These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: GearBox

High Frecuency Noises from USB connection on UX8 and POD X3Live
by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-07-17 17:16:20

Hi:

I'm experiencing two similarily annoying problems with my Line6 gear and USB connection.

The UX8 make a high pitched noise with some kind of cyclic pattern, and the X3Live makes just high pitched noise.

Looking at the forums, I tried the "Balanced Cables Solution" with no luck on the UX8, and seems to be no solution to the X3Live noise.

I have very common gear: iMac 2.0 Intel running leopard, Behringer Xenyx mixer, Logic Pro, Gearbox, Alesis passive monitors driven by an Alesis Amp. TRS Balanced cables from the UX8 to the mixer, and from the mixer to the amp.

I run the computer default audio (alarms, iTunes, Quicktime) through the headphone output of the iMac to the mixer tape in, and the "Studio Audio" through any of the Line6 units.

The problem gets worse when using "default audio" at the same time as the studio stuff.

How can I get rid of this?

Please help!!

Re: High Frecuency Noises from USB connection on UX8 and POD X3Live
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-07-17 20:38:37

First of all, try isolating the problem.

You may find that there is something like a ground loop via the USB that occurs when several USB devices are connected to the computer.  Some notebook power supplies can also cause what you have described.  Does the noise remain if running on battery power?

Is the noise present when only having the POD X3 Live or UX8 connected with no other USB devices connected?

If the noise is not there when only the UX8 or POD X3 Live is connected, then the problem may be due to some interaction (like a ground loop) with your other devices.

Cheers,

Crusty

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-07-18 14:26:34

Thanks for your help, but... My computer is not a Powerbook or portable, so no battery power is available from the computer itself, it's an iMac. Would have to be UPS Power, and I tried that without success (impractical by the way). The noises don´t seem like ground loop noises though (like 60Hz or relative noises) but high frecuency toned noises above 12kHz and with a patterned ¨sweep¨ in the case of the UX8 and a steady high frecuency noise on the X3L. I will try changing temporarily my power source from another phase in the house´s grounding. I´ll let you know the results.

I tried taking all USB hardware out (even the keyboard and mouse), connecting the UX8 directly to the power amp without the mixer, same results.

Are they ¨better¨ USB cables do you know of?. I usually buy off the shelf USB cables and they gave no problems with my digidesign MBox in the past. Im trying to avoid digidesign stuff because I dread Protools sofware, and Logic doesn't take full advantage of the digidesign hardware (no SP/DIF inputs). So, if Line6 stuff is more "sensitive" to cheap USB cables, maybe that's a start.

Let me know if you hear of any other causes.

Thanks a lot!

Gonzalo

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-07-18 19:05:58

It would be a good idea to try USB cables that have a ferrite filter in them.

The USB type "ground loop" that others have experienced has not been a 60 cylcle hum but a higher frequency sound, but it was steady - not sweeping.

Give the better cables a go and see what happens.

Cheers,

Crusty

by ricksox on 2009-07-20 14:40:46

Hello,

You said you tried balanced cables? Are we talking XLR here? I've experienced high pitched noises when connecting the UX8 and the X3 to certain mixers and using XLR cables cleared the problem up.

Line6Miller

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-07-20 23:36:33

Hello Line6Miller and Crusty_Old_Rocker:

Thanks you all for your interest in my question. In answer to your query if I was using XLR cables, I'm afraid not. My mixer is a Behringer Xenyx 502 which uses TRS balanced connections. The power amplifier uses TRS balanced cables, and also does the UX8, so it seems like there is too a small probability that this can be the problem. It would be a terrible design problem for three different brands, he he.  Just for the sake of trying, I changed cables for brand new TRS balanced cables. Still no luck.

I will be as specific as I can, because I have made some changes, and it's probably easier to address the problem with more information on my studio equipment.

Computer:

Apple iMac (white 17") 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 2.5 GB RAM, running MacOS X 10.5.7

Peripherals:

Wacom Graphics Tablet, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Apple Keyboard.

Audio:

Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer. Line6 UX8. Alesis RA150 Power Amp, Alesis Monitor One mk2. Ocassionally the Line6 POD X3 Live, not used simultaneously with the UX8.

