These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

DIY expression pedal
by BlueViolince on 2013-03-15 11:22:55

I just whipped up an expression pedal for my HD500, with a wah, one additional pot, and even added custom grip to the treadle.  Used a Dunlop GCB-95, a 75K pot, and adhesive diamond pattern grip tape for the top.  I cut out the guts(PCB, and left the stock pot intact.  The 75K pot was wired in parallel with the wah pot, and I installed a standard mono jack in one of the holes left by the stock jacks(they were board mounted, so I couldn't use them).  The additional pot was adjusted so that the Pod would see 10K at heel down, and 0 at toe down.  Wired it all the jack, and it works great!  Just taped the secondary pot to the inside of the case, and if I decide to use the pedal with another processor that requires a different range, I can just adjust that pot to the required resistance.  Hope this helps someone who doesn't have the cash for a custom made expression pedal.  I think I saw the 2 potentiometer trick on another guitar forum, but I can't remember where. 

IMG_1094.JPGIMG_1095.JPG

Re: DIY expression pedal
by chagmaier on 2013-03-17 13:00:37

I also have a GCB 95 cry baby that rarely gets used...  Do you think its possible to do this while keeping the stock components?  For example, install a 3rd TS jack on the side, and connect it directly to the pot.  Would that be feasable?

by BlueViolince on 2013-03-17 20:51:57

Hmm... If that uses a SPDT switch, then you might be able to swap in a DPDT switch, wired to the second pot bypassing the stock innards, and have the third jack wired to those wires.  Personally, I wouldn't, just because it removes your expression control when you want to use the wah.  Also I'm not clear on what happens to your controlled parameters when the expression pedal is bypassed.  I assume that it just keeps the last setting, but that would mean that it gets left onto whatever value is assigned to toe down, due to the wah setup.  

by jimsreynolds on 2013-03-18 01:01:49

Nice work Blue!  Thanks for sharing.

by chagmaier on 2013-03-18 01:57:03

I guess then that the stock pot isnt 75K?  I was thinking of adding a small dpdt switch under the treadle to switch between expression and wah.

by BlueViolince on 2013-03-18 07:00:59

The stock pot for that wah is 100k. But the circuit will see the value across both pots if they are parallel. I'm not up on electrical theory, but it works.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.