These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Spider Valve HD100 - SVPRE Installation
by budstaylor on 2009-03-12 00:01:23

Hi folks.  I ordered the SVPRE for the HD100 yesterday.  I was thinking about doing the installation myself.  I haven't soddered before but I think I can do it without a problem.  I am more worried about the power dissipation issue.  What should I do to make sure the power from the head has completely left the building?  What have you guys done in this light?  Is there any advice specific to the installation that you can provide?

Thanks!

-Bud

Re: Spider Valve HD100 - SVPRE Installation
by spaceatl on 2009-03-12 00:23:38

Turn the power off without going to standby...

by budstaylor on 2009-03-12 00:51:18

Hi Space.  How long should I wait before doing the mod after I turn off the power?

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-12 09:30:04

Minutes!

But I´d wait an hour, just to be safe!

And keep your Amp Plugged in! But off! This is where the Ground connection is! Just don´t go messing in the AC section! It´s at the other end of the Amp as well!

by budstaylor on 2009-03-12 09:38:09

Hi Loony!  So I should keep my amp plugged in?  I was planning on unplugging it and doing the work on a workbench...Is there a problem with this approach?

Thanks,

Bud

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-12 09:54:46

No not at all!  I always recommend having it grounded for safety!  I did have it plugged in myself, with the Power Off at the breaker, the ground is not disconnected when you do this, only the Hot leg gets disconnected!

by budstaylor on 2009-03-12 09:57:53

Hi guys.  So could I use a surge suppressor in the off position in lieu of turning off the breaker to the outlet?

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-12 10:00:18

Yes, absolutely, as long as it has a Ground Pin!

by bluekanoodle on 2009-03-12 10:03:18

This getting too complicated!

All you have to do is turn the amp off leave it plugged int for about an hour. This will drain the capacitors. These suckers drain pretty quickly on the SV . I don't remember who , but recently somebody tested it and posted the results on the old forum. After 10 minutes or so, the capacitors had drained significantly to safe levels, so and hour will keep you a nice cushion.

After that you can unplug it and do your work. No one on this forum has killed themselve yet doing it this way. Of course if they were dead they wouldn't be here to tell us about it.

I'd be more concerned with getting the dreaded blue connector figured out then the power issue to be honest.

by budstaylor on 2009-03-12 10:21:09

LOL...so on that subject :-)...is the main problem peeps have is with the orientation of the blue connector?

by bluekanoodle on 2009-03-12 10:30:33

That and splicing the cable correclty to make sure you don't put it in the wrong spot and blow your DSP.

If you take your time, follow the pictures closely and ask here if your not sure, it's not that bad. It took me 15 minutes to install mine, and 5  of that was taking the amp apart, 5 was trying to figure out the orientation, and 4 of it was putting the amp back together.

by Line6Hugo on 2009-03-12 11:18:10

I'm sure you all know this is unsupported usage, but what I really want to stress to you, Bud, is to please be careful if you are going to perform this modification. I'm not too keen on fried forum members.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by spaceatl on 2009-03-12 12:03:03

When I did mine, I powered down and took the amp apart the night before I did the mod and let it sit overnight...I'm still here....

by budstaylor on 2009-03-13 12:37:19

Hi guys.  Thanks for all the help.  One additional question...is there any advice you can give in terms of the blue connector.  I was going to use a screw driver to get the wires into the connector.  Did you guys just cut the riboon cable and push the sections into the connector or did you trim the individual sections?

Thanks,

Bud

by A7whiny on 2009-03-13 12:53:22

Installing the SVPre requires hooking up 4 wires.  3 of these are solder joints.

The red wire goes to the power.  On my little SV112 it solders to the right side of R-45 resistor.  That location has over 250VDC on it when the amp is turned on.  The other 2 wires are the heater wires and the voltage there is low.  The last is of course the 6-wire Ribbon Cable.  The most voltage on it is what I call pin #1 and is 5VDC.

Once the SVPre is installed and the amp is turned on the back of the SVPre's tube socket is pretty exposed to your hand when you change the DIP switches.  That tube socket - and the other solder joints on that board near the tube socket - has that 250VDC on them.  The actual tube I think maxes at a little over 130VCD or so.  I don't remember.  There is a concern when you change the DIP switches.  You must be careful with the back of that tube socket or you can get zapped.

Other than that - you should-not have your hands browsing around in the bottom of the amp touching the caps and solder joints unless you're like me and always doing mods in there.

If you leave the StandBy switch in the "on" position when you turn off the amp (either by pulling the plug or flipping the master switch) the voltage in the caps (in the amp) bleeds off very quickly.  In the matter of 1 minute it will be down.  If you turn off the amp with the StandBy switch in the StandBy position then you  will  isolate the high voltage in the caps and the bleed down will take quite a bit longer

Even knowing this I never stick my hands in there and touch anything unless I first put my voltmeter on the tube pins and check for high voltage.  Once I do my little check I know I'm safe.  I recommend you do the same.  Then you will know when you are in danger.  And "yes", it is that easy.

The Blue connector:

I took one look at the dreaded blue connector - put it in the trash can - and just soldered the ribbon cable.  I honestly did not want to mess with that thing.   I also had no doubt I could make those solder joints.  lol

Good luck.

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-13 13:24:44

Bent Ribbon.jpeg

I bent the Ribbon cable, then used a small & sharp pair of finger nail scissors!  I also left half an inch at the end of the ribbon cable to have something to grab on to while pulling it into the 'Blue Connector"

It worked, (in one shot) but still not as easy as I would have liked,

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-13 13:33:17

Blue Cn Inserting.jpeg

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-13 13:36:42

http://www.vettaville.net/SV-Pre-Installation/SV-Pre-Cable-Direction.jpg

The link above is to a Picture of the Ribbon cable orientation!

From here: http://www.vettaville.nl/page.php?id=132#884

by A7whiny on 2009-03-13 13:39:13

nice pics loony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-13 14:32:26

Green Bug.jpeg

Here is one I took of a "Green Beetle/bug" in the front yard! It´s about the size of a thumbnail! 

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-13 14:36:00

Green Bug w thumb.jpeg

See the Split in my thumb-nail?

I did that about 20 years ago, and it never healed! I lossened the yoke on an Ultra-Arc or Strong Super-Trooper, and wham, the whole thing fell on my thumb that was laying on the stand!  Still did the Show, and tear-down though!

by A7whiny on 2009-03-13 14:37:11

Dang Loony!!!!! That is a great shot!!!!!!!!!!  I didn't know you were so talented

by mswessel on 2009-07-18 18:38:47

Hey all,

I'm having an issue with my HD 100 Install.  I intalled all correctly...I thought!  I ended up soldering the ribbon to the white connector and bypassing the DBC.  The issue I think I'm having after carful review is that I soldered the red power cable to the right side of the R45 connector...would that lead to thise issues?

I installed the Pre into my amp and for some reason cannot use any channels other then Clean and Tweed.  As soon as you go to the higher gain amp models I have nothing but a high feedback.  In addition I've lost a lot of output power.  Very quiet now.  I worked with an electrician and soldered the ribbon to the board bypassing the Blue Connector.  I have it at a shop now and they said everything looks right.

Thoughts???

Thanks for everyone's help!

M

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-08-11 15:08:50

Three posibilities:

The Ribon Cable is installed backwards, the Pre-Amp tube on the SV is deffective, and this is very rare! But Posible or the SV-Pre needs to be looked at, also very rare!

!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.