Recording Software:

Logic Pro 8. Line6 Gearbox standalone.

Bits and Pieces:

USB ferrite insulated cables for the audio gear. Monster TRS balanced cables. All electrical connections grounded (now certified).

Description of the problem in detail:

On the UX8, whenever the computer activates the audio for iTunes, VLC, Gearbox, Logic, Quicktime, etc. starts a combination of too different noises, beginning with a steady very high pitched noise later combined with a wave of "fluttering sweep" noise, also in high frecuency, but lower pitched than the steady noise.

What I tried without success:

Computer to UX8 to Power Amp., no other USB peripherals. Changed all audio and USB cables, (non balanced cables makes it a lot worse).

Looking at the different results, what makes the problem less evident is to direct all audio from the computer to the UX8, then to the mixer and to the power amp. The worst result was to separate the default computer audio (beeps, iTunes, Quicktime) to the computer's headphone out, into the tape inputs of the mixer, and the UX8's into normal inputs. Strange as it may seem, the noises still come out from the speakers even with the volume knobs on the Power Amp turned totally on the 0 position (ccw) and the mixer turned off. I'm suspecting some kind of design flaw on the iMac's USB system, it's really too weird. For the noise to come out, you only need the Power Amp Turned on (no volume needed), the UX8 and the computer running any audio software. All else can be off, disconnected, out of the room, you name it. The noise is not present on headphones, nor from the mixer or the UX8 headphone outs, but, if I try to bypass the audio outputs using the headphones out to the mixer or to the power amp., the noise comes in again. I still have one more test to do. Changing the computer. I'll try my girlfriend's MacMini, and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Any other thoughts welcome

Cheers!

Gonzalo

by hwhalen on 2009-07-21 14:42:02

As a follow up to the suggestion that you need to identify the problem I offer...

For the UX8. Unmute all outputs. Unplug the USB connector from the computer or turn the computer off.

Use a mic, a guitar or a keyboard and connect it to the UX8.

Set the level. Play. Your output is routed to a mixer, which is routed to an amp if I understand correctly

If your cables are clean you should have no unexplained noise.

Potential audio cable issue eliminated. One down... Good luck

by AndyParedes on 2009-07-22 09:26:57

Hello,

Did you ensure that all powered units are connected to the same power strip? Did you try all the USB ports on your Mac?   Did you try the system on a different power circuit (i.e. a different room) to see if this made a difference?  Please try a different computer and a different location and let us know if you can replicate the problem, and be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers!

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-07-24 06:29:57

Hi Line6 Andy:

Thanks, I don't have another computer to try yet. I did the tests on a different house, all the USB ports, still no good. But I got a sample of the noise.

Here it is.

Chalo

by AndyParedes on 2009-07-24 09:57:34

Hello,

Please let us know how it turns out with another system.

by elxzilcho on 2009-07-27 00:03:44

I had the same problem try getting a better USB cable i used the one from my MIDI keyboard and it took that noise away.

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-07-30 14:40:28

Sorry for the delay. I've been out touring for a while, an while at it, told the sound engineer about this, and he told me that he got rid of a variety of noises in his recording studio by adding additional ferrite "chokes" on all his USB cables. He's a digidesign user, but ran into different kinds of noise related problems during his studio assembly.

While he's not a Line6 user, maybe we're facing some interference related noise. I'll let you know what results I get. I'm buying ferrite chokes today.

Gonzalo

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-07-30 14:54:43

Hi hwhalen:

I tried the cable test. Result: No computer, no noise.

And still no noise if I don't open any sound related software. Unless I start Gearbox, or Logic, or even iTunes, there's no noise. Once it get started on any audio application, the noise appears, and stays even if the power amp have the volume faders in the "0" position. Some crazy electron storm is going on. I'll try the choked USB cables later, see what happens.

Thanks for your help!.

Best!

Gonzalo

by Reevzy on 2009-08-10 15:45:19

+1 Crusty old rocker

Of all the things I tried to get rid of that horrible noise, it was the ferrite barrell that did the trick!

I just used a printer cable with the barrell built in, now everything's awesome again!

