These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Pod XT Live vs Pod X3 Live
by tonebuff on 2009-03-12 10:46:42

Boy this new community is confusing....

• I am using a POD XT bean for home use and playing live, but am really considering the advantages of the Pod XT Live or the Pod X3 Live
  • I am looking for some feedback on the pros and cons of each for recording and playing live....

• I use a PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow and  Fender Tele '72 Thinline Reissue....

Re: Pod XT Live vs Pod X3 Live
by ChaChing on 2009-03-12 14:56:41

Hi,

Some of the advantages to the X3 Live over the XT Live:

- Built in Dual-Tone capability

- Full compliment of amp models (XT requires model pack expansion)

- 1/4" aux input to use a second guitar / instrument.

- Mic/XLR input for use with Mic Pre Models

- XLR/Direct outputs to send to a mixing board

- FX Loop

For more detailed info on both units' features, please see their product pages found here: http://line6.com/products/pod/

Line6Sach

by DarkZenGuitar on 2009-03-13 06:11:37

If you like to tweak, the X3 Live would be the way to go.  Dual Tone capability is nothing short of amazing.  I've been using Pod Farm and it adds a whole new level to creating tones.  The possibilities of going stereo, one amp on each side...imagine the sounds you could make....

Listen to these clips http://line6.com/podx3live/sounds.html

Thatbeing said....

I have the XTL and would highly recommend it.  Solid, easy to use, sounds great.  I prefer the look of the XTL over the X3L, but that's just me.

When I got mt XTL, there were some questions of build quality of the X3 but, I believe that's been resolved. There are other issues, some may matter very much, and if you go to the old forum you can see them-read up before you buy.

So, it comes down to a couple of things.  If you want the best sounding thing around, the X3L. The X3 is more powerful overall, has every model of amp, effect and bass/vocals and a bigger screen.  It also requires more work.  You'll have to program 2 amps per patch, unless you don't want to use dual tone.  You have 2 complete signal paths-mix anything with anything-too cool.  2 guitars, guitar and bass, vocals and guitar or one guitar with 2 complete setups. The possibilities are endless.

If you don't really enjoy tweaking, the XTL is 1/2 the work. The XTL is cheaper, built like a tank, a little easier to use, and I personally like the layout better, but that's just one of those IMHO things. It sounds great and is very powerful in its own right. I use it live all the time and it's great. If you want to keep it simple, this is the way to go.

Which one you choose also depends on a couple of other things-do you have one or two guitarists in your band? What kind of music are you playing?  Do you like simple and straightforward or complex and chaotic?  What is your style?

Why don't I have an X3L?

I really want an X3L but at this point I can't have a stereo setup-we have two guitars, we've found tones that work well together, we've got our mix down...man, if I add an X3L, I'll have 2 guitar sounds to fit in the mix-with 2 sounds to tweak every time...we'll have to get the balance again, for every patch change.... if I go stereo, we've got to figure out proper volumes for the all the instruments again (I'll be taking up more sonic space and possible volume with 2 rigs)....ack! 2 rigs...not gonna happen...can't lug another 4x12 around....so no matter how much I want a stereo dual tone rig, it would make my life more difficult.

This is the kinda stuff you've got to think about.

Good luck!

by tonebuff on 2009-03-13 08:02:06

DarkZen thanks for the great info.  It really helps a lot.

• Which one you choose also depends on a couple of other things-do you have one or two guitarists in your band? What kind of music are you playing?  Do you like simple and straightforward or complex and chaotic?  What is your style?

Most of what I play is in a pretty progressive worship band in our church - mostly rock, pop, and a little alternative styles.  I like things simple, but I've heard the pro and cons of the X3L and was more concerned about the reliability as opposed to the XTL.  Quite honestly, I really don't need that many options for amps/cabs and the vocal/bass options are not something I would use anytime soon, but maybe in the future....

I go right into the mixing board so I know either would be a great option.  Do you know if the sonic capabilities improved with the X3Live?  I hear some people raving about the Boss GT-10, but I've loved my XT.

