These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Flextone I / II / III / Duoverb / HD147

[HD147] Technical problems (faulty on/off switch; random sound dropout; Line 6 Edit)
by Volsong on 2009-06-16 00:13:26

Hello there,

I've for about a year or so been plagued by a few issues with my Line 6 HD147. I've scoured most of the forums here and on Google for some info but I can no longer find any. I recall an old thread, prior to the forum "upgrade", about a fellow whom replaced his on/off toggle switch with one from an auto part store but I can no longer find it. I was wondering, since there are no replacement parts on here for the toggle (nor a parts list), if anyone here had any insight on what would make for a viable replacement.

The other issue involves random sound dropouts once my amp decides it wants to stay on. I'll post an exerpt from my service inquires which pretty much detail the entirety of my technical problems:

"I am currently having two issues with the amp. 1) The on/off switch

appears to be faulty and Line 6 does not have a replacement for it on
the website. It will turn on sometimes and then power off but if I
toggle the switch sometimes it'll eventually stay on. 2) Once the amp is
on it'll sometimes cut off all sound. After cutting off the sound, I
have found that changing presets will make it work again. It will cut
off on average of 2-3 times within the first minute or so of powering
off and then it's fine.

Other than those issues, my amp appears to be in working order. I'd
normally fix it myself but the lack of support/parts from Line 6 and the
possible complexity off the amp cutting sound makes me very reluctant to
do so. I imagine the on/off switch problem is either a broken solder
joint or the switch itself may have been damaged over the course of my
live gigging"

The only other issue I have that may or may not be related is the dreaded Line 6 Edit not working properly for we few HD147 users. I've still do this date, with no surprise, not seen any response from Line 6 about any support for the HD147's incompatibility with the new Line 6 Edit. It's still listed under the release as working but trying to sort out all the missing parameters and mislabeling is a tedious task. Also, I'm not sure if the Line 6 Edit could have messed up my amp's programming or something because I did a factory reset and the issue went away until I tried to upload my old presets via midi again.

Now I've tried to be fair to their tech support team and not bash them but this is ridiculous! No reputable company boasting about their amazing products and quality should ever leave people in the dark about tech support and issues. It's indescribably unprofessional and frustrating especially to die hard fans/supporters of Line 6 whom reluctantly want to switch to another brand. At least inform us about what's going on and progress on the issue if you even give a damn about the people keeping your company alive!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

.:Jay:.

Re: [HD147] Technical problems (faulty on/off switch; random sound dropout; Line 6 Edit)
by AndyParedes on 2009-06-16 15:14:48

Hello,

1) Please take your unit to a Line 6 service center for diagnosis and repair of your power switch and other audio cutout issues.

Product Repair

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4285

2) The latest version of Line 6 Edit is compatible with the HD 147 on both Mac and PC platforms, with a few known issues that have been discussed numerous times on the forums.  See the following links for more information:

MIDI: Functionality, Control, and Connectivity with Line 6 devices

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4287

Line 6 Edit FAQ

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3783

Line 6 Edit: Transferring Patches (Downloaded or Created)

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3584

Java /Vista errors with Line 6 Edit and Workbench

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4497

Regards,

Line6Andy

Re: [HD147] Technical problems (faulty on/off switch; random sound dropout; Line 6 Edit)
by RussBert on 2009-06-16 16:33:33

Jay,

Call line 6 cutomer support, and get in touch with the parts department. They will hook you up with the part you need. I found them to be very courteous and helpful...

...much unlike the "same 'ol same 'ol" you get from the Line 6 robots that are here to "Help" you. All they can say is "take it to a L6 repair tech"

C'mon Andy and crew, customer service begins with actually TRYING to help the customer!

part help
by RussBert on 2009-06-16 17:58:22

the power switch part number is,

24-06-0011

by Volsong on 2009-06-16 23:40:44

L6A, I appreciate the prompt reply but nothing was mentioned that I did not already know or have not looked up myself already. I already sent out an inquiry to an approved service department about repairs. I do not see any of these discussions you mentioned since most were either hidden or deleted since the forum upgrade as I said. Even then, if the information in said discussions were VITAL, why are they not in the FAQ or a bug list? I obviously over looked them and I honestly DID search for answers so why not make everyone's life easier and compile/update the data? honestly, if I could get a job doing this I'd do it in a heartbeat! Seriously though, we should have a central area to find out all of our questions and concerns that have already been answered or helpful instead of having to hunt down every tidbit.