Cheers

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-08-11 13:11:15

Unfortunatetly, the noise on my system is still there.

After a lot of testing, there are things that makes the noise less evident, but using my current gear (listed above) the noise is still there.

Best case scenario was achieved by using ferrite choked USB cables and balanced audio cables all along the signal chain, redirecting all the computer audio outputs to the UX8 and avoiding Tone Direct monitoring (Gearbox, POD Farm) when not necessary by using the mixer as a monitoring stage before the UX8. Now Logic don't trigger the noise anymore, only when using it with Gearbox or POD Farm.

I'm really dissapointed at this moment since I'd hate to change my interface to my old MBox again. I still have the old purple iMac with ProTools 5.1 as a reminder to keep me from doing this.

Someone in the staff really need to put some attention to this and find a cause and a solution, there's another thread describing the same problem without a convincing answer. The solutions so far are trial and error tests without any technical feedback, that may, or may not work.

This thread: http://uk.line6.com/community/thread/4684;jsessionid=077941F6E4C474207A6B00E2D7BEB3A1

Maybe this are clues: Noise appears when starting Tone Monitoring. It doesn't get in the recordings. It's present even with the volume knob on both the UX8 and the amplifier in the 0 position while gearbox is running (CoreAudio maybe?). Didn't get into my Bose powered speakers, using RCA cables and a 1/4 adapter (not balanced!). When using the 1/8 headphones computer output into the tape monitor input in the mixer, it gets much worse (that's how i recorded it). Balanced cables reduced it a lot. USB ferrite choked cables helped too. I tried taking off all USB peripherals, and tried connecting them all (printer, tablet, another mouse, even an old ADB to USB adapter) and there was no difference.

Please, don't ditch me, I need help.

Best!

Chalo

by hwhalen on 2009-08-11 15:04:41

Well, I'm not a Mac user but...

The issue appears to be USB device related.

This similiar kind of issue causes clicks and pops on USB audio devices in Windows OS on PCs.

On a PC, each USB controller can have several USB ports.

They share the controller, but the interrupts  (IRQ on PC) and memory address locations should not be shared with other devices.

On laptops, it is common to have the video driver share an interrupt with a USB port.

This is known to cause problems with USB sound devices connected to that USB port.

So...

Can you determine if the interrupt for the USB port is shared with another device? If you can and it is shared->

Can you choose a USB port that does not share any resources? If you can not->

Can you install an additional USB controller in the machine? If you can then->

I suggest you do that.

If not you need to find a way to ensure that the UX8 is the ONLY device on the USB port in question.

I have a Tablet PC on which the internal sound card is very noisy due to the Human Interface Device(HID) being an internal USB port  implementation.

If this does not make sense for a Mac user, then I apologise.

Good luck.

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-08-12 10:38:27

Hi hwhalen:

Thanks for the help! Aprecciate all of your tips guys.

Leaving aside the hideous noise, my studio is a lot better now.

I tried taking away all USB hardware, leaving just the UX8, and the noise is there. Mac hardware is not that different now, so all what you said makes sense, but it seems that this noise is not really related to the USB circuit, since it only comes in when activating ToneDirect monitoring software, or audio software through the UX8. It doesn't get into the recordings, making me feel that the problem is due to some kind of interference between the computer and the monitoring system, after the recording phase. I tried powered speakers, and worked fine, I'm beginning to blame the independent "power amplifier-speakers monitoring system", but is a choice I've made since I want to use various kinds of monitors using the same amp in the future. Probably a choice most bigger studios would want, since some engineers like Genelec style monitors, others go to Yamaha NS10's, auratones, Tannoys... you know...

I'm guessing that the problem must be MacOS X related. Core Audio sample rate conversions, AD/DA converter software, something that kicks in during the launch of audio applications. I got system sounds, beeps, even finder played audio and vídeos through the UX8 without noise. Maybe I'm barking at the wrong tree, since Line6 didn't write that software, and makes sense that the MBox don't act since it uses their own audio processing software, instead of MacOS's.

Thanks for all the USB info though. Good to know.

Best!

