These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

An idea for a new product !!!
by litesnsirens on 2013-03-25 14:00:48

And Line 6 I give you full permission to use this idea and run with it.  How about a headphone amp with line 6 link?  6 to 8 channels or perhaps 2 versions, a 4 channel and an 8 channel.  You can assign monitor channels A, B, C or D to any of the headphone amp channels via line 6 link.  Good for recording sessions or for silent rehearsals.  Adds functionality to your M20d by turning it into a very sophisticated "jam hub".  It could probably be done for less money than a jam hub costs and makes the whole stage scape/source system that much more attractive when you can add the new Line 6 "Stagephone" headphone amp to the system.

Any other users like this idea?

Re: An idea for a new product !!!
by selbalicious on 2013-03-25 14:16:16

this is a GREAT idea.  Line6 needs to compete with the Behringer's and other manufacturers live in-ear headphone amp/distribution system offerings.  If the "headphone amp" or whatever the original poster was getting at, understood the "L6 Link" language, then it would seem that you could do "matrix mixing" and each of the individual headphone outputs could have its OWN discrete mix separate from all others.  Therefore, the lead singer could have a mix that has slightly more of their microphone, the guitarist/vocalist could have a mix with a tad more guitar and THEIR microphone, and so on and so on. 

I was JUST thinking of this the other day when considering the purchase of the M20D because I have to support up to FOUR musicians (as well as Front-of-House (FOH)) and while I can probably make do with the 4 monitor outputs of the M20D and a Behringer headphone amp, I would MUUUUCH rather be giving all my money to Line6 to support a companion product to the M20D.

So here's +1 vote for litesnsirens new product idea!  Great idea!

Sincerely,

Kevin B. Selby

by silverhead on 2013-03-25 15:10:36

That's a good idea.

Meantime, I wonder if using adapters with the existing M20d monitor outputs would be acceptable. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/XLR-Female-To-Male-Adapter/dp/B0002ZPK5I

....">http://www.amazon.com/XLR-Female-To-Male-Adapter/dp/B0002ZPK5I">http://www.amazon.com/XLR-Female-To-Male-Adapter/dp/B0002ZPK5I

....with another 1/4"-to-1/4" connector to the headphone plug. Or maybe there's a female XLR adapter with a 1/4" female jack.

Using L6 Link would be better, of course, since you would still keep the analog Monitor outputs available for normal purposes, but the adapter approach could provide an immediate capability in situations where you don't need regular monitors (everybody using headphones). You can control the monitor output levels in the M20d to manage any leveling issues.

by litesnsirens on 2013-03-26 04:28:24

Do you think these outputs would directly power headphones?  If so then such a connector would probably work especially if you would find the female to female.

by dboomer on 2013-03-26 08:33:22

I haven't seen line level headphones for 30 years.  The line levels will drive devices with an input impedance of about 10k or better, but how loud they might get would depend on their sensitivity.  I don't think you'll find much to your liking here.

by litesnsirens on 2013-03-26 10:37:08

Thanks dboomer, that's kind of what I was thinking was that those line level outs wouldn't drive headphones.  But on another note, how about my line 6 link headphone amp?  Is it an idea you might take to your design team?

by dboomer on 2013-03-26 19:57:20

It's a good idea but it would likely be too expensive on its own.  The cost to add L6 link in the speakers is minimal because all of the digital circuitry is already there in the speaker system but to add it on its own to a headphone amp would be costly.  But anything is possible :)

by litesnsirens on 2013-03-27 04:35:18

Admittedly I don't have any indea about how the magic is implemented and therefore no idea how much it would cost.  I just know that you have it in the speakers, the M20d and the HD500 (I'm sure there are some products that have it that I'm missing), so I thought it might be possible.  The r.eality is with only 2 other forum members thinking it's a good idea, it might not be worth the effort for Line 6

by silverhead on 2013-03-27 07:56:27

I wouldn't place much weight on the fact that only two other users responded here. There's so much spam here these days that it's hard for an individual post like this to get much visibility. I think it's a good idea despite the apparent lack of shout-outs.

You've been around here for a while, so I suspect you already know the official way to make suggestions for new products and features.... but just in case.....

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

May">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

Maybe worth submitting this request even though it may not be viable for the reasons dboomer says.

by litesnsirens on 2013-03-27 08:34:44

Good point, silverhead, I'll fire it into the product feedback section.

by litesnsirens on 2013-03-27 10:09:39

Actually now that I think of it, since for a silent rehearsal you wouldn't need the main mix you could do up to 5 separate mixes, if our yet to be designed headphone amp had at least 5 channels.  Therefore it might be best to just make a 5 channel and have L6 link in as well as out/thru, so if you have more than 5 musicians you can just chain them up and they can start sharing mixes. And really how hard could that be, after you have 4 or 5 mixes set up, for numbers 6 and up just sit there with your ipad and let them try the existing mixes until they find one they like.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.