Also, I am not having issues with Line 6 Edit having a JAVA error. I currently have Java Runtime Environments 5 (update 14) and 6 (updates 5, 7, 13) and I have received no messages stating Line 6 Edit (I reverted to v2.03.00 since the latest L6E is an abomination to the HD147) was having an issue with it. I am still irritated about all of the mislabeled parameters and why uploading presets causes my amp to have sketchy bugs like my sound cutting off and on several times for the first minute or so.

For what it's worth, I am using Vista SP2 with the Midiman Midisport 2x2 (latest drivers) to connect my HD147 to my computer. I don't know why I've been seeing people mention using Line 6 Monkey for anything HD147 since I thought it was incompatible nor is the HD147 listed in its drop down menu.

Russbert, thanks a TON for the advice and part number! I'm sure they will come in handy when I try to have some justice done to my HD147. It pains me seeing her like this. =\

by wilkenator on 2009-11-09 07:59:01

I have similar issues and I would recommend getting away from line6 products. I have spent lots of money trying to get it fixed and with crappy support from line6.

I had to replace the power switch but the amp sounds like crap sometimes. Its like it is lacking guts or sound dropout. Then sometimes it will be just fine usually after I've

pulled the jack out and crammed it back it with the power on.

Its sad, it has so much potential, but i just got frustrated. It also seems that everytime I used line6 edit I would have problems, so I threw it in a creek and shot it several times with a shotgun before hauling it back onto land and bashing it with a sledge hammer. Then I burned it in a fire and there it sits rotting. Then I went to my local music store and bought a marshall stack and OMG I am in heaven. Marshall puts line6 to shame. ALL HAIL MARSHALLs! If you ever figure out what the problem is with the random sound dropout I'd like to know so I can slap my local line6 repair guy upside his expensive retarded head!

by ricksox on 2009-11-09 08:06:39

We're all the same people FYI...

by ricksox on 2009-11-09 08:07:56

wilkenator wrote:

It also seems that everytime I used line6 edit I would have problems, so I threw it in a creek and shot it several times with a shotgun before hauling it back onto land and bashing it with a sledge hammer. Then I burned it in a fire and there it sits rotting. Then I went to my local music store and bought a marshall stack and OMG I am in heaven. Marshall puts line6 to shame.

Seems like your problems run a bit deeper than just not liking your Line 6 amp.

by wilkenator on 2009-11-09 14:25:29

Apparently your retarded because my problems started when I bought line 6 crap! And guess what it only was the surface..crappy products with bugs and lousy customer support make for bad experiences. I'll put it this way, I wasted a lot of time and money because of line 6. Now that I have moved on, so has my headache called line6. To anyone who asks me about them..i tell them DON'T ITS LINESHITZ! and if you want to impress people, don't antagonize customers. this is just an example how poor this forum really is!

by wilkenator on 2009-11-09 14:27:22

As usual with line6 merchandise...I cant really call it equipment, you have to spend lots of time reading on how to make it work right. Also youll have to buy other equipment to make it work as well. Also line6 merchandise doesn't last long after the warranty before breaking down. They have this down to an art. beware anyone who buys anything line6.

by Volsong on 2010-08-22 13:21:24

Hello again everyone. I'm sorry it took me forever to post my solution but I've been pretty discouraged from bothering with the forums here lately.

I seem to have found a solution to this problem. If your amp is under warranty, stop reading now and seek a professional approved by Line 6 to do it so you don't void it.