Gonzalo

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-11-04 11:35:31

Any news on the awful noise? I've managed to get it very low "upgrading-rewiring" my studio, but it is still there, and is very annoying while mixing.

Does anyone got effectively rid of this noise? I need procedures, tips, or any kind of counsel. I plan to make my studio grow up, I need to have reliable equipment. Please!

Chalo

RE: High Frecuency Noises from USB connection on UX8 and POD X3Live
by ricksox on 2009-11-04 11:46:08

Hello,

I still think this is a ground loop issue attributed to the way you have your gear set up. The only thing I can do at this point is offer to get the UX8 back to us here in California so we can have a look at it. Who knows, maybe you do have a hardware problem. Please let me know if you are willing to do this. You can call us directly at the number below to speak to our service department.

(818)575-3600

Please let me know if this answer has been helpful. Thanks.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: High Frecuency Noises from USB connection on UX8 and POD X3Live
by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-11-04 12:26:54

Hi Line6Miller:

Thanks for the swift reply! Nice!

I tried another brand new unit from the local dealer. Still got the noise. I live in Costa Rica, so sending the unit to california is not really worth it. By the way, my absence from the forum was because I went to the dealer with the problem. Nice support from them, they are called Bansbach, and they are doing a great job with the brand here. They gave me another unit to try, as well as a UX2 unit. I didn't get the noise from the UX2, but the UX8 "test" unit from the store still have it. I would like you to hear the sampled noise I've uploaded in the forum, because it doesn't seem like grounding noise, but I'm willing to try fixing a ground loop if you have procedures in order to do that (i'm willing to try anything, by the way). I'm pretty confident now that the unit is fine, and the problem is in my installation. My problem is that my installation is not very different from other user's I've read in other forums. I have a brand new AC grounded installation in my studio, but still have the old installation on the wall. I use a regulated UPS from UPC, in case you need to know. You might be on the right track on the ground loop, because I got some noise from the POD X3 Live as well, a completely different noise, but definitively a USB related noise, because it goes off when I unplug the USB from the unit. But I'm not an electrical engineer or anything like it. Any advice here would be nice.

Best!

Chalo

by ricksox on 2009-11-05 08:34:10

Hello,

Where do you have the clip uploaded so I can hear it?

Does this noise sound sort of like a high pitched squeak? Like a dog whistle?

Line6Miller

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-11-05 08:40:24

Hello:

Sorry, It's in the 8th instance (entry) in this forum. It's a cyclic kind of noise going together with a steady high pitched "dog whistle" kind.

Chalo

by ricksox on 2009-11-06 08:24:49

That sounds like an impedance issue. I've experienced it on our UX8 here when I plugged the outputs of the UX8 into our Bheringer mixer. I think it may be a compatibility issue somewhere along the way between these two devices.

Have you tried removing the mixer from the equation and plugging your monitors directly into the outputs of the UX8?

Line6Miller

by ricksox on 2009-11-09 08:16:05

Hello,

Just following up to see if removing the mixer from the chain may have solved your problem.

Line6Miller

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-11-09 12:31:47

Hi Line6Miller:

Sorry for the delay. I took some time during the weekend to perform some tests.

I've ended removing everything from the signal chain but the UX8 and the computer.

Using my bose personal monitors (the computer kind, self powered) connected to the headphone out 1 from the UX8, still have the noise. A very low version, but is present. Same with the UX8 directly to the Power Amp.

The really odd thing about this is, using my studio headphones the noise is not present. It apparently happens with amplified gear. Even from the mixer, the headphones don't get the noise. You can try that with your system.

It leaks even with the volume of the Power Amp turned to "0" position.

Thanks!

Gonzalo

by ricksox on 2009-11-12 08:14:52

Hello,

I can't reproduce this on my UX8 here in the office. One question though, you get this noise when using both the headphone outs and the analog outputs?

Line6Miller

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-11-12 16:56:12

Hi:

Yes, the noise is present but only in the amplified output. It doesn't get on the headphones.

