These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD500 Hiss/White Noise Issue
by DeathBeak on 2013-03-27 00:24:20

Having hissing/white noise issues with my pod hd500. Here is how I have approached it. I have a single effects loop pedal plugged into the amp and my guitar. The loop adds in the pod hd and takes it out. When the pod hd is in the loop there is a distinct hiss/white noise, straight into the amp no hiss. The pod hd is running in bypass when I did this. I have also tried it with no effects on, all output modes, amp/line switch (both settings), noise gate at the end of my chain, plugging into different amps, and even the master volume all the way down/off, I Still Get hiss!! I have plugged it into different outlets in different households, tried plugging my amp and hd into different power circuits still noise. I have come to the grim conclusion that this pod hd500 is going to have white noise no matter what. This is quite sad because I am obsessed everything else it does so well. I am hoping by some slight chance there is still a fix that someone on this forum might be able to share. The last thing I need to try possibly is takin my amp in to gc and trying a different one to see if I get the same results.

Re: Pod HD500 Hiss/White Noise Issue
by medbad5150 on 2013-03-27 10:36:38

Mate, I'm sure the noise gate is meant to be the first in chain, I have it on all mine. Turn it off and I buzz too

by DeathBeak on 2013-04-05 13:03:22

I know that mate........ what I'm trying to say is that the noise gate doesn't take it out, whether its at begining of chain or end (I only tried it at the end in case it was a amp-sim or fx block that was causing it). It is also not guitar buzz its white noise/hiss. All these tests have been done with and without guitar plugged in, and with volume my volume pedal up and down same noise no matter what. The guitar doesn't have anything to do with it. The only thing that changes the noise is the master volume so far as I can tell.

by TheRealZap on 2013-04-05 13:52:15

i suspect that your loop is looking for instrument level and the hd is at line level or vice versa... i usually prefer to stay away from using the loop return and just go out of the HD and into the effects return on the amp.

by GTLazer on 2013-04-08 02:30:14

Have you tried different cables and/or cable directions? Also, have you tried other pedals in the loop (preferably something with a gain stage), as it sounds to me like the loop pedal (or at least something before the POD) is adding the noise.

As a side note, are you using a loop pedal so you can true bypass the POD? I know the POD is buffered, but it's fairly clean, and you could set the tuner mode to bypass and use that instead. Just a thought.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.