Now that that's out of the way, I went to Auto Zone as I remembered from a thread on the old forum that got deleted and found a toggle switch made by Pilot (part number PL-SW26) that matched or exceeded the specs on the old switch which I couldn't find for the life of me. This switch has worked for me for the last six months so far with no problems (actually an improvement to the flimsy one my amp came with) and is a more SOLID switching mechanism you can feel. They come with an optional switch cover too which I think is perfect for gigging so you don't damage the switch while moving stuff. It solved pretty much ALL of my problems I complained about earlier. The only remaining problems my amp has are Line 6 Edit (no surprise there) and the low volume settings on the master volume knob having some noise or inconsistent output which I believe is due to a faulty or dirty potentiometer but the problem goes away at higher volumes.

The install itself is rather easy though so I'll post a few steps I think will help guide you (this can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing):

Please note I assume no responsibility for your electrical endeavors!

• Wear thick rubber gloves and/or get an electrical wrist band you can clip to a grounded chassis (you can find them at Radio Shack) for safety.
  • Un-plug your amp! <-- This might sound obvious but don't forget to do it!
  • Remove the four screws on the side of your amp nearest your power switch.
  • Un-plug the two wires to the switch. Take note of where each wire goes (one should be black, one should be white). Mark them if you like.
  • Unscrew the nut on the front of the switch with a socket wrench (be careful not to scratch the black panel behind it like I did)
  • Replace the switch with your new one. You won't need to install the switch cover but if you want to, put it on the outside of the panel along with the washer and then the nut.
  • Once it is secured, attach the two wires you removed from the previous switch (make sure they go to the right inputs).
  • Replace the side panel.
  • Plug in your amp and power it up.
  • Enjoy. =)

.:Jay:.

PS: Here is the link to the part if it will allow me to post it: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Pilot-Automotive-Red-safety-cover-racing-toggle-switch/_/N-25ec?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=pilot+pl-sw26&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=412565_0_0_

PPS: I will attach some poor quality photos of my amp with it installed in the off position and on position for the hell of it.

by rockstar4ever on 2010-08-23 16:41:42

Since I can't seem to post anywhere else on this site maybe someone can help me from here. if I hold a note out..it sometimes fades in between distortion and clean.

However today I was playing a bit and it started buzzing really loud and sqealing which had nothing to do with feedback from the guitar. Everytime i try to play it ...the buzzing starts up and doesn't stop until i turn it off. its not the wires they are brand new...the inputs are not loose on either the guitar nor the head....and everything is set up and plugged in correctly.

my friends says it has something to do with the motherboard not being grounded....? PLEASE HELP

by dreadfull on 2010-10-20 03:40:29

Hi!

I dont have any switch problems (that i know of) but i do have also the sound dropout problem.

Did u found a way to fix this sound dropout problem?? Did fixing/changing that switch solved your sound dropout problem also?

When i turn my amp on it gives some sound, but with less volume that i'm used to. Then the volume kinda fades or completely disappears (fluctuate).

Cheers,

John

by Volsong on 2010-10-20 15:30:49

@ Rockstar: I have no idea. =\ I guess the only way to be sure is cave and pay a Line 6 approved repair guy to look at it. -_-

@ Dreadfull: Yes, it did solve my sound problem as well. I actually opened up the old switch's casing to see what the problem was and it looked really corroded and burnt out. I'm assuming the issues I had were related to the resulting poor contact. It's worth checking the switch if you don't have a warranty to void since it sounds like my problem was more severe than yours since mine wouldn't stay on unless I was lucky.

The only problems I still have are the sound making a crackling noise or being inconsistent when I move it around very low volumes (0-2 area) and Line 6 Edit still being a total waste of time for the HD 147. This is probably an issue with the volume's potentiometer, the mother board or a bad contact. I'm no expert though so this is pure speculation.

by dreadfull on 2010-10-23 06:33:35

Thankz for the reply Volsong. I'll check it out.

by Volsong on 2010-10-26 12:05:26

No problem and good luck!

Make sure you post here if it solves your problem or you figure out what the problem is so it helps everyone else. =)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.