Hope this information helps. I'm suspecting the iMac's sound system, the USB interface, or something around that even software related. The UX8 standalone as a mixer is clean, even using the beringher mixer, phantom power, an everything electrical I can think of going through it. I connected 3 microphones, two of them passive, one with phantom power, an electrocoustic guitar (made some hiss, but because it is a cheap guitar), an electric guitar, both my basses, all of them "live". No noise.

Then I connected the USB, started POD farm, and the noise kicked in.

Thanks a lot for your time. I'm getting a little desperate here.

Gonzalo

by ricksox on 2009-11-16 09:26:16

Thanks for that information. That tells me that this could have somethign to do with the way the driver is working. The good news is that I have another end user located in Florida that is having the exact same problem as you are. I am going to try and get that unit back to us for further testing. If I discover anything I will let you know. Thanks.

Line6Miller

by ricksox on 2009-11-30 10:13:37

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still investigating this issue so thanks for hanging in there with me.

Line6Miller

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-11-30 11:07:36

Thank you!

Any info that can help would be great.

I really like Line6 stuff, and besides you are very "guitar oriented' your bass products are really nice. Being a bass player, it's sometimes hard to really get good sounding stuff for a reasonable price. I'm very happy, and I hope that this little problem gets through so you can help more people.

Best!

Gonzalo

by kenrash on 2009-12-07 08:45:55

Toneport UX8 high pitched noise here as well.  As described, it becomes much more apparent when opening Line6's own software.

I'm using Windows PC and iMac, balanced cables to Mackie HR824s.  Please fix this!  The UX8 would be a very useful tool in my studio.  The price/performance, especially with Pod Farm Platinum bundled can't be touched but the HF noise is very distracting and I may have to return it.

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-12-07 08:57:17

Hi:

Seems like line6miller is working hard on the problem. I wouldn't give up on the system yet.

Chalo

by kenrash on 2009-12-08 08:35:56

Hey Chalo,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have some time before my trial expires so I'll wait a bit to see if they fix it.

Meanwhile, no noise in the headphones.

-Ken

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-12-08 09:16:53

Hi:

Yes, it doesn't happen on headphones. Is related with amplified signal.

Chalo

by ricksox on 2009-12-23 08:43:33

Hello,

I spoke to engineering about this issue and they agreed that they believe this is a ground loop issue of some kind. Take me back to your system set up. Are you running on a laptop PC or a desktop?

Just so you know, I received a unit back from another end user here in the US and was not able to reproduce this noise on the same UX8 that was giving him issues when connected to his system.

He also was able to get his hands on another UX8 and it gave him the same exact noise issues.

That's why I believe you have some sort of grounding or shielding issue.

One thing you may want to try if you have not already, is plugging all of your gear (including computer and monitor) into the same power strip or outlet. This is a common tip for avoiding ground loop issues.

Line6Miller

by GonzaloTrejos on 2009-12-23 14:23:36

Hi Line6Miller

I'm using a desktop Mac (iMac). I will try this tip. I'm not connecting the Power Amplifier to the same outlet as the computer, mainly because the computer is connected to a UPS which cannot sustain the Amp the UX8 and the computer at once. Since the problem is not a UX8 hardware related one, I will hunt and destroy the noise by electrical means.

Thanks for all your help.

Chalo

P.D. If by "shielding" you mean ferrite shielded USB cables, I already have tried that. If there's another kind of shielding, let me know.

by kenrash on 2010-01-05 16:27:04

Line 6 can't reproduce the noise, and nothing I do makes the noise go away.  FWIW, it only happens when I open up an audio program.

Two systems, iMac and PC, balanced, unbalanced, all plugged in to the same outlet, different outlets, doesn't matter.

by Jman76 on 2010-01-29 23:42:21

Good morning guys, I purchased an UX8 yesterday experiencing exactly the same issue over here with an UX8, however, if I use the same setup and merely use an UX2 instead of the UX8 the problem is gone. I've tried a couple of different option as the the thread suggested but found no solution getting rid of the noise.

I use a very simple home setup: Intel Imac 2Ghz, UX8 and Samson Resolv Active Active Studio Monitors.