Having something on the floor that is controllable is one of my main goals.  A simpler setup as opposed to bringing in my tube amp and pedals each week!

by Rowbi on 2009-03-13 08:04:57

the X3L has a higher sample rate for its amp silulations than the XTL, so it actually sounds...... well more accurate, I could say better (which to me it does sound better) but that is a subjective thing.

cheers

Rowbi

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-03-13 10:06:49

This page is good for a quick glance at the specs!

by DarkZenGuitar on 2009-03-14 11:27:01

I would say the specs are much better, the sound is excellent, it can sound better than the XTL because you can do dual tone, but if you're looking for a straightforward, make a few great sounds and play deal, I'd say get the XTL.  It's got a better track record with reliability, is less expensive, will save you time (seriously, dual tones can eat up a hell of  alot of time....).  You can always get the X3 in a couple of years if you find you want more.

I've heard the GT10-sounds great.  More similar to the X3 in capabilities.  I would not say it sounds better or worse, just different.  Personally, I prefer the Pod sounds and I think Line 6's interfaces are excellent.

by Darkdiego on 2009-09-29 22:37:37

Hi. I hope I can restart some of the discussion here. I've had the xtlive for a couple of years and I'm not entirely convinced of its sonic capabilities in terms of tube amp simulation. I mean, it's good but it's far from the real tubes. Of course, I've had the chance of comparing both sounds and also I've been playing guitar for more than 15 years (i believe this is not a minor detail when it comes to comparing sounds). It's hard to explain but the first strings sound thinner, there's no reaction when I change the position of my guitar's volume pot (with tube amps I can get different leves of overdrives while moving the pot), and there's something uncanny about the tail of the sound. It just seems to crackle and does not end naturally as opposed to tubes. Well, after reading many posts I suppose this is all to be expected from a technology that is not yet fully developed. My question is, how does the X3 Live compare to the XT live in thies respect. I'm not talking about the dual tones but about the fidelity of true tube modeling. I hope my question is not so confusing. What I'm trying to say is that I don't know if I should upgrade to the X3 or save my money (for quite some time) and go for an AXE FX. I know this unit is in another category but my main question is about the X3 compared to the XTlive. Also, I've seen many complaints about the reliability and the construction of the X3. Should I be worried about this? Well, I really look forward to some kind of help. Thanks.

Diego

by Mr_Arkadin on 2009-09-30 00:48:26

Well some say the X3 sounds better, but remember these are the same models from the XT range, so any advantage the sound has over the XT is based on sampling rate and not new modelling technology. Therefore i would say for you that it wouldn't be much of a leap as the amps are going to react in the same way. Actually a few people have tried just using the amps and then adding the cabs from an impulse program and found it sounds a whole lot better, so maybe it's the cabs that need re-modelling.

by Darkdiego on 2009-09-30 07:51:42

Thank you for your insight Mr_Arkadin. It is helpful. Basically my situation is that I enjoy my XT but I see that it doesn't sound as good as I would like to. If sample Rate is the only improvement, then you're right. It may not be that much of a leap. What would you do? Another thing, this idea of using cabs from an impulse program is new to me. In fact, I'm not even sure I know what impulse program means (I apologize, I'm from Argentina and English is not my native language) Could you please elaborate a little more? Or at least send me a couple of links so that I could find more info on this? Again, thank you very much for your time. Cheers.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2009-09-30 16:21:47

Well i'm not really the person to ask as i don't use it, but there is a technology called convolution (often used with reverb programs, so convolution reverb) which uses impulse responses from real cabinets (or real rooms and halls for the convolution reverb). This way you could use the XT's amp models, use No Cab as the cab selection, then in say Cubase open a convolution plugin and add an impulse from a cab. Some impulses i found of cabinets are here:

http://rekkerd.org/recabinet-website-launched-recabinet-v10-announced/

Pleasenote that these are just the impulses, to actually use them you need a convolution program. i don't really know which are good convolution programs though. Impulses are supposed to give a more realistic sound that some modelling techniques.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.