These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Is JTV-69 worthy?
by Geo888 on 2013-03-14 15:23:41

Hi all,

I am an owner of HD500 and waiting for DT25 to arrive....Based on my style JTV-69 is the guitar for me. But I am really concerned about quality issues, this is a fact that makes me think of the 59 but I can hardly do without a tremolo....What is your opinion? Is it too risky to get a 69? I am going to order it online...

Thanks in advance,

George

Re: Is JTV-69 worthy?
by TheRealZap on 2013-03-14 15:38:51

I don't think it's that risky... issues do happen... but it's not the norm.

by player99 on 2013-03-14 17:10:54

You should try it before you buy it... I would never order one. I also think defects are actually the norm.

by TheRealZap on 2013-03-14 17:32:50

it's 100% not the norm... the posts on here are usually people with issues.... if you have one without issues... you're probably offline playing it...

any reputable place will offer the ability to return it... get it.. you'll be happy you did... and if you aren't... send it back.

by snhirsch on 2013-03-14 17:40:17

Geo888 wrote:

I am an owner of HD500 and waiting for DT25 to arrive....Based on my style JTV-69 is the guitar for me. But I am really concerned about quality issues, this is a fact that makes me think of the 59 but I can hardly do without a tremolo....What is your opinion? Is it too risky to get a 69? I am going to order it online...

Other than needing some bridge adjustment, my JTV-69 has been a joy.  I did replace the neck with a Strat-style MightyMite, but that's a personal preference.  There were no quality issues with the original.

by Javadog2008 on 2013-03-14 17:52:11

I have had the 69 korean model for a few months now and like many others have not touched my other guitars since I got it (except the accoustic, but well, no amp needed right?). This is my first fender style guitar, the others are LP's and I have been very happy. No show stoppers.

Ordered from Musicians Friend and they have a good return policy although I have never used it.

Like the real zap says, no one is bitching about how good thier guitars are, you generally only hear the complaints.

by phil_m on 2013-03-14 18:10:24

Do you really think Line 6 would keep a guitar on the market if defects were the norm? I would have to think that even their biggest detractor would have to admit that Line 6 is not in business to lose money. And having defective products on the market that require repair or return does nothing but cause a loss of income for the company. I have no doubt that if the failure rate was extremely high that the guitar would be discontinued.

by silverhead on 2013-03-14 18:15:22

I ordered one without trying it - they're just not in stock in Canadian stores. It arrived in perfect condition - no defects. It's been a year now and I really haven't played any of my other guitars since, except to dust them off occasionally in nostalgic moments.

by Geo888 on 2013-03-15 00:12:49

That's good to hear that there are many satisfied owners as well....Is it true that the quality in JTV59 is better than in JTV69??? I am talking about the Korean models of course

by TheRealZap on 2013-03-15 04:18:21

I honestly don't think that's true... at first the 59's had alot of switch issues.... and the 69's had a batch with neck issues... hadn't heard alot of either issue lately and assume that they are more or less under control.

the 89 is probably the one i've heard the least issues with....

but ultimately it's what style suits you... so get the one you want the most... if you have an issue exchange it... but you want the one that will make you happy in the long term.

by Geo888 on 2013-03-15 08:21:09

You are absolutely right RealZap. The problem is that I want both 59 & 69! But I am not looking for a divorce reason making such an announcement to my wife!lol!

I will hit the 69 3TS....Probably till the end of the month I will order it from an online store at €1199.....:) Let's hope I will be lucky enough to get a good instrument!

by TheRealZap on 2013-03-15 08:36:07

I've played them all, both USA and korean.. and they are all pretty much what you'd expect... strat like, les like, shredder like... and of course the usa models a bit of a refined version of such.

i ended up getting the 59 myself (korean) because of my comfort playing a gibson style neck (primarily hollowbodies)...

just saying... looks are good and important... but if one style plays better for you... that's the one you should go for if you have to make a decision.

by Geo888 on 2013-03-15 12:55:08

I totally agree with you RealZap....That's why my initial choice is 69...Although I find 59 a more beautiful instrument...