Please give me some feedback or advise if a solution has been found for this issue.

by Jman76 on 2010-01-29 23:43:26

Good morning guys, I purchased an UX8 yesterday experiencing exactly the same issue over here with an UX8, however, if I use the same setup and merely use an UX2 instead of the UX8 the problem is gone. I've tried a couple of different option as the the thread suggested but found no solution getting rid of the noise.

I use a very simple home setup: Intel Imac 2Ghz, UX8 and Samson Resolv Active Active Studio Monitors.

Please give me some feedback or advise if a solution has been found for this issue.

by Manhattanx170 on 2010-01-31 14:59:48

Re: UX8: High pitch noise whenever opening any audio applications, MAC OSX

I hate to be a part of this post, because I really love my UX8, Gearbox, and Pod Farm. But unfortunately, I am having the exact same problem.  Something else I've noticed, when audio is not playing, but any audio application itself is open, the same high pitch frequency is audible in my headphones if I crank the headphones up beyond normal listening levels.  If I have the volume in my headphones at a normal level, it sounds fine, nothing noticeable. As soon as I power up the monitors, the high pitched frequency is is in the monitors, but only if any audio application is open. Or again, if I crank my headphones, exact same frequency. Any update on this issue? 

by kenrash on 2010-01-31 19:34:58

Line 6, this product has problems.  We would sure appreciate an update.

by GonzaloTrejos on 2010-02-01 15:10:37

Hi:

I'm the originator of this post, and I've halfway solved the problem.

Seems to me that is electrical related. I had to ask my electrician for an entire electrical phase just for my home studio, and the noise is gone.

The same electrician said that any place in the same electrical phase that have dimmers, "energy saving" and tube fluorescent lights, vaccum cleaner, CRT TV, etc. would probably have some kind of noise on audio units including the UX8.

So, my solution was like killing the dog to get rid of the fleas, and I don't know really what was the cause of the noise. My entire rig is silent as a graveyard now, and I found it useful in the end by getting rid of other less unpleasant noises as well, but not too many people are willing to rewire their homes to fix a unit's apparent flaw.

I did all sort of tests on the unit, and at home made me build a new electrical wiring from scratch to wipe the noise, because everything else failed to get rid of it, but using it in a couple of gigs as a sequencer router, away from home, with normal club wiring, the noise was not there. So much for the electrician's theory! A club with 20 TV sets, dimmers, neon lights... Weird!

I'd say that it would be a good idea to re-post the topic, so someone at Line6 finds out how to really get rid of the problem without having to spend more money on the house's wiring than the price of the unit itself.

I'll post my sample of the noise there!

by joe_rawls on 2010-02-04 06:02:24

I had the same issue.....

I found that the Mic channels 5 & 8 are hot even when nothing is plugged in to the channels.

I muted Mic Channels 5 & 8 and the high pitched noise went away.

The sad part is I feel I just lost two Mic Pre-Amps but at leased I got rid of that God Awful noise!

Hope this helps...... may not be the same issue all of you are having but it solved mine.

by GonzaloTrejos on 2010-03-16 16:22:07

Hi Fellas:

It's definitively some kind of electrical interference with preamp gear. I've disconnected and removed systematically all devices connected in the system, and the only thing that got rid of the noise was to:

Have a surge suppressor strip connected to the wall, all miscellaneous gear on the strip, the UPS connected to the strip, and the computer, UX8 and Power Amp. connected to the UPS. Direct all computer audio through the UX8 and leave the mixer out of the equation, being the only variable item that I can live without.

Seems "preamp" related then. I've connected an old Gemini DJ preamp instead of the mixer and also makes noise. Changed the Power Amp to powered speakers, with the mixer or the preamp, and the noise was there.

So, my system is noise free now, and mixer free...

Gonzalo

by FlatLineStudios on 2010-04-19 16:28:10

Hello all who have read every post and are still left with a sense of ???

I have the same noise, only starts/stops when I use Gear Box, (I don't use other monitoring programs, recording done with a separate studio output interface). As long as nothing is plugged into the outs when recording, I am golden. (defeats the porpoise of the hardware though.)

Tips to Try:

- Shielded High-End USB cable on it's own USB card.

- for studios: Pull fresh wiring from the breaker for your audio and separate pull for your computer. (I used armored cable)

- some devices can receive line noise when when not sharing grounds.

