These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Set foot pedal for distortion control?
by thsocom41 on 2013-03-20 03:12:29

Hi all! I am 1 day into using the hd500... and its overwhelming lol. I have been a line 6 user for over 10 years now. I have always used the computer to edit all of my tones. On my Xt Live i was able to use the foot pedal to control how much distortion i wanted. so if backed it all the way off it would be completely clean, and if i pushed it further i could get more distortion. Can i do this on the hd500? because i cant find it. please help me!!! also! on the xt live i was able to get rid of noise feedback. how can i do that on here? thanks!

Re: Set foot pedal for distortion control?
by silverhead on 2013-03-20 06:13:53

Yes you can do this on the HD500. Since you are familiar with using the XT editor, you should find this fairly easy to do using HD500 Edit. Once you have assigned the deisred Distortion FX to the preset, go to the Controllers page in HD500 Edit. Select the DIST FX from the module pull-down mene, then select a desired parameter, select the EXP pedal as the controller, and set the Min and Max ranges for pedal operation. Do not physically move the pedal during this time. After completing the settings, the editor display will change as soon as you move the pedal. Test your settings and repeat as desired.

by BlueViolince on 2013-03-20 10:37:15

What I've done with most of my patches is set my exp-1 to go from straight clean tone to the maximum effect I want each patch to have.  That means exp-1 will control as many as 10 parameters between the affected blocks.  Usually, it will include modulation mix, delay repeats and volume, amp gain and bass(depending on the patch), and reverb mix.  So much better to have a controlled fade in/out of effects than clicking from one patch to another, especially if you are playing songs that have a wide dynamic range. 

by StephenSLR on 2013-03-20 15:15:05

What I'd like to know is can I swap around EXP-1 and EXP-2 assignments?

I put in a volume pedal and for some reason it was automatically assigned to EXP-2 and I have to hit the toe switch to switch to EXP-1 in order for it to work. I'd like it the other way around.

After selecting the patch, I'd like the volume to automatically be on and assigned to EXP-1 and when I hit the toe switch it switches off.

s

by thsocom41 on 2013-03-20 22:36:29

you are awesome man i apreciate your help!!! thank you!

by silverhead on 2013-03-21 06:22:13

Yes, you can swap the EXP-1 and -2 assignments. The procedure is similar to that outlined in my first repsone above. Use the Controllers page in HD500 Edit. Assign the VOL FX to the preset, and use your foot to physically place the pedal in the EXP-1 position. In the Controllers page, select VOL as the Model. In the FS field and select the Toe Switch as the on/off trigger. In the Parameter field, select the volume level. In the Controller field select  EXP-1 and set the Min/Max values if desired. Then return to the FX page in HD50 Edit and make sure the VOL FX is ON; click the on/off button if necessary. Finally, SAVE the preset in exactly this state.

This setup will ensure that when you recall the preset the VOL FX is on, the pedal is in the EXP-1 position, and the pedal will control the VOL level within the assigned Min/Max range. Depressing the Toe Switch will turn the VOL FX off, and set the pedal to the EXP-2 position.

by StephenSLR on 2013-03-21 15:45:00

Excellent thanks, how would this be done on the pedalboard? Just say I didn't have a HDEdit nearby? 

Is the key to it that the position the toe switch is in, dictates the default setting for the pedal?

s

by silverhead on 2013-03-21 15:52:59

Yes, both the current position of the pedal (EXP-1 vs EXP-2) and the current on/off state of the VOL FX are the keys - you need to SAVE the preset with these in the proper state.

As for the corresponding button-pushing and knob twiddling on the device itself (without hte editor) I will have to refer you to the manual. See Product Manuals under the Support tab at the top of this page; navigate to the HD500 Advanced Guide and download it. Follow the above prescription and adapt it to the pedalboard.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.