be made available as an option to use with the DT25.

Regards,

Line6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.