- Power conditioners can help if your in an area with oscillating line voltage, especially when the sin-wave starts expanding.

- Recording studios should really have their own wiring and grounding.

- on the road musicians: Heavy Duty power strips, high quality cabling and not routing audio around power will reduce most noise.

- (plausible tip but questionable) small washer magnets placed in line can help with line noise. (herd the tip from a master electrician friend.

For me I have this problem, unsolved if I use GearBox. But one constant I do see, and am sad to say; I have a Behringer Mixer UB2222FX. The Behringer might have grounding issues, or other compatability issues, because I also get humming when connected to the UX8. This is a good sign of line noise cause by a grounding.

My advice to Behringer users. Add an isolator or insert a pre-amp between the UX8 and the mixer, or try a different mixer (ask a friend).

Your Recording Studio Friend,

Joseph Lang -FlatLine Studios-

[Edit] add - On my Behringer Mixer, on the back are FX/Sends (tip send / ring return) I purchased an FX Snake (a series of 1/4 Y cables that share a ground and ring goes to one end and tip to another)    This reduced nearly all of my line noise, HOWEVER I now have volume control issues, but that is because the inputs are LINE inputs, according to the UX8 hardware via GearBox, You may have to manually change them to Mic/Inst to change this.     The volume issue is CLIPing input and low output sound, sounds over driven. But no high pitched noise and GearBox is still not being used, so therefore no problem with my Behringer mixer.

by sicochoco on 2011-03-05 03:06:43

I have the same issue, I'm in MAC OS 10.6.6, on the latest 64-bit kernel driver..

So I  made a lot of tests,  and my results are:

It has nothing to do with electrical things or fans or monitors or amps.

This is only on the Main output, not on inputs and it is not recorded at all so that tells.

This   hiss is only present on the main outputs and not in the headphones of   main outputs,  I noticed that its volume is constant and completely   independent from the main volume knob, and it only happens in channels  1  and 2, main outputs, as a matter of fact, the hiss keeps sounding  when you start any app that uses the UX8 on  "main outputs" channels 1  and 2 even when the sound output on your app is on 3 and   4...strange.........so for now I'll avoid main outputs for everything,   its not the best solution since the main output knob and mute button on   the front become useless, though I can use the main output headphones   for cue monitoring on ableton live......good thing that from the UX8 I   connect to a mixer which then go to the speakers, that way I can  control  the UX8 Ch 3-4 volume output on the mixer, so for now maybe  the  solution is to use the other 6 outputs.

This  result tell my logic that it is soft code related, if not it would be  present in all outputs or at least all the time and not only when the  driver is used by apps.

Don't   know if this is also present on the 32 bit version, didn't even tried   that, I saw no point in downgrading to 32-bit, so my UX8 was unused for  2  months until this latest driver.

Are the symptoms the same on your side?

I hope this tests info helps to get this fixed on the next driver update. ASAP. please L6.

S.

by Tomco on 2011-10-29 10:55:51

Just to be clear.. The high quality usb cables with the ferrite filters did not resolve the bug.

Dang it!

by ElectricRay on 2011-11-22 14:40:50

Gonzalo you have the patience of a saint.

I have the same issue - the identical noise as recorded by Gonzalo. It doesn't occur on the UX2, and I use my UX8 as a mixer/preamp and run direct to a power amp and out to speakers. It doesn't show up on the cans or in recordings so i am having trouble believing its a grounding thing. I get it the moment i switch the UX8 - I don't anymore run gearbox.

L6 doens't seem to have posted any permanent fix but i see the Ux8 has been discontinued.

That's one BIG gripe i have with Line6, by the way: Fellas: STOP discontinuing and reissuing hardware! I have had it happen about five times ove rthe last eight years: POD, Pod Pro, Floorboard, Gearbox and now UX8. STICK WITH A PRODUCT can't you?

by Bondra on 2013-01-29 13:56:06

I got exactly this issue too. But I got tired of trying to figure the problem out and started to accept this REALLY ANNOYING highpitched noise. But damn it bugs me to hell!

So, what's happening?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.