These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

32Gb SD CARD - Reading WAV files recorded on M20d
by malcevansmusic on 2013-03-27 14:49:38

Hi.

I've recently bought a M20d and a 32Gb SD card to record audio from gigs that I do and run. I've successfully recorded a test song which has resulted in a vocal wav file and a guitar wav file.

I've tried inserting the SD card into my iMac and a Windows 7 laptop, but neither seem to recognise the card.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on and how I fix the issue?

Thank you!

Malc

Re: 32Gb SD CARD - Reading WAV files recorded on M20d
by silverhead on 2013-03-27 16:04:19

My suggestion won't save/recover the files you've already recorded, but if you don't find another solution for that you might try this:

Make sure your iMac/PC can handle HD SD cards (research, or try another HD card). Then format the SD card on your iMac/PC before using it on the M20d. You need to use FAT32 format. The M20d should recognize this, and the computer surely will since it was formatted there.

PS: One method to save the recorded files is to play them back on the M20d and connect the M20d audio outputs to a separate audio interface. Record the playback to your DAW.

by malcevansmusic on 2013-03-29 00:58:00

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how to format a card that the iMac or PC can't see, but will see what I can do. The second option you talk about it a good idea, if not perfect! I had the idea of plugging my SD card into a camera and then plugging the camera into a USB port.

Is there a way of transferring the audio files from the SD card to a memory stick on the M20d?

by litesnsirens on 2013-03-29 04:50:46

If you put the drive into your imac then go to Applications then Utilities then open "Disk Utility" you can format your drive in there.  You'll see the SD drive listed in the left pane.  Click on it to high-light it and then click the "erase" tab.  Don't do this unless you are prepared to lose all the data on the disk, this is simply the step that should be taken in the first place to ensure the compatibility between both the M20d and your mac and PC.  Once you click on the erase tabe on the Format Drop Box click and choose MS-DOS(FAT).  In the Box below that you can name the SD card if you like.  Then when you are happy that you have all that set up you can go ahead and click erase in the bottom right corner.  AGAIN - if you have files on your SD card that you don't want to lose - DON'T DO THIS!! this is for future reference so that before recording you can ensure that your card is readable.  You'll probably have to find another immediate solution to get these files off that card before you can re-format it.

Having said all that, if you were able to record on the card in the first place, it should have already been in FAT 32 so I don't understand why your mac wouldn't be able to read the card.  Maybe there are different ways to format in FAT32 that the mac can't read???  I'm not really that up to speed on all the formatting business.  I'll try to do some more testing and research to see if I can figure it out.

by litesnsirens on 2013-04-06 20:30:16

Well I have to say, it's too bad these forums have been down.  I actually tried formatting an SD card in FAT 32 and the M20d won't read it.  It can play mp3s from the tweak screen but it won't recognize it on the record screen.  So my apologies to anyone who may have tried to format their SD cards in FAT 32 on their mac, it's supposed to work but I can't seem to get it to.  On the upside, I bought another SD card and without formatting it at all I can record on it and my mac can see all the files.

by malcevansmusic on 2013-04-07 01:53:49

Thanks for your advice! It turns out that I had a dodgy SD card (despite it being brand new).

The M20d could read it. The windows laptop did eventually read it once or twice. The mac couldn't read it at all.

I found an old SD card and tried that. It was recognised by the M20d, the mac and the laptop.

I've returned the SD card for a refund and since ordered a 32Gb USB stick.

by litesnsirens on 2013-04-19 08:49:16

I have a support ticket started from when the forums were down, my last post was after the forums opened back up.  We've been doing some troubleshooting to try to figure out the issue, because the reality is I should be able to take an sd card or USB stick format it in FAT32 and use it in my M20d.

One thing I decided to try was to take my SD card and try it in another M20d at my local music store.  It worked perfectly.  But I noticed by the record interface that it wasn't 1.10 firmware, so it's either my M20d or, it's the new firmware.  I'm waiting to hear if there is some way to roll back the firmware to try out my SD card, and hopefully isolate the problem even further.  I should point out I can't get the M20d to see a USB stick that I've formatted myself either, in record mode. 

If its a faulty M20d it's an easy enough fix, I'll just exchange it.  If its the firmware, line 6 needs to know so they can work on it.   In the meantime I'll try maybe reinstalling the current firmware in case there was a glitch in the upgrade process.  

I'll report back as I work through this.

by litesnsirens on 2013-04-21 23:15:28

Well re-installing the current firmware did the trick.  It wasn't evident at first, but after messing around with the card a bit in the M20d, I finally got it to appear in record mode.  I'm a happy camper now, but it still seems odd that one SD card would work and the other wouldn't on the previous install.  Some things just can't be explained I guess.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.