The only negative when buying a guitar that emulates other instruments is like buying a PC.... A better model may come out (e.g Quad Core), less latency, better algorithms --> Better Sound...The versality though is something incredible!

by TheRealZap on 2013-03-15 16:56:41

honestly, coming from the earlier variax... i didn't notice any difference in the latency or processing... just the extra tuning capabilities and the guitar itself was noticably improved... (and of cours ethe mags...)

the "next model" is pretty much going to be the announced v2.0 software update.. so i'm sure that you won't have an old model any time soon...

i can tell the difference in the HD acoustic models.... nearly everyone can... but not everyone likes them...

the newest models.... that i've not seen any of the earlier 59 or 60 issues on is the 59p and 69s... if that's your thing...

i kind of wanted a 69s myself... but then i like the pickguard better on the HSS version....

by Geo888 on 2013-03-16 05:15:42

Basically I prefer the hss version too...do you mean that they will upgrade the software of variax to v2 for the existing models?

by snhirsch on 2013-03-16 07:16:10

Yes, Line6 have already announced that v2 firmware will be a free download for JT Variax owners. 

by Geo888 on 2013-03-16 07:50:23

That's excellent news!

by spikey on 2013-03-18 19:34:03

phil_m wrote:

Do you really think Line 6 would keep a guitar on the market if defects were the norm? I would have to think that even their biggest detractor would have to admit that Line 6 is not in business to lose money. And having defective products on the market that require repair or return does nothing but cause a loss of income for the company. I have no doubt that if the failure rate was extremely high that the guitar would be discontinued.

All that is true phil, but there are/were too many issues getting past the QA dept for me from the start, at least for a while. I own a JVT69, 2nd one. 1st one has pickup issues and was returned to the vendor. 2nd one turned out alright so far. I still have it so that says plenty. Although I appreciate the technologies and am amazed at the progress that line 6 has made over many years, I still think they had a problem in their guitar QA group, as well as the transformer issues in the DT series amps. It may very well be less than when they ramped up for production, but I think it still exists. Im not saying that they are the only ones, or that production issues belong to Line 6 alone. Im not saying that every other one has issues. I would order again unplayed, and roll the dice just like last time. Hell even Fenders come in bad, I had one shipped to me with a broken tone pot once. And it has nothing to do with them trying not to make money. It has to do with the exact opposite im thinking... ; ) No one is perfect, even if I want them to be. But holding their feet to the fire is also good for business at times. So let me ask you this. After reading all of the issues regarding problems with all Line 6 products here, do you think it has scared off very many potential buyers? They ( like the no isssues guys) arnt here to ask either... And thats my whole point about there being to many problems listed.  Of course,  hindsite is always 20/20.... ; )

by spikey on 2013-03-18 19:41:35

Order from some place like Musicians Friend, where they have a 14/30 day return policy (find out the specific details on this before ordering). This way if you are very careful and just dont like it, you can return it without any extra headaches/costs.... I ordered like many have, without playing it first.

by lincolnline6 on 2013-03-21 14:10:11

I've had the 69 K model for over a year now, and have had no issues with it at all.

Plays beautifully. I am a happy buyer. I ordered mine online from a reputable shop, and it came ready to play, intonated perfectly, and with a great action.

Like has been said before, support forums do not generally get frequented by happy people, as they are a place to try to solve issues usually.

I come here for ideas, not problems.

by klarkkentster on 2013-03-22 09:12:18

I received mine a couple months ago...and love it. Check and see what the serial number is so you don;t get one thats been around a year or so.  My 2 cents

by gskroll on 2013-03-22 17:19:17

Do you have the "magic decoder ring" for the serial numbers?

by klarkkentster on 2013-03-22 18:47:12

This is my understanding   ...on the below it was built 05/09/2011

W11090571

by snhirsch on 2013-03-22 19:31:45

I don't thinks that's exactly right.  It would imply that my JTV-69 was built on March 0, 2012 :-).

by jayson2 on 2013-03-22 20:43:58

I think the serial number means it's the 571st Variax produced in September 2011.  The "W" means it was built by World guitars in Korea.

Cheers, 

jayson

by davidb7170 on 2013-03-23 16:12:11

Yep -- you're right on. W is for World in Korea, 11 is 2011, 09 is September, and 0571 would be their number for the unit -- dunno if they follow sequentially from 0001 to a possible 9999 for every month, though -- not enough to go on. But it would make sense -- though that's expecting a lot... ;o)

